Trouble shooting an installation of Spam Assassin for Windows

amber at clarkzoo

Jul 25, 2012, 9:25 AM

Trouble shooting an installation of Spam Assassin for Windows

Good morning!

I'm running into some problems I need some help in trouble shooting.

The Problems:

Problem A - Scoring information does not show up in HAM e-mails.

Problem B - Custom rules don't see to be applied.

Problem C - SpamAssassin.exe and spamd.exe appear to score spam differently.

The Platform:

Here is specific information about the installation.

Windows Server 2003

SpamAssassin 3.3.2

Perl 5.8.9

spamd.exe is running as a service

Please let me know if you need any additional information on the
installation.

Specifics about The Problems:

Problem A

In the etc\spamassassin\local.cf I've made the following line:

add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ tests=_TESTS_
autolearn=_AUTOLEARN_ version=_VERSION_

Problem B

In the etc\spamassassin\local.cf I've made the following lines:

body LOCAL_FREESCORE360 /FreeScore360/

score LOCAL_FREESCORE360 5.0

describe LOCAL_FREESCORE360 Push e-mails that contain FreeScore360 to
the top

I believe I've created that custom rule correctly, but I'm not sure.

Problem C

There are some spam e-mails I get that do not get flagged by spamd.exe but
spamassassin.exe does flag it. Here is the header output from
spamassassin.exe on one sample e-mail.

C:\Program Files\JAM Software\SpamAssassin for Windows>spamassassin.exe
"e:Notification# Your Report Has Changed.0.msg"

Jul 25 09:18:52.743 [4220] warn: razor2: razor2 check failed: Bad file
descriptor Insecure dependency in open while running with -T switch at
/<C:\Program Files\JAM Software\SpamAssassin for
Windows\sawin.dll>Razor2/Client/Config.pm line 51

2, <GEN4> line 1. at /<C:\Program Files\JAM Software\SpamAssassin for
Windows\sawin.dll>Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/Razor2.pm line 325.

with SpamAssassin (version 3.3.2);

Wed, 25 Jul 2012 09:18:52 -0700

MISSING_FROM,MISSING_HEADERS,MISSING_MID,MISSING_SUBJECT,NORMAL_HTTP_TO_IP,

NO_HEADERS_MESSAGE,NO_RECEIVED,NO_RELAYS,NULL_IN_BODY autolearn=no

version=3.3.2

(truncated)

As a note, this e-mail should've tripped the LOCAL_FREESCORE360 rule.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Love,

amber

<http://blog.stopped-motion.com/> blog.stopped-motion.com

amber at clarkzoo

Jul 26, 2012, 6:50 AM

RE: Trouble shooting an installation of Spam Assassin for Windows [In reply to]

Good morning, Daniel.

First thank you, for responding, but I fail to see the relevance of your
response. The included output from spamassassin.exe show it's processing the
files without complaint, save for one warning, and properly tagging the
message as spam whereas the service (spamd.exe) is failing to do so.

I've attached two sample files to this message, one that has been correctly
tagged as spam and one that was improperly not tagged as spam.

Could you elaborate, please?

Love,

amber

blog.stopped-motion.com <http://blog.stopped-motion.com/>