MySql to Oracle migration

jeffrey_lee at harvard

Oct 4, 2010, 1:52 PM

MySql to Oracle migration

I'm looking to migrate our RT v3.8.8 from MySql to Oracle. Has anyone done this before and if so any recommended steps? Any direction would be helpful!

Thanks,

Jeff

jeffrey_lee at harvard

Oct 5, 2010, 12:11 PM

Re: MySql to Oracle migration [In reply to]

I am unsure where to look to change the connect string from my current database to the new oracle database. Any suggestions?

-Jeff

I'm looking to migrate our RT v3.8.8 from MySql to Oracle. Has anyone done this before and if so any recommended steps? Any direction would be helpful!

Thanks,

Jeff

JoopvandeWege at mococo

Oct 5, 2010, 11:34 PM

Re: MySql to Oracle migration [In reply to]

Lee, Jeffrey wrote:

> I am unsure where to look to change the connect string from my current
> database to the new oracle database. Any suggestions?

I haven't migrated from Mysql to Oracle but do use Oracle.
If you haven't done so already, run configure with the appropriate
settings for Oracle, this is mine:
./configure --with-db-type=Oracle --with-db-dba=system --enable-gd
--enable-graphviz --enable-devel-mode --with-web-handler=modperl2
--with-db-database=$ORACLE_SID
where $ORACLE_SID is the instance name, sid, of the Oracle database
you're connecting to, or the tnsnames alias if its a remote db.
Further you'll need to change RT_SiteConfig.pm to use Oracle instead of
Mysql.

Set($DatabaseName , '$ORACLE_SID');
Set($DatabaseType , 'Oracle');

This should get going. Please beware that you read the DBD::Oracle
README before installing it. If you're environment is not set correctly
make test will fail and it won't install.
Also watch the version of DBD::Oracle. Search the archives for more info.

Regards,

Joop

ktm at rice

Re: mysql to oracle migration [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 05:03:09PM +0100, Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to migrate mysql to oracle to have full text search.
> I updated successfully a RT 3.6.10 to RT 4.0.5 using mysql. However, when I
> migrate data and objects to oracle using sql developer, there is some
> issues in the attachments encoding, for instance.
>
> Does anyone has migrated from mysql to oracle?
>
> Cheers,
> Pedro.

You may want to take a look at some of the MySQL->PostgreSQL scripts to
see how they handle attachments. I believe that Oracle would be very
similar.

Regards,
Ken

sabujp at gmail

Re: mysql to oracle migration [In reply to]

Looks like it's also supported with pgsql :

http://blog.bestpractical.com/2011/06/full-text-searching.html

if that's an option for you ...

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Pedro Albuquerque <pedroalb [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to migrate mysql to oracle to have full text search.
> I updated successfully a RT 3.6.10 to RT 4.0.5 using mysql. However, when I
> migrate data and objects to oracle using sql developer, there is some issues
> in the attachments encoding, for instance.
>
> Does anyone has migrated from mysql to oracle?
>
> Cheers,
> Pedro.

sabujp at gmail

Re: mysql to oracle migration [In reply to]

see this thread
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/rt/users/103305?do=post_view_threaded#103305

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Sabuj Pattanayek <sabujp [at] gmail> wrote:
> Looks like it's also supported with pgsql :
>
> http://blog.bestpractical.com/2011/06/full-text-searching.html
>
> if that's an option for you ...
>
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Pedro Albuquerque <pedroalb [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to migrate mysql to oracle to have full text search.
>> I updated successfully a RT 3.6.10 to RT 4.0.5 using mysql. However, when I
>> migrate data and objects to oracle using sql developer, there is some issues
>> in the attachments encoding, for instance.
>>
>> Does anyone has migrated from mysql to oracle?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Pedro.

pedroalb at gmail

Re: mysql to oracle migration [In reply to]

Thanks for the info.
I will take a look at these scripts and try to use them in Oracle.

I'll get back to you with updates.

Cheers,
Pedro.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Sabuj Pattanayek <sabujp [at] gmail> wrote:

> see this thread
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/rt/users/103305?do=post_view_threaded#103305
>
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Sabuj Pattanayek <sabujp [at] gmail>
> wrote:
> > Looks like it's also supported with pgsql :
> >
> > http://blog.bestpractical.com/2011/06/full-text-searching.html
> >
> > if that's an option for you ...
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Pedro Albuquerque <pedroalb [at] gmail>
> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am trying to migrate mysql to oracle to have full text search.
> >> I updated successfully a RT 3.6.10 to RT 4.0.5 using mysql. However,
> when I
> >> migrate data and objects to oracle using sql developer, there is some
> issues
> >> in the attachments encoding, for instance.
> >>
> >> Does anyone has migrated from mysql to oracle?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Pedro.

pedroalb at ebi

Re: mysql to oracle migration [In reply to]

Hi,

I took a look at the PostgreSQL scripts but they fail, for instance, when
migrating the attachments. Encoding is base64 in Oracle and other errors
occur.
I am wondering why RT mentions it is possible to migrate using Oracle SQL
developer if it does not work? Does anybody successfully migrated RT from
MySQL to Oracle?

Cheers,
Pedro.

Pedro Albuquerque-3 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to migrate mysql to oracle to have full text search.
> I updated successfully a RT 3.6.10 to RT 4.0.5 using mysql. However, when
> migrate data and objects to oracle using sql developer, there is some
> issues in the attachments encoding, for instance.
>
> Does anyone has migrated from mysql to oracle?
>
> Cheers,
> Pedro.

falcone at bestpractical

Re: mysql to oracle migration [In reply to]

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 06:59:21AM -0700, pedroalb wrote:

> I am wondering why RT mentions it is possible to migrate using Oracle SQL
> developer if it does not work? Does anybody successfully migrated RT from
> MySQL to Oracle?

Where does RT say that? I'd love to correct it, since I would never
expect it to work.

-kevin

pedroalb at ebi

Re: mysql to oracle migration [In reply to]

Hi Kevin,

Since this is written here,
http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/MySQLToOracle, I thought it would
work in some way.

Cheers,
Pedro.

On 02/05/2012 15:10, Kevin Falcone wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 06:59:21AM -0700, pedroalb wrote:
>
>> I am wondering why RT mentions it is possible to migrate using Oracle SQL
>> developer if it does not work? Does anybody successfully migrated RT from
>> MySQL to Oracle?
>>
> Where does RT say that? I'd love to correct it, since I would never
> expect it to work.
>
> -kevin

falcone at bestpractical

Re: mysql to oracle migration [In reply to]

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 03:13:58PM +0100, Pedro Albuquerque wrote:

> On 02/05/2012 15:10, Kevin Falcone wrote:
> >On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 06:59:21AM -0700, pedroalb wrote:
> >>I am wondering why RT mentions it is possible to migrate using Oracle SQL
> >>developer if it does not work? Does anybody successfully migrated RT from
> >>MySQL to Oracle?
> >Where does RT say that? I'd love to correct it, since I would never
> >expect it to work.

> Since this is written here,
> http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/MySQLToOracle, I thought it
> would work in some way.

Ah, that's a user contributed wiki page. I thought you meant it was
written in the official documentation. You'd need to find the author of
that page to know more. It might be worth editing the page to indicate
that it doesn't always "just work".

-kevin

pedroalb at ebi

Re: mysql to oracle migration [In reply to]

Sorry about this confusion. I'll wait for Scott since he already done this.

Cheers,
Pedro.

On 02/05/2012 16:16, Kevin Falcone wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 03:13:58PM +0100, Pedro Albuquerque wrote:

>>> Where does RT say that? I'd love to correct it, since I would never
>>> expect it to work.
>>>

>> Since this is written here,
>> http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/MySQLToOracle, I thought it
>> would work in some way.
>>
> Ah, that's a user contributed wiki page. I thought you meant it was
> written in the official documentation. You'd need to find the author of
> that page to know more. It might be worth editing the page to indicate
> that it doesn't always "just work".
>
> -kevin

sthild at gmail

Re: mysql to oracle migration [In reply to]

On 05/04/2012 08:14 AM, Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> I successfully migrated from MySQL to Oracle thanks to your script!
I don't know who wrote the script originally , but big thanks to them.

> I just had to make some minor changes but that was it.
> Regarding the sequences, I had to create a PL/SQL procedure to update
> the sequences.currval to have the max id for each table.
Yes, forgot to mention that one.

> Many thanks for your help :)
You're welcome, glad it went smooth. Best advice is not to use the
migration tool in SQLDeveloper, we
burnt a lot of time trying to get that to work. We should add the
sequence update to the code
and post it to the wiki.

> Cheers,
> Pedro.
>
> On 03/05/2012 15:04, Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
>> Hi Scott,
>>
>> Many thanks for the script and explanation.
>> I will take a look at this and will get back to you.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Pedro.
>>
>> On 02/05/2012 23:16, Scott wrote:
>>> We did this awhile ago, so my memory may be a little fuzzy. First
>>> off forget the SQLDeveloper migration,
>>> it mostly works but you have to work around some issues. Our
>>> biggest issue was that mysql defaults to
>>> utf8 and our Oracle DB's are not utf8, so some of the stored
>>> documents (mostly word) have don't totally
>>> display right. I thinks its just the apostrophes, quotes, ...etc.
>>> Another issue is that RT doesn't like to
>>> use blobs in PostgreSQL & Oracle, so they base64 encode binary
>>> objects and store them in clobs. Like
>>> I said earlier I just modified the PostgreSQL migration script.
>>> I've attached the script, you probably don't
>>> need the NLS_LANG env setting or you may not want my NLS_DATE_FORMAT
>>> setting. I really didn't change
>>> much. I did add a new table list, just commented out the old one.
>>> So after all our messing around with
>>> the SQLDeveloper migration tool, we had success by using the Oracle
>>> table create sql that comes with
>>> the RT dist and running the attached script. As I said I may be
>>> forgetting a step, but give it a whirl. If
>>> you have questions, I will do my best to answer.
>>>
>>> Scott

pedroalb at ebi

Re: mysql to oracle migration [In reply to]

Hi,

I will post the PL/SQL code to the wiki.

Cheers,
Pedro.