Mailing List Archive: SPF: Deployment

Setup Wizard - names

SPF deployment RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

MDwyer at DWYER

Feb 10, 2005, 5:57 AM

Setup Wizard - names

When I run spf setup wizard, it reports 'This wizard found 4 names for
the MX servers for dwyer.com: relay.cosmoweb.net, mail,
mail1.stickdog.com, and exs.....'

Stickdog is my isp, mail and exs are the my mail server, but
relay.cosmoweb.net? Who the heck are they? Sounds like a spammer. How
did they get in there? How do I remove them?

Matt Dwyer

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-deployment [at] v2

spf2 at kitterman

Feb 10, 2005, 6:26 AM

RE: Setup Wizard - names [In reply to]

This is a topic more appropriate to spf-help. If necessary, please continue
the conversation there...

The wizard looks at your MX records and also the reverse DNS (PTR record for
the IP addresses of your MX receivers):

mail.DWYER.COM. --> A 64.156.242.194 --> PTR exs.dwyer.com.
mail1.stickdog.COM. --> A 17.224.234.66 --> PTR relay.cosmoweb.net.

Nothing unusual going on here. Just the common case where forward and
reverse DNS don't match.

Scott Kitterman

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-deployment [at] v2

mengwong at dumbo

Feb 10, 2005, 8:00 AM

Re: Setup Wizard - names [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 08:57:48AM -0500, Matt Dwyer wrote:
| When I run spf setup wizard, it reports 'This wizard found 4 names for
| the MX servers for dwyer.com: relay.cosmoweb.net, mail,
| mail1.stickdog.com, and exs.....'
|
| Stickdog is my isp, mail and exs are the my mail server, but
| relay.cosmoweb.net? Who the heck are they? Sounds like a spammer. How
| did they get in there? How do I remove them?

i wouldn't worry about it.

20050210-10:59:36 mengwong [at] dumb:~% dnsmx dwyer.com
10 mail.dwyer.com
20 mail1.stickdog.com
20050210-10:59:47 mengwong [at] dumb:~% dnsip mail1.stickdog.com.
66.234.224.17
20050210-10:59:50 mengwong [at] dumb:~% dnsname 66.234.224.17
relay.cosmoweb.net
20050210-10:59:52 mengwong [at] dumb:~%

-------