Spamassasin - SQLITE as storage database

pavel.muller at solnet

Spamassasin - SQLITE as storage database

Hello,

do you have any experience with usage of SQLITE database as storage for
Spamassassin? Spamassassin uses Berkeley DB, but I need to replace it. I
could not find any manual, guide or just phorum discussion about
colaboration Sapmassassin with SQLITE. I apreciate each advice.

Thanks a lot

lawrencewilliams at nl

Re: Spamassasin - SQLITE as storage database [In reply to]

On 17/05/2011 12:06 PM, monolit939 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> do you have any experience with usage of SQLITE database as storage for
> Spamassassin? Spamassassin uses Berkeley DB, but I need to replace it. I
> could not find any manual, guide or just phorum discussion about
> colaboration Sapmassassin with SQLITE. I apreciate each advice.
>
> Thanks a lot
I have no experience with this, but I do have experience with using
MySQL with InnoDB tables. The performance is actually much better than
Berkley DBs.

Regards,
Lawrence

xmulle14 at gmail

Re: Spamassasin - SQLITE as storage database [In reply to]

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately my boss wants to use just SQLITE.

Lawrence @ Rogers wrote:

> On 17/05/2011 12:06 PM, monolit939 wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> do you have any experience with usage of SQLITE database as storage for
>> Spamassassin? Spamassassin uses Berkeley DB, but I need to replace it. I
>> could not find any manual, guide or just phorum discussion about
>> colaboration Sapmassassin with SQLITE. I apreciate each advice.
>>
>> Thanks a lot
> I have no experience with this, but I do have experience with using
> MySQL with InnoDB tables. The performance is actually much better than
> Berkley DBs.
>
> Regards,
> Lawrence

Mark.Martinec+sa at ijs

Re: Spamassasin - SQLITE as storage database [In reply to]

On Wednesday May 18 2011 09:42:55 monolit wrote:
> >> do you have any experience with usage of SQLITE database as storage for
> >> Spamassassin? Spamassassin uses Berkeley DB, but I need to replace it.
> >> I could not find any manual, guide or just phorum discussion about
> >> colaboration Sapmassassin with SQLITE. I apreciate each advice.
> >
> Thanks for your post. Unfortunately my boss wants to use just SQLITE.

> Lawrence @ Rogers wrote:
> > I have no experience with this, but I do have experience with using
> > MySQL with InnoDB tables. The performance is actually much better than
> > Berkley DBs.

Bear in mind that MySQL with InnoDB (as well PostgreSQL) offer
fine-grained locking at a record level, which SQLite does not
(the last time I checked). It is very likely that SpamAssassin
could use SQLite as user preferences database (i.e. read-only)
with no problems, it is also very likely that the usage of
SQLite for a r/w database such as Bayes and AWL will cause
lock contention on a busy server.

Mark

jm at jmason

Re: Spamassasin - SQLITE as storage database [In reply to]

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:26, Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec+sa [at] ijs> wrote:

>> Thanks for your post. Unfortunately my boss wants to use just SQLITE.
>
>> Lawrence @ Rogers wrote:
>> > I have no experience with this, but I do have experience with using
>> > MySQL with InnoDB tables. The performance is actually much better than
>> > Berkley DBs.
>
> Bear in mind that MySQL with InnoDB (as well PostgreSQL) offer
> fine-grained locking at a record level, which SQLite does not
> (the last time I checked). It is very likely that SpamAssassin
> could use SQLite as user preferences database (i.e. read-only)
> with no problems, it is also very likely that the usage of
> SQLite for a r/w database such as Bayes and AWL will cause
> lock contention on a busy server.

iirc, Matt Sergeant looked into using SQLite early on, but abandoned
it due to the locking-related issues.

--j.