use_bayes=0 completly disables report function

marcin at mejor

use_bayes=0 completly disables report function

Hello,
i've notice when i set use_bayes 0 then spamc -C report stops to work.
I've got in log: spamd: Can't call method "learn" on an undefined value
at /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.12.4/Mail/SpamAs
sassin/PerMsgLearner.pm line 111, <GEN187> line 117.

Whay i've to use bayes when i want to report spam to
spamcop/dcc/pyzor/razor/etc ? Couldn't it be independent?
Regards,
Marcin

darxus at chaosreigns

Re: use_bayes=0 completly disables report function [In reply to]

On 04/20, Marcin Mirosław wrote:
> Hello,
> i've notice when i set use_bayes 0 then spamc -C report stops to work.
> I've got in log: spamd: Can't call method "learn" on an undefined value

bayes_learn_during_report 0

--
"Safe is anywhere a hungry person can't walk in three days." - John Titor
http://www.ChaosReigns.com

marcin at mejor

Re: use_bayes=0 completly disables report function [In reply to]

W dniu 2012-04-21 04:58, darxus [at] chaosreigns pisze:
> On 04/20, Marcin Mirosław wrote:
>> Hello,
>> i've notice when i set use_bayes 0 then spamc -C report stops to work.
>> I've got in log: spamd: Can't call method "learn" on an undefined value
>
> bayes_learn_during_report 0

Hi darxus,
thanks for reply. It solves my problem in half. I'd like to completly
turn off bayes. I'm guessing, as for now, it's the best to set
connection to non existent database (disadvantage is high number of
error messages in log).
Thanks,
Marcin

marcin at mejor

Re: use_bayes=0 completly disables report function [In reply to]

W dniu 2012-04-21 07:38, Marcin Mirosław pisze:
> I'm guessing, as for now, it's the best to set
> connection to non existent database (disadvantage is high number of
> error messages in log).

I tried, it looks none rror messages appears in logs. Fine for me:)
Regards,
Marcin

rwmaillists at googlemail

Re: use_bayes=0 completly disables report function [In reply to]

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 07:38:32 +0200
Marcin Mirosław wrote:

> W dniu 2012-04-21 04:58, darxus [at] chaosreigns pisze:
> > On 04/20, Marcin Mirosław wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >> i've notice when i set use_bayes 0 then spamc -C report stops to
> >> work. I've got in log: spamd: Can't call method "learn" on an
> >> undefined value
> >
> > bayes_learn_during_report 0
>
> Hi darxus,
> thanks for reply. It solves my problem in half. I'd like to completly
> turn off bayes.

Why does it only half solve your problem?

rwmaillists at googlemail

Re: use_bayes=0 completly disables report function [In reply to]

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 14:27:42 +0200
Marcin Mirosław wrote:

> >> Hi darxus,
> >> thanks for reply. It solves my problem in half. I'd like to
> >> completly turn off bayes.
> >
> > Why does it only half solve your problem?
>
> Because option bayes_learn_during_report turns off bayes for reported
> messages but still bayes is used for classify incoming messages.

That's what use_bayes 0 is for.

Unless you really have to, turning-off Bayes is a bad idea. The FP rate
is much higher without it.

jpff at codemist

Re: use_bayes=0 completly disables report function [In reply to]

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012, RW wrote:

> That's what use_bayes 0 is for.
>
> Unless you really have to, turning-off Bayes is a bad idea. The FP rate
> is much higher without it.

Beyes does not make much sense in a multi-user, diverse community such as
my university department. Makes sense here (small company; small user
base)

==John ff

axb.lists at gmail

Re: use_bayes=0 completly disables report function [In reply to]

On 04/20/2012 11:20 PM, Marcin Mirosław wrote:
> Hello,
> i've notice when i set use_bayes 0 then spamc -C report stops to work.
> I've got in log: spamd: Can't call method "learn" on an undefined value
> at /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.12.4/Mail/SpamAs
> sassin/PerMsgLearner.pm line 111,<GEN187> line 117.
>
> Whay i've to use bayes when i want to report spam to
> spamcop/dcc/pyzor/razor/etc ? Couldn't it be independent?
> Regards,
> Marcin

http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.3.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.txt

You want:

use_bayes 1
use_bayes_rules 0
use_learner 1

h2h

Axb

dbfunk at engineering

Re: use_bayes=0 completly disables report function [In reply to]

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012, John ffitch wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012, RW wrote:
>

>> That's what use_bayes 0 is for.
>>
>> Unless you really have to, turning-off Bayes is a bad idea. The FP rate
>> is much higher without it.
>>

> Beyes does not make much sense in a multi-user, diverse community such as my
> university department. Makes sense here (small company; small user base)
>
> ==John ff

I'll have to disagree with that, as a person running a mail server for a
university college (organizational unit bigger than a department) which has
thousands of users. Bayes may not be as deadly accurate as it would in a
totally homogeneous environment but still worthwhile.

Altho the ham may be all over the ball-park, the spam tends to cluster in
waves. Also Bayes is as much about the headers as it is the body and so
will find commonalities that aren't obvious at first glance.

FWIW I run a site-wide bayes with auto-learning and occasional hand
training. Maybe not optimal but still worth doing and doesn't need much
attention. Over the past 9 years I've had to discard my Bayes database and
start from fresh (due to going totally off the rails) -once-.

--
Dave Funk University of Iowa
<dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu> College of Engineering

marcin at mejor

Re: use_bayes=0 completly disables report function [In reply to]

W dniu 2012-04-21 15:29, Axb pisze:
Hello,
> http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.3.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.txt
>
> You want:
>
> use_bayes 1
> use_bayes_rules 0
> use_learner 1

I found use_learner 0 is better for me, bayes engine isn't called while
message is reported.
Thanks for tip!
Marcin