anyone know anything about lashback?

michael.scheidell at secnap

Aug 9, 2011, 6:39 AM

anyone know anything about lashback?

does anyone know about this rbl?

<http://www.lashback.com/blacklist/>

We have a persistent sender who is sending phishing emails through a
large corporate server (not ours .. ;-)

the only two reputation filters that list them are the commercial DCC,
and lashback.

(oh, where do I submit the phishing url...) its not listed either.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
>*| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

* Best Mobile Solutions Product of 2011
* Best Intrusion Prevention Product
* Hot Company Finalist 2011
* Best Email Security Product
* Certified SNORT Integrator

dan.mcdonald at austinenergy

Aug 9, 2011, 7:04 AM

Re: anyone know anything about lashback? [In reply to]

On 8/9/11 8:39 AM, "Michael Scheidell" <michael.scheidell [at] secnap> wrote:

> does anyone know about this rbl?
>
> <http://www.lashback.com/blacklist/>

I'm using it, but not overly impressed.

$ grep RCVD_IN_LB /var/log/mail/info.log | grep No, | wc
828 20190 320863
$ grep RCVD_IN_LB /var/log/mail/info.log | grep Yes, | wc
819 34916 640573

I haven't had any false negatives reported to me that have hit this RBL.

I don't score it high enough that it has yielded any false positives.

> We have a persistent sender who is sending phishing emails through a
> large corporate server (not ours .. ;-)
>
> the only two reputation filters that list them are the commercial DCC,
> and lashback.
>
> (oh, where do I submit the phishing url...) its not listed either.

Antiphishing.org tends to be the best at disseminating phishing info to
multiple groups.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281

wtogami at gmail

Aug 9, 2011, 12:18 PM

Re: anyone know anything about lashback? [In reply to]

On 8/9/2011 3:39 AM, Michael Scheidell wrote:
> does anyone know about this rbl?
>
> <http://www.lashback.com/blacklist/>
>
> We have a persistent sender who is sending phishing emails through a
> large corporate server (not ours .. ;-)
>
> the only two reputation filters that list them are the commercial DCC,
> and lashback.
>
> (oh, where do I submit the phishing url...) its not listed either.

http://www.spamtips.org/2011/05/dnsbl-safety-report-5142011.html
UBL has been tested multiple times in the past two years with dismal
results. When using spamassassin's corpus, it has demonstrated poor
spam detection rates, high false positives, and high rates of
unreliability making it dangerous to rely upon for your spam filtering
deployment. Our own tests were not alone in making this assessment.

Warren

me at junc

Aug 9, 2011, 10:31 PM

Re: anyone know anything about lashback? [In reply to]

www.phishtank.com
www.mywot.com