Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Request Tracker: Users

Postfix configuration and fetchmail

 

 

Request Tracker users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


scott.sjodin at gmail

May 20, 2012, 6:40 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1268 views)
Permalink
Postfix configuration and fetchmail

Hi all,

If you recall (you probably don't) I was attempting to use msmtp to send
mail with my new RT 4.0.5 install. I have since abandoned those efforts and
am now attempting to use Postfix to do so. Fetchmail is working fine, and
I've followed the steps outlined in several install guides for setting up
postfix to send mail (I can post my main.cf file for reference if
requested).

I am getting much further with Postfix already, but am still unable to send
mail. When I look in /var/log/syslog I see the following after attempting
to send a test message:

May 20 06:35:08 Galactica postfix/smtp[14385]: C9F539019A: to=<
scott.sjodin [at] gmail>, relay=smtp.mailanyone.net[72.35.23.195]:25,
delay=0.53, delays=0.03/0.01/0.39/0.11, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host
smtp.mailanyone.net[72.35.23.195] said: 550 relay not permitted (in reply
to RCPT TO command))

Any ideas? I'm at a loss here.

Thanks,

Scott


scott.sjodin at gmail

May 21, 2012, 11:48 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1185 views)
Permalink
Re: Postfix configuration and fetchmail [In reply to]

Thanks Dave, I followed your advice and have postfix sending mail for me.

This article helped a ton:
http://www.howtoforge.com/postfix_relaying_through_another_mailserver

Any advice on setting up security to prevent an open relay on my server?

Thanks,

Scott

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Dave Burgess <burgess [at] cynjut> wrote:

> In order to relay through a mail server, you either need to be sending
> mail to someone on that server, or have authorization.
>
> There are thousands of posts on setting up Postfix for relaying.
>
> Basically, you need to "sign in" to the mail server you want to use using
> some kind of authentication protocol. This will depend largely on the
> configuration of the server.
>
> Since you are running PostFix, you can skip that step altogether and set
> up Postfix to send mail out directly to the recipient. This would probably
> be much easier in the long run. Just be sure to set up your own security
> so that no one can use you as an open relay.
>
> Dave
>
>
>
> On 5/20/2012 8:40 AM, Scott Sjodin wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> If you recall (you probably don't) I was attempting to use msmtp to send
> mail with my new RT 4.0.5 install. I have since abandoned those efforts and
> am now attempting to use Postfix to do so. Fetchmail is working fine, and
> I've followed the steps outlined in several install guides for setting up
> postfix to send mail (I can post my main.cf file for reference if
> requested).
>
> I am getting much further with Postfix already, but am still unable to
> send mail. When I look in /var/log/syslog I see the following after
> attempting to send a test message:
>
> May 20 06:35:08 Galactica postfix/smtp[14385]: C9F539019A: to=<
> scott.sjodin [at] gmail>, relay=smtp.mailanyone.net[72.35.23.195]:25,
> delay=0.53, delays=0.03/0.01/0.39/0.11, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host
> smtp.mailanyone.net[72.35.23.195] said: 550 relay not permitted (in reply
> to RCPT TO command))
>
> Any ideas? I'm at a loss here.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Dave Burgess
> Manager
> Cynjut Consulting Services, LLC402-403-4434 (Phone, FAX, and Cell)
>
>


sjalexander at mpbx

May 22, 2012, 4:32 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1183 views)
Permalink
Re: Postfix configuration and fetchmail [In reply to]

In a nutshell, you'll want to prevent unprivileged traffic going to your
SMTP port(s). In other words, write firewall (iptables) rules to allow only
authorized clients to use them - if the RT machine is the only machine that
will be using the service, then you can drop anything and everything
coming to the SMTP port(s) on external interfaces like eth0, eth1 and so
forth. If you're unfamiliar with iptables, fwbuilder is a gui tool than can
ease the transition. You'll still need to do some reading though.

It may also be possible to configure postfix to only listen on the loopback
interface, or only listen to localhost, but I don't know offhand about that.

Regards,

Stephen J Alexander
MPBX, LLC
http://mpbx.com
832-713-6729


On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Scott Sjodin <scott.sjodin [at] gmail>wrote:

> Thanks Dave, I followed your advice and have postfix sending mail for me.
>
> This article helped a ton:
> http://www.howtoforge.com/postfix_relaying_through_another_mailserver
>
> Any advice on setting up security to prevent an open relay on my server?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
>
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Dave Burgess <burgess [at] cynjut> wrote:
>
>> In order to relay through a mail server, you either need to be sending
>> mail to someone on that server, or have authorization.
>>
>> There are thousands of posts on setting up Postfix for relaying.
>>
>> Basically, you need to "sign in" to the mail server you want to use using
>> some kind of authentication protocol. This will depend largely on the
>> configuration of the server.
>>
>> Since you are running PostFix, you can skip that step altogether and set
>> up Postfix to send mail out directly to the recipient. This would probably
>> be much easier in the long run. Just be sure to set up your own security
>> so that no one can use you as an open relay.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>>
>>
>> On 5/20/2012 8:40 AM, Scott Sjodin wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> If you recall (you probably don't) I was attempting to use msmtp to
>> send mail with my new RT 4.0.5 install. I have since abandoned
>> those efforts and am now attempting to use Postfix to do so. Fetchmail is
>> working fine, and I've followed the steps outlined in several install
>> guides for setting up postfix to send mail (I can post my main.cf file
>> for reference if requested).
>>
>> I am getting much further with Postfix already, but am still unable to
>> send mail. When I look in /var/log/syslog I see the following after
>> attempting to send a test message:
>>
>> May 20 06:35:08 Galactica postfix/smtp[14385]: C9F539019A: to=<
>> scott.sjodin [at] gmail>, relay=smtp.mailanyone.net[72.35.23.195]:25,
>> delay=0.53, delays=0.03/0.01/0.39/0.11, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host
>> smtp.mailanyone.net[72.35.23.195] said: 550 relay not permitted (in
>> reply to RCPT TO command))
>>
>> Any ideas? I'm at a loss here.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Scott
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Dave Burgess
>> Manager
>> Cynjut Consulting Services, LLC402-403-4434 (Phone, FAX, and Cell)
>>
>>
>


duihi77 at gmail

May 22, 2012, 5:11 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1185 views)
Permalink
Re: Postfix configuration and fetchmail [In reply to]

On Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 11:32:11 UTC, sjalexander [at] mpbx confabulated:

> In a nutshell, you'll want to prevent unprivileged traffic going to your
> SMTP port(s). In other words, write firewall (iptables) rules to allow only
> authorized clients to use them - if the RT machine is the only machine that
> will be using the service, then you can drop anything and everything
> coming to the SMTP port(s) on external interfaces like eth0, eth1 and so
> forth. If you're unfamiliar with iptables, fwbuilder is a gui tool than can
> ease the transition. You'll still need to do some reading though.

> It may also be possible to configure postfix to only listen on the loopback
> interface, or only listen to localhost, but I don't know offhand about that.

Setting inet_interfaces in main.cf to localhost will do the trick:

inet_interfaces = localhost

> Regards,

> Stephen J Alexander
> MPBX, LLC
> http://mpbx.com
> 832-713-6729


> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Scott Sjodin <scott.sjodin [at] gmail>wrote:

>> Thanks Dave, I followed your advice and have postfix sending mail for me.
>>
>> This article helped a ton:
>> http://www.howtoforge.com/postfix_relaying_through_another_mailserver
>>
>> Any advice on setting up security to prevent an open relay on my server?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Dave Burgess <burgess [at] cynjut> wrote:
>>
>>> In order to relay through a mail server, you either need to be sending
>>> mail to someone on that server, or have authorization.
>>>
>>> There are thousands of posts on setting up Postfix for relaying.
>>>
>>> Basically, you need to "sign in" to the mail server you want to use using
>>> some kind of authentication protocol. This will depend largely on the
>>> configuration of the server.
>>>
>>> Since you are running PostFix, you can skip that step altogether and set
>>> up Postfix to send mail out directly to the recipient. This would probably
>>> be much easier in the long run. Just be sure to set up your own security
>>> so that no one can use you as an open relay.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On 5/20/2012 8:40 AM, Scott Sjodin wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> If you recall (you probably don't) I was attempting to use msmtp to
>>> send mail with my new RT 4.0.5 install. I have since abandoned
>>> those efforts and am now attempting to use Postfix to do so. Fetchmail is
>>> working fine, and I've followed the steps outlined in several install
>>> guides for setting up postfix to send mail (I can post my main.cf file
>>> for reference if requested).
>>>
>>> I am getting much further with Postfix already, but am still unable to
>>> send mail. When I look in /var/log/syslog I see the following after
>>> attempting to send a test message:
>>>
>>> May 20 06:35:08 Galactica postfix/smtp[14385]: C9F539019A: to=<
>>> scott.sjodin [at] gmail>, relay=smtp.mailanyone.net[72.35.23.195]:25,
>>> delay=0.53, delays=0.03/0.01/0.39/0.11, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host
>>> smtp.mailanyone.net[72.35.23.195] said: 550 relay not permitted (in
>>> reply to RCPT TO command))
>>>
>>> Any ideas? I'm at a loss here.

--
If at first you don't succeed...
...so much for skydiving.

Request Tracker users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.