BUGs? (Re: Upgraded to new spamassassin(3.3.2(, and now it won't work (no rules.....ran sa-update, nada...)_

sa-user at tlinx

Oct 31, 2011, 3:19 PM

Linda Walsh wrote:

> Sorry, included that in my subject....
>
> I did run sa-update, all it says (put it in verbose mode) is that
> the rules are up to date.
>
> Initially it did download the rules into
> /var/lib/spamassassin/<version>/<more subdirs>.
>
> Those files are still there, but spamd is,
> apparently, not seeing them.

---
I finally solved this by copying all the rules from
/etc/mail/spamassassin into /usr/share/spamassassin...and then
it was all happy.

Of course this would seem to break multiple rules about where to keep the
various rule sets...but hey, maybe spamd didn't get the memo about where
it was supposed to look... I dunno...

It IS looking in /var/lib/spamassassin, but that was failing, because it
couldn't find 'Mail::SpamAssassin/CompiledRegexps/body_0.pm'.

It's the file that includes all the compiled expressions.

The path structure under /var/lib/spamassassin is a bit confused/confusing.

That's what cased that error. I.e. dir struct under /var/lib/spamassassin
looks like:

Ishtar:/var/lib/spamassassin> tree -FNhsR --filelimit 7
.
├── [ 71] 3.003002/
│ ├── [4.0K] updates_spamassassin_org/ [61 entries exceeds filelimit,
not opening dir]
│ └── [2.5K] updates_spamassassin_org.cf
├── [ 18] compiled/
│ └── [ 21] 5.012/
│ └── [ 50] 3.003002/
###### under the 3.003002 dir under compiled is it gets interesting....
###### two trees for Mail/SA/CompiledRegexps, one rooted here,
###### but the other 'down' a level under 'auto'
###### (where the real binaries are.
│ ├── [ 17] auto/
│ │ └── [ 25] Mail/
│ │ └── [ 28] SpamAssassin/
│ │ └── [ 35] CompiledRegexps/
│ │ ├── [ 54] body_0/
│ │ │ ├── [ 0] body_0.bs
│ │ │ └── [1.3M] body_0.so*
│ │ └── [ 51K] body_0.pm #was missing
│ ├── [237K] bases_body_0.pl
│ └── [ 25] Mail/
│ └── [ 28] SpamAssassin/
│ └── [ 22] CompiledRegexps/
│ └── [ 51K] body_0.pm #copied to above
├── [2.6K] user_prefs*
└── [2.6K] user_prefs.template*

13 directories, 8 files

As for why it didn't find rules in /etc/mail/SA (it DID read /etc/mail/SA,
just didn't regard anything there as a rule)...so duping those files
into /usr/share/SA, made them magically become 'rules'....

I assume, of course, this is correct-by-design behavior? ;-)
(*cough*)