Correction: Re: Incoming mail subject with first word starting with "re" gets chopped in 3.8.8

andy.jewell at sysmicro

Aug 13, 2012, 6:47 AM

On 13/08/12 14:24, Andy D'Arcy Jewell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are seeing a problem where the ticket subject gets mangled when it
> starts with "re", for example "remote" gets mangled to "mote". I know
> 3.8.8 is pretty old, and I'm planning to upgrade, but I can't do it
> immediately.
>
> I assume this is happening due to some regex intended to strip off
> "Re: " prefixes from the subject, but I can't find it anywhere in the
> code....
>
> So, I have a few questions:
>
> 1. Is there a config parameter I can change to avoid this?
> 2. Does the 4.x branch have this same problem?
> 3. If none of the above, does anyone know what code I need to look at?
> (I've tried the RT::Interface::Email::Gateway module, but I can't see
> it filtering the "re" out anywhere).
>
> Regards,

I've now done some more tests, and it only seems to happen when making
comments on a ticket with a subject that starts with "re". I'm still
digging...

--
Andy D'Arcy Jewell

SysMicro Limited
Linux Support
T: 0844 9918804
M: 07961605631
E: andy.jewell [at] sysmicro
W: www.sysmicro.co.uk

falcone at bestpractical

Aug 13, 2012, 7:23 AM

Re: Correction: Re: Incoming mail subject with first word starting with "re" gets chopped in 3.8.8 [In reply to]

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 02:47:07PM +0100, Andy D'Arcy Jewell wrote:
> On 13/08/12 14:24, Andy D'Arcy Jewell wrote:
> >We are seeing a problem where the ticket subject gets mangled
> >when it starts with "re", for example "remote" gets mangled to
> >"mote". I know 3.8.8 is pretty old, and I'm planning to upgrade,
> >but I can't do it immediately.
> >
> >I assume this is happening due to some regex intended to strip off
> >"Re: " prefixes from the subject, but I can't find it anywhere in
> >the code....
> >
> >So, I have a few questions:
> >
> >1. Is there a config parameter I can change to avoid this?
> >2. Does the 4.x branch have this same problem?
> >3. If none of the above, does anyone know what code I need to look
> >at? (I've tried the RT::Interface::Email::Gateway module, but I
> >can't see it filtering the "re" out anywhere).
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> I've now done some more tests, and it only seems to happen when
> making comments on a ticket with a subject that starts with "re".
> I'm still digging...

I believe you want to grab a copy of the Admin Comment template from 3.8.9 or
later and update it through the web UI.

-kevin

andy.jewell at sysmicro

Aug 13, 2012, 7:38 AM

Re: Correction: Re: Incoming mail subject with first word starting with "re" gets chopped in 3.8.8 [In reply to]

On 13/08/12 15:23, Kevin Falcone wrote:
> I believe you want to grab a copy of the Admin Comment template from
> 3.8.9 or later and update it through the web UI. -kevin

Thanks, Kevin.

I've had a look at that and it is the culprit! I've modified the scrip
to use "s/^Re[:]*\s//" instead, and it now works. Now I'll have a look
at the 3.8.9 version and see what that does...

--
Andy D'Arcy Jewell

SysMicro Limited
Linux Support
E: andy.jewell [at] sysmicro
W: www.sysmicro.co.uk

andy.jewell at sysmicro

Aug 13, 2012, 7:47 AM

Re: Correction: Re: Incoming mail subject with first word starting with "re" gets chopped in 3.8.8 [In reply to]

On 13/08/12 15:23, Kevin Falcone wrote:

> I believe you want to grab a copy of the Admin Comment template from 3.8.9 or
> later and update it through the web UI.
>
> -kevin

I'm not yet that familiar with git or github... could you give me a hint
of where to find it please? I'm assuming that scrips are stored in the
database (perhaps I'm wrong!) so I thought it would be part of the
installer/db init code bundle...

-Andy

--
Andy D'Arcy Jewell

SysMicro Limited
Linux Support
T: 0844 9918804
M: 07961605631
E: andy.jewell [at] sysmicro
W: www.sysmicro.co.uk

falcone at bestpractical

Aug 13, 2012, 8:02 AM

Re: Correction: Re: Incoming mail subject with first word starting with "re" gets chopped in 3.8.8 [In reply to]

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 03:47:12PM +0100, Andy D'Arcy Jewell wrote:
> On 13/08/12 15:23, Kevin Falcone wrote:
> >
> >I believe you want to grab a copy of the Admin Comment template from 3.8.9 or
> >later and update it through the web UI.
>
> I'm not yet that familiar with git or github... could you give me a
> hint of where to find it please? I'm assuming that scrips are stored
> in the database (perhaps I'm wrong!) so I thought it would be part
> of the installer/db init code bundle...

You can always just download the tarball, we host all the historical
releases. The data is stored in the etc/initialdata file. The
version in 4.0 on github will also work just fine, that template
hasn't changed materially for 4.0.

-kevin

andy.jewell at sysmicro

Aug 13, 2012, 8:08 AM

Re: Correction: Re: Incoming mail subject with first word starting with "re" gets chopped in 3.8.8 [In reply to]

> You can always just download the tarball, we host all the historical
> releases. The data is stored in the etc/initialdata file. The
> version in 4.0 on github will also work just fine, that template
> hasn't changed materially for 4.0.
>
> -kevin
Thanks! Got it now.

--