Name: Hans being found when looking for johansen

sandra at hpcrd

Jul 17, 2012, 2:25 PM

Name: Hans being found when looking for johansen

Hello,

I just spent, a couple hours trying to find out why when my user sent an
email to create a ticket, it didn't work. We have been auto-creating
users for a long time without problems. Searching old posts, I was
unable to find one that helped.

The user got both the following messages:

User creation failed in mailgateway: Name in use
User 'johansen [at] xxx' could not be loaded in the mail gateway

I set in RT_SiteConfig.pm.

Set($AutoCreateNonExternalUsers, 1);

LDAP settings for unique Name and EmailAddress.
'attr_match_list' => [. 'Name',
'EmailAddress'

The following message in the rt logs suggested to me there could be a
conflict with the user account "hans" and the user account "johansen".
I tried modified the hans account name, but this didn't make any
difference. ]

We have a user "hans". The log below suggests to me johansen, is
conflicting with hans.

[Tue Jul 17 20:51:02 2012] [debug]: Attempting to use this
canonicalization key: EmailAddress
(/usr/local/share/request-tracker3.8/plugins/RT-Authen-ExternalAuth/lib/RT/Authen/ExternalAuth.pm:472)
[Tue Jul 17 20:51:02 2012] [debug]: LDAP Search === Base:
dc=xxx,dc=xxx,dc=gov == Filter:
(&(objectClass=*)(mail=johansen [at] xxx)) == Attrs:
l,cn,st,mail,cn,co,streetAddress,postalCode,telephoneNumber,uid,cn
(/usr/local/share/request-tracker3.8/plugins/RT-Authen-ExternalAuth/lib/RT/Authen/ExternalAuth/LDAP.pm:195)
[Tue Jul 17 20:51:02 2012] [info]:
RT::Authen::ExternalAuth::CanonicalizeUserInfo returning Address1: ,
Address2: , AuthSystem: , City: , Comments: , ContactInfoSystem: ,
Country: , Disabled: 0, EmailAddress: hans [at] xxx, EmailEncoding: ,
ExternalAuthId: hans, ExternalContactInfoId: , FreeformContactInfo: ,
Gecos: hans, HomePhone: , Lang: , MobilePhone: , Name: hans, NickName: ,
, State: , WebEncoding: , WorkPhone: , Zip:
(/usr/local/share/request-tracker3.8/plugins/RT-Authen-ExternalAuth/lib/RT/Authen/ExternalAuth.pm:536)

Also, when I search for the user, johansen, or the email address
johansen [at] xxx, I don't find anything in my RT. I tried manually
creating the account johansen, but it complains the email address is
already in use. While, at the same time I can't find an account using
that email address. Any ideas why I can't find the user? I even logged
into mysql, and did an email address search in the Users table. I also,
sent an email from an newly created yahoo account to double check
account creation, and that worked without a hitch.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sandra

Izz.Abdullah at hibbett

Jul 17, 2012, 2:34 PM

Re: Name: Hans being found when looking for johansen [In reply to]

It is complaining about the email already in use because it is querying AD and seeing the email address. It should auto-create, if the email address and Name are unique. Maybe use sAMAccountName instead of Name?

[...]

Jul 18, 2012, 8:27 AM

Re: Name: Hans being found when looking for johansen [In reply to]

Thanks for your response.

This user is not in our user database. We use LDAP and not Active
Directory. This user is not in LDAP.

RT does authenticate with LDAP, but does not directly get user
information from LDAP, other than for authentication. We periodicly
import users into RT from LDAP. The email addresses would then be
stored in RT. The email address RT claims is already in use, does not
show up in the mysql database when I query the Users table. I think
this means that email address is not in use. Hopefully someone can
correct me if I am wrong. (For that matter, the email address is not in
LDAP either.)

Any idea why it is telling me an email address is in use when it does
not show up in RT's database. (It isn't in the LDAP database either,
though I don't think RT directly queries that other than for password
authentication.)

Any other ideas, or input would be appreciated.

Sandra

On 07/17/2012 02:34 PM, Izz Abdullah wrote:
> It is complaining about the email already in use because it is querying AD and seeing the email address. It should auto-create, if the email address and Name are unique. Maybe use sAMAccountName instead of Name?

Izz.Abdullah at hibbett

Jul 18, 2012, 8:46 AM

Re: Name: Hans being found when looking for johansen [In reply to]

Can you tell us if the account you are trying to add ('johansen [at] xxx') has any of these same values:
ExternalAuthId: hans
Gecos: hans
Name: hans

Name would most likely be the one that is keeping it from auto creating. When it queries LDAP for authentication, it does the same for account creation when auto create is setup. If you are trying to manual create that account, RT will query LDAP and see that account exists based on the attributes identified. Normally, say you wanted to give a user special rights, you would search for email address or Name in RT and then assign the rights, not create the account. The account is queried and 'existent' in LDAP.

This user is not in our user database. We use LDAP and not Active Directory. This user is not in LDAP.

RT does authenticate with LDAP, but does not directly get user information from LDAP, other than for authentication. We periodicly import users into RT from LDAP. The email addresses would then be stored in RT. The email address RT claims is already in use, does not show up in the mysql database when I query the Users table. I think this means that email address is not in use. Hopefully someone can correct me if I am wrong. (For that matter, the email address is not in LDAP either.)

Any idea why it is telling me an email address is in use when it does not show up in RT's database. (It isn't in the LDAP database either, though I don't think RT directly queries that other than for password
authentication.)

Any other ideas, or input would be appreciated.

Sandra

On 07/17/2012 02:34 PM, Izz Abdullah wrote:
> It is complaining about the email already in use because it is querying AD and seeing the email address. It should auto-create, if the email address and Name are unique. Maybe use sAMAccountName instead of Name?

sandra at hpcrd

Jul 18, 2012, 9:02 AM

Re: Name: Hans being found when looking for johansen [In reply to]

Hi Izz,

Thanks for your suggestions.

There is a user hans in LDAP. It doesn't use the same email address as
johansen. There could be a substring match issue in RT when looking at
email addresses? The hans account in LDAP is bare bones, with only a
username, (hans,) email address (hans [at] different-domai), and a phone
number. The only overlap with johansen would be the substring hans in
the username and email addresses.

I was finally able to create the user in RT, by first creating it in
LDAP, and importing the user into RT from LDAP. The import wasn't
bothered by any conflict.

Having gotten it working this way, I still wonder why it was having any
problems to begin with. Hopefully, it was just a quantum one-off, and
not indicative of a weird substring match issue.

Thanks again!

Sandra

falcone at bestpractical

Jul 20, 2012, 8:08 AM

Re: Name: Hans being found when looking for johansen [In reply to]

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 02:25:19PM -0700, Sandra Wittenbrock wrote:
> [Tue Jul 17 20:51:02 2012] [debug]: Attempting to use this
> canonicalization key: EmailAddress
> (/usr/local/share/request-tracker3.8/plugins/RT-Authen-ExternalAuth/lib/RT/Authen/ExternalAuth.pm:472)
> [Tue Jul 17 20:51:02 2012] [debug]: LDAP Search === Base:
> dc=xxx,dc=xxx,dc=gov == Filter:
> (&(objectClass=*)(mail=johansen [at] xxx)) == Attrs:
> l,cn,st,mail,cn,co,streetAddress,postalCode,telephoneNumber,uid,cn

You should run an ldapsearch command using the base and filter that
RT-Authen-ExternalAuth is using and find out what records come back
from your LDAP server.

-kevin