Spamassassin Moves Mailbox

robob at robob

Dec 20, 2011, 6:26 PM

Spamassassin Moves Mailbox

Hello Folks,

Every time I start Spamassassin it moves my mailbox to /var/spool/mail
when the correct location is /home/spool/mail . I also get some
BOGUS./mymailboxname/.xxx . Where xxx is various combinations of
something like FyXB .

I am running SpamAssassin version 3.3.2 running on Perl version 5.10.1
. This in turn is running on Mandriva 2010.2 with Postfix 2.7.0 . Also
running dovecot 1.2.15 .

I get a LOT of spam so I really need to get Spamassassin to work. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

KMcGrail at PCCC

Dec 20, 2011, 6:34 PM

Re: Spamassassin Moves Mailbox [In reply to]

> Every time I start Spamassassin it moves my mailbox to /var/spool/mail
> when the correct location is /home/spool/mail . I also get some
> BOGUS./mymailboxname/.xxx . Where xxx is various combinations of
> something like FyXB .
>
> I am running SpamAssassin version 3.3.2 running on Perl version 5.10.1
> . This in turn is running on Mandriva 2010.2 with Postfix 2.7.0 .
> Also running dovecot 1.2.15 .
>
> I get a LOT of spam so I really need to get Spamassassin to work. Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.
SpamAssassin doesn't move mail. I have a feeling you might be using
procmail to implement your spamassassin test and it's delivering the
mail for the users to /var/spool/mail.

Regards,
KAM

robob at robob

Dec 20, 2011, 6:36 PM

Re: Spamassassin Moves Mailbox [In reply to]

On 12/20/11 8:34 PM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

>> Every time I start Spamassassin it moves my mailbox to
>> /var/spool/mail when the correct location is /home/spool/mail . I
>> also get some BOGUS./mymailboxname/.xxx . Where xxx is various
>> combinations of something like FyXB .
>>
>> I am running SpamAssassin version 3.3.2 running on Perl version
>> 5.10.1 . This in turn is running on Mandriva 2010.2 with Postfix
>> 2.7.0 . Also running dovecot 1.2.15 .
>>
>> I get a LOT of spam so I really need to get Spamassassin to work.
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> SpamAssassin doesn't move mail. I have a feeling you might be using
> procmail to implement your spamassassin test and it's delivering the
> mail for the users to /var/spool/mail.
>
> Regards,
> KAM
So how do I fix it?

Thanks:-)

robob at robob

Dec 20, 2011, 6:39 PM

Re: Spamassassin Moves Mailbox [In reply to]

On 12/20/11 8:34 PM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

>> Every time I start Spamassassin it moves my mailbox to
>> /var/spool/mail when the correct location is /home/spool/mail . I
>> also get some BOGUS./mymailboxname/.xxx . Where xxx is various
>> combinations of something like FyXB .
>>
>> I am running SpamAssassin version 3.3.2 running on Perl version
>> 5.10.1 . This in turn is running on Mandriva 2010.2 with Postfix
>> 2.7.0 . Also running dovecot 1.2.15 .
>>
>> I get a LOT of spam so I really need to get Spamassassin to work.
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> SpamAssassin doesn't move mail. I have a feeling you might be using
> procmail to implement your spamassassin test and it's delivering the
> mail for the users to /var/spool/mail.
>
> Regards,
> KAM

My .procmailrc in my home directory has MAILDIR=/home/spool/mail :-)

KMcGrail at PCCC

Dec 20, 2011, 6:51 PM

Re: Spamassassin Moves Mailbox [In reply to]

> My .procmailrc in my home directory has MAILDIR=/home/spool/mail :-)
What about /etc/procmailrc?

I would post the contents of both.

robob at robob

Dec 20, 2011, 6:57 PM

Re: Spamassassin Moves Mailbox [In reply to]

On 12/20/11 8:51 PM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

>> My .procmailrc in my home directory has MAILDIR=/home/spool/mail :-)
> What about /etc/procmailrc?
>
> I would post the contents of both.
I have no /etc/procmailrc so that Spamassassin only works on my email.
/home/me/.procmailrc is:

*LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail.log
VERBOSE=yes
LOGABSTRACT=all

:0fw
| /usr/local/bin/spamc

# Mail that is very likely spam (>15) can be dropped on the floor.
# Move the # down one line to drop it.
# Note that dropping mail on the floor is a *bad*
# idea unless you really, really believe no false positives will
# have a score greater than 15.

MAILDIR=/home/spool/mail

:0:
spam*

Thanks,
Robert

robob at robob

Dec 20, 2011, 8:35 PM

Re: Spamassassin Moves Mailbox [In reply to]

On 12/20/11 9:06 PM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> On 12/20/2011 9:57 PM, Robert A. Ober wrote:
>> *
>> MAILDIR=/home/spool/mail*
>
> I believe you are barking up the wrong tree with this. From man
> procmailrc, I believe you need to set DEFAULT though I must admit I
> use the system default /var/spool/mail so I'm not certain.
>
> MAILDIR Current directory while procmail is executing (that
> means that all paths are relative to $MAILDIR).
>
> DEFAULT Default mailbox file (if not told otherwise,
> procmail will dump mail in this mailbox). Procmail will automatically
> use $DEFAULT$LOCKEXT as lockfile prior to writing to this mailbox.
> You do not
> need to set this variable, since it already points
> to the standard system mailbox.

Default did the trick as far as the mailbox not moving. Spamd does not
catch any spam so I guess I need to research that again tomorrow.

Thanks for the fix!

Robert

robob at robob

Dec 20, 2011, 8:55 PM

Re: Spamassassin Moves Mailbox [In reply to]

On 12/20/11 10:35 PM, Robert A. Ober wrote:

> Default did the trick as far as the mailbox not moving. Spamd does
> not catch any spam so I guess I need to research that again tomorrow.

Wellllll,

I had deleted the .forward from my home directory that sends the email
through procmail. After creating .forward with the appropriate
command,it is now filtering and I did sa-update.

Thanks,
Robert

jdow at earthlink

Dec 20, 2011, 9:39 PM

Re: Spamassassin Moves Mailbox [In reply to]

On 2011/12/20 18:51, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

>> My .procmailrc in my home directory has MAILDIR=/home/spool/mail :-)
> What about /etc/procmailrc?
>
> I would post the contents of both.

It makes a difference how procmail is called. It is a filter. It takes an
input and feeds it to the output. It would then be sendmail (or postfix or
whatever) that actually stuffs the mail into the mail folder where sendmail
thinks it should live.

This could be short circuited with these stanzas, for example.

* From: postmaster [at] badguy
/dev/null

:0
/$HOME/mail/inbox

The 1st stanza discards obnoxious critters without recourse. They vanish
from the mail queue. The 2nd one sends all mail to /home/<user>/mail/inbox.

{^_^}

me at junc

Dec 20, 2011, 10:59 PM

Re: Spamassassin Moves Mailbox [In reply to]

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 20:26:38 -0600, Robert A. Ober wrote:

> Every time I start Spamassassin it moves my mailbox to
> /var/spool/mail when the correct location is /home/spool/mail . I
> also
> get some BOGUS._mymailboxname_.xxx . Where xxx is various
> combinations
> of something like FyXB .

how do you start sa ?

> I am running SpamAssassin version 3.3.2 running on Perl version
> 5.10.1 . This in turn is running on Mandriva 2010.2 with Postfix
> 2.7.0
> . Also running dovecot 1.2.15 .

should be fine, but i say its more a dovecot issue then sa, since sa
only tags, not moving

> I get a LOT of spam so I really need to get Spamassassin to work.
> Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.

welcome to the club :-)

me at junc

Dec 20, 2011, 11:07 PM

Re: Spamassassin Moves Mailbox [In reply to]

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 20:36:11 -0600, Robert A. Ober wrote:
> So how do I fix it?

try dovecot sieve ?, or add dovecot-antispam, this should get you
started :)

http://sieve.info/
http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/Projects/dovecot-antispam

thomas.kinghorn at gmail

Dec 20, 2011, 11:18 PM

Re: Spamassassin Moves Mailbox [In reply to]

On 21/12/2011 06:55, Robert A. Ober wrote:
On 12/20/11 10:35 PM, Robert A. Ober wrote:

Default did the trick as far as the mailbox not moving. Spamd does not catch any spam so I guess I need to research that again tomorrow.

Wellllll,

I had deleted the .forward from my home directory that sends the email through procmail. After creating .forward with the appropriate command,it is now filtering and I did sa-update.

Thanks,
Robert

Excellent, now all you need to do is train SpamAssassin with some spam & ham (non spam) messages.

regards

Tom

KMcGrail at PCCC

Dec 21, 2011, 4:34 AM

Re: Spamassassin Moves Mailbox [In reply to]

On 12/21/2011 12:39 AM, jdow wrote:
> On 2011/12/20 18:51, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>>

>>> My .procmailrc in my home directory has MAILDIR=/home/spool/mail :-)
>> What about /etc/procmailrc?
>>
>> I would post the contents of both.
>
> It makes a difference how procmail is called. It is a filter. It takes an
> input and feeds it to the output. It would then be sendmail (or
> postfix or
> whatever) that actually stuffs the mail into the mail folder where
> sendmail
> thinks it should live.
Actually, procmail is Sendmail's Local Delivery Agent. It *is* the part
of Sendmail that delivers the mail to specific folders.

It also has very powerful filtering commands that can be used along the
way to the local delivery.

Regards,
KAM

rwmaillists at googlemail

Dec 21, 2011, 6:11 AM

Re: Spamassassin Moves Mailbox [In reply to]

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:34:36 -0500
Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> Actually, procmail is Sendmail's Local Delivery Agent. It *is* the
> part of Sendmail that delivers the mail to specific folders.

I don't know whether that was historically true, but procmail is a
separate project, and one that has been unmaintained for a decade.

Matthias Andree, a fetchmail maintainer, tried to have it deprecated and
removed from the FreeBSD ports tree:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:06:52 +0200
Matthias Andree wrote:

> I was just about to grab the port, deprecate and set two months
> expiration date.
>
> Now that you're maintaining it I seek you to please let this
> unmaintained unclean code from our FreeBSD ports world and deprecate
> it.
>
> The code is unmaintainable, hasn't seen maintenance in a decade,
> is hard to use properly because of its fall-through "error handling"
> (actually nonhandling) behaviour, and should finally disappear.

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:07:38 +0200
Matthias Andree wrote:

> On the other hand, a 700+ line long .procmailrc "in a critical
> application" is usually a mistake in itself already and always was,
> unless you're one of the few who has a recipe like
>
> :0e
> {
> EXITCODE=75
> HOST
> }
>
> after each and every single recipe that can fail in some way (most
> importantly, delivering recipes).
>
> Few people know it's necessary, as it's not explicitly documented, but
> just working around documented fall-through behaviour -- and as a side
> effect it voids the "else"-style recipes.
>
> Beyond that, there are pending bug fixes that never made it into a
> release, check the 3.23pre announcement at
> <ftp://ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/packages/procmail/procmail-history.html>
>
> Bottom line: the sooner we get rid from procmail the better

KMcGrail at PCCC

Dec 21, 2011, 7:20 AM

Re: Spamassassin Moves Mailbox [In reply to]

On 12/21/2011 9:11 AM, RW wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:34:36 -0500
> Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>

>> Actually, procmail is Sendmail's Local Delivery Agent. It *is* the
>> part of Sendmail that delivers the mail to specific folders.
> I don't know whether that was historically true, but procmail is a
> separate project, and one that has been unmaintained for a decade.
Sorry, I should have added "on the server in question" to my statement.
From what he was describing procmail was being used as the local
delivery agent and he confirmed that changing the procmailrc fixed his
issue. Now, he's technically delivering to a .forward from postfix
calling procmail filtering with spamassassin and delivering at that
standpoint.

> Matthias Andree, a fetchmail maintainer, tried to have it deprecated and
> removed from the FreeBSD ports tree:
Good luck. Did the people who speak fluent .procmailrc try and tar and
feather him? ;-)

Regards,
KAM

jdow at earthlink

Dec 21, 2011, 10:10 AM

Re: Spamassassin Moves Mailbox [In reply to]

On 2011/12/21 04:34, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

>>> What about /etc/procmailrc?
>>>
>>> I would post the contents of both.
>>
>> It makes a difference how procmail is called. It is a filter. It takes an
>> input and feeds it to the output. It would then be sendmail (or postfix or
>> whatever) that actually stuffs the mail into the mail folder where sendmail
>> thinks it should live.
> Actually, procmail is Sendmail's Local Delivery Agent. It *is* the part of
> Sendmail that delivers the mail to specific folders.
>
> It also has very powerful filtering commands that can be used along the way to
> the local delivery.

Oops - my mistrake. I forgot that the testing I did always used the -m flag
which turns it into a mail filter. So does sendmail here (RedHat default),
Mprocmail, P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=mSDFMhun, S=11, R=21,
A=procmail -Y -m $h $f $u

If -m is not there procmail will create the /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME file that
is annoying the fellow.

MAILDIR, however, is where procmail thinks it is when it's running. So this
stanza places foobar in MAILDIR. But falling out of the end of procmail
leading to a normal delivery may not put it into that directory.

:0:
foobar

From man procmailex - this is the usual usage for MAILDIR such as when you
have procmail presort mail into folders:

MAILDIR=Mail

:0:/usr/local/lib/emacs/lock/!home!john!Mail!mailbox
* ^Subject:.*whatever
mailbox

ORGMAIL might be the variable he probably wants to use. (It defaults to
/var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME) To use it he may need to make /var/spool/mail/
<username> read only for everybody. Then the overflow goes to ORGMAIL.

Of course, he could turn /var/spool/mail into a link to /home/spool/mail
or wherever else he wants it. But that's "cheating".

{^_^}

rwmaillists at googlemail

Dec 21, 2011, 2:31 PM

Re: Spamassassin Moves Mailbox [In reply to]

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 10:20:09 -0500
Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> On 12/21/2011 9:11 AM, RW wrote:

> > Matthias Andree, a fetchmail maintainer, tried to have it
> > deprecated and removed from the FreeBSD ports tree:
> Good luck. Did the people who speak fluent .procmailrc try and tar
> and feather him? ;-)

One did, but it turned-out he wasn't quite as fluent as he thought he
was. Most wanted to keep it, whatever its problems, because it's too
much trouble to change. There's been some subsequent discussion about
migrating out of procmail. I don't recall anyone making the case for
it as the mda of choice.

bob at proulx

Dec 21, 2011, 4:44 PM

Re: Spamassassin Moves Mailbox [In reply to]

RW wrote:
> Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> > RW wrote:
> > > Matthias Andree, a fetchmail maintainer, tried to have it
> > > deprecated and removed from the FreeBSD ports tree:
> >
> > Good luck. Did the people who speak fluent .procmailrc try and tar
> > and feather him? ;-)
>
> One did, but it turned-out he wasn't quite as fluent as he thought he
> was. Most wanted to keep it, whatever its problems, because it's too
> much trouble to change. There's been some subsequent discussion about
> migrating out of procmail. I don't recall anyone making the case for
> it as the mda of choice.

People seem to forget that if they don't like something then they
don't have to use it.

Bob

Happy procmail user since before the :0 days when you had to specify
the number of lines that followed.

jdow at earthlink

Dec 21, 2011, 8:20 PM

Re: Spamassassin Moves Mailbox [In reply to]

On 2011/12/21 14:31, RW wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 10:20:09 -0500
> Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>
>> On 12/21/2011 9:11 AM, RW wrote:
>
>>> Matthias Andree, a fetchmail maintainer, tried to have it
>>> deprecated and removed from the FreeBSD ports tree:
>> Good luck. Did the people who speak fluent .procmailrc try and tar
>> and feather him? ;-)
>
> One did, but it turned-out he wasn't quite as fluent as he thought he
> was. Most wanted to keep it, whatever its problems, because it's too
> much trouble to change. There's been some subsequent discussion about
> migrating out of procmail. I don't recall anyone making the case for
> it as the mda of choice.

Out of curiosity I thought I'd take a gander at the code - it is, indeed,
a bloody horror.

{O.O}