update channel list

micah at riseup

Jan 18, 2012, 8:14 AM

update channel list

I've had the following channel list for a while:

updates.spamassassin.org
sought.rules.yerp.org
khop-bl.sa.khopesh.com
khop-blessed.sa.khopesh.com
khop-general.sa.khopesh.com
khop-sc-neighbors.sa.khopesh.com

but I suspect that some of these are no longer good. I was hoping folks
out there might be able to make some suggestions for improvements?

thanks,
micah

--

darxus at chaosreigns

Jan 18, 2012, 9:25 AM

Re: update channel list [In reply to]

On 01/18, Micah Anderson wrote:
> updates.spamassassin.org
> sought.rules.yerp.org
> khop-bl.sa.khopesh.com
> khop-blessed.sa.khopesh.com
> khop-general.sa.khopesh.com
> khop-sc-neighbors.sa.khopesh.com
>
> but I suspect that some of these are no longer good. I was hoping folks
> out there might be able to make some suggestions for improvements?

All of those are currently listed by Adam Katz on
http://khopesh.com/wiki/Anti-spam
I expect that list to be up to date.
He's an active spamassassin developer.

That page also lists 90_2tld.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net. I doubt there
are any others worth using. If there are, they should probably get added
to http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CustomRulesets
If there were more sa-update channels that were useful, I'd recommend
breaking that page up a little more to put the rule sets with update
channels at the top.

If you're looking to improve SA accuracy in general, I've tried to make a
thorough checklist here:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/ImproveAccuracy

--
"You only truly own what you can carry at a dead run."
- 14th & 15th century Landsknechts

axb.lists at gmail

Jan 18, 2012, 10:11 AM

Re: update channel list [In reply to]

On 2012-01-18 18:25, darxus [at] chaosreigns wrote:
> On 01/18, Micah Anderson wrote:
>> updates.spamassassin.org
>> sought.rules.yerp.org
>> khop-bl.sa.khopesh.com
>> khop-blessed.sa.khopesh.com
>> khop-general.sa.khopesh.com
>> khop-sc-neighbors.sa.khopesh.com
>>
>> but I suspect that some of these are no longer good. I was hoping folks
>> out there might be able to make some suggestions for improvements?
>
> All of those are currently listed by Adam Katz on
> http://khopesh.com/wiki/Anti-spam
> I expect that list to be up to date.
> He's an active spamassassin developer.
>
> That page also lists 90_2tld.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net.

This is obsolete / unmantained

It was replaced by SA's default 20_aux_tlds.cf
(actively mantained)

micah at riseup

Jan 19, 2012, 11:11 AM

Re: update channel list [In reply to]

darxus [at] chaosreigns writes:

> On 01/18, Micah Anderson wrote:
>> updates.spamassassin.org
>> sought.rules.yerp.org
>> khop-bl.sa.khopesh.com
>> khop-blessed.sa.khopesh.com
>> khop-general.sa.khopesh.com
>> khop-sc-neighbors.sa.khopesh.com
>>
>> but I suspect that some of these are no longer good. I was hoping folks
>> out there might be able to make some suggestions for improvements?
>
> All of those are currently listed by Adam Katz on
> http://khopesh.com/wiki/Anti-spam
> I expect that list to be up to date.
> He's an active spamassassin developer.
>
> That page also lists 90_2tld.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net. I doubt there
> are any others worth using. If there are, they should probably get added
> to http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CustomRulesets
> If there were more sa-update channels that were useful, I'd recommend
> breaking that page up a little more to put the rule sets with update
> channels at the top.
>
> If you're looking to improve SA accuracy in general, I've tried to make a
> thorough checklist here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/ImproveAccuracy

Thanks, I'm going through that list to find anything that I dont have.

I noticed that pyzor is recommended there. I had disabled it because it
seemed like it was no longer being developed.

I am trying to get it enabled, but I am running into the issue reported
here: https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/pyzor/ticket/163

I've requested a masscheck account, but am still waiting on that.

I also noticed I didn't have these perl modules:

Jan 19 11:05:06.710 [17267] dbg: diag: [...] module not installed: IP::Country::Fast ('require' failed)
Jan 19 11:05:06.710 [17267] dbg: diag: [...] module not installed: IO::Socket::INET6 ('require' failed)

The INET6 one probably isn't necessary because I dont have ipv6 yet. I
couldn't find the IP::Country::Fast moduole as a debian package,
although there is libgeo-ipfree-perl, its unclear if that can be used
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=374879)...

Everything else on that page, except for your mention of
90_2tld.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net I've done.

thanks,
micah

--

darxus at chaosreigns

Jan 19, 2012, 11:32 AM

Re: update channel list [In reply to]

On 01/19, Micah Anderson wrote:
> I noticed that pyzor is recommended there. I had disabled it because it
> seemed like it was no longer being developed.

The second highest ranked SA rule is DIGEST_MULTIPLE, which is where an
email hits both PYZOR_CHECK and RAZOR2_CHECK (or one of those and
DCC_CHECK, but that's not getting any hits in ruleqa). So it definitely
seems useful. Maybe it hasn't seen much maintenance lately because it just
doesn't need it?

> I am trying to get it enabled, but I am running into the issue reported
> here: https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/pyzor/ticket/163

Have I been talking to you on IRC about this? If that bug report is
correct, a bug should be opened against spamassassin to fix parsing of
pyzor output.

> Everything else on that page, except for your mention of
> 90_2tld.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net I've done.

Axb responded to my post saying that that's obsolete, replaced by a file
now included in sa-updates.

depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw
http://www.ChaosReigns.com

antispam at khopis

Jan 20, 2012, 12:22 PM

Re: update channel list [In reply to]

On 01/18/2012 09:25 AM, darxus [at] chaosreigns wrote:
> All of those are currently listed by Adam Katz on
> http://khopesh.com/wiki/Anti-spam
> I expect that list to be up to date.
> He's an active spamassassin developer.

All of my channels are still relevant, though the only actively
(automatically) updated one is khop-sc-neighbors. khop-blessed is also
useful if you're looking for ways to limit FPs. The rest are only
useful if you want to get more aggressive than the upstream, as almost
all of those rules are ready for promotion through my svn sandbox.

> That page also lists 90_2tld.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net.

That one is only useful for sa3.2.5 users. I need to update my site.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)