How-to trap 'src' spam

carey at itfreedom

Feb 9, 2004, 11:04 AM

How-to trap 'src' spam

Hi,

I'm wondering in general how best to catch what one might call 'src' or
'bitmap' spam, you know the spam that contains little more than src links to
bitmaps. My SA installation seems to miss a lot of it, so I'm wondering if
there's something straightforward I can do to catch it.

I'm running a stock SA setup of v2.63 from the van Dinter RPMs. I'm using
Bayes, but not Razor2, RBL, or any other such external services. I'd
appreciate any hints on how best to trap this stuff.

thanks in advance,
Carey

lists at sthomas

Feb 9, 2004, 11:16 AM

Re: How-to trap 'src' spam [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 12:04:12PM -0600, Carey Jung is rumored to have said:

> I'm running a stock SA setup of v2.63 from the van Dinter RPMs. I'm using
> Bayes, but not Razor2, RBL, or any other such external services. I'd
> appreciate any hints on how best to trap this stuff.

Turn on Razor2 and RBLs.

I haven't seen one of these image-only spams in my inbox in months.

--
"There is a country in Europe where multiple-choice tests are illegal."
- Sigfried Hulzer

carey at itfreedom

Feb 10, 2004, 7:39 AM

RE: How-to trap 'src' spam [In reply to]

> > I'm running a stock SA setup of v2.63 from the van Dinter RPMs.
> I'm using
> > Bayes, but not Razor2, RBL, or any other such external services. I'd
> > appreciate any hints on how best to trap this stuff.
>
> Turn on Razor2 and RBLs.
>
> I haven't seen one of these image-only spams in my inbox in months.

Okay, Razor2 is running, as are RBLs (which were already running). spamd
with -D (debug) flag confirms this. But I'm still seeing a lot of
image-only spam. Any other tricks or techniques I can throw at it, while at
the same time staying with a fairly 'default' configuration?

thanks,
Carey