auto-whitelist format question

ian at cablelabs

Jan 31, 2004, 9:52 AM

auto-whitelist format question

For nearly 9 months we have been running SpamAssassin 2.54, and each user's
auto-whitelist was stored in DBM format (auto-whitelist.{dir,pag}). In
anticipation of upgrading to 2.6x, I installed BerkeleyDB and DB_File.
SpamAssassin started using "auto-whitelist", NOT the .dir and .pag
files, I presume it is a BerkeleyDB file. Here is a user's .spamassassin
directory after DB_File was installed:
-rw------- 1 1 1 4096 Jan 14 23:59 bayes_seen.dir
-rw------- 1 1 1 4096 Jan 15 06:00 auto-whitelist.dir
-rw------- 1 1 1 4194304 Jan 15 06:00 bayes_toks.pag
-rw------- 1 1 1 4096 Jan 15 06:00 bayes_toks.dir
-rw------- 1 1 1 2044928 Jan 15 06:00 bayes_seen.pag
-rw------- 1 1 1 16761856 Jan 15 06:30 auto-whitelist.pag
-rw------- 1 1 1 1302528 Jan 29 08:54 bayes_toks
-rw------- 1 1 1 90112 Jan 29 08:54 bayes_seen
-rw------- 1 1 1 3926 Jan 29 09:01 bayes_msgcount
-rw------- 1 1 1 2318320 Jan 29 09:01 bayes_journal
-rw------- 1 1 1 1335296 Jan 29 09:01 auto-whitelist
Note that the .dir and .pag files haven't been touched in weeks.

In a beta test of SA 2.63, it reverted to using the DBM-formatted .dir
and .pag files. Here is an example of the .spamassassin directory:
-rw------- 1 10001 1 1165 Jan 28 13:14 user_prefs
-rw------- 1 10001 1 24576 Jan 28 13:14 bayes_toks
-rw------- 1 10001 1 24576 Jan 28 13:14 bayes_seen
-rw------- 1 10001 1 1024 Jan 28 13:14 auto-whitelist.pag
-rw------- 1 10001 1 0 Jan 28 13:14 auto-whitelist.dir

Can someone please clarify how SA chooses what format to use for
auto-whitelists? Both 2.54 and 2.63 reliably use BerkeleyDB for Bayes
files, so I don't know why the latest version has reverted to DBM for
auto-whitelists.

TIA,

Ian