Hi all,

I've attempted to update RT from v4.0.4 to v.4.0.5 - the catch is the 4.0.4 is from Ubuntu distro (apt-get install request-tracker4).

I think I've only got one issue at this point and that is the distro puts RT_SiteConfig.pm under "/etc/request-tracker4" not "${RTHOME}/etc/". I couldn't find a configuration setting for ./configure or one in config.layout that could be set for this location.

Perhaps minor issue since I can just move RT_SiteConfig.pm to the default folder but it may confuse me down the road.

Thanks, David
David T. Grayston Systems & Database Administrator
University of Washington School of Public Health

dominic.hargreaves at oucs

Re: RT update from ubuntu distro [In reply to]

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:15:03PM +0000, David T. Grayston wrote:
> I've attempted to update RT from v4.0.4 to v.4.0.5 - the catch is the 4.0.4 is from Ubuntu distro (apt-get install request-tracker4).
>
> I think I've only got one issue at this point and that is the distro puts RT_SiteConfig.pm under "/etc/request-tracker4" not "${RTHOME}/etc/". I couldn't find a configuration setting for ./configure or one in config.layout that could be set for this location.

The Debian patches include a custom config.layout for this, not included
upstream since it doesn't make sense to overwrite the Debian package
files with local installations. I strongly recommend that you either
stick with the Debian packages (and you can look at installing
4.0.5 from quantal, the current Ubuntu development release, if you
particularly need it) or switch to a "vanilla" installation in
/opt/rt or wherever makes most sense, not colliding with the packaged
version.

> Perhaps minor issue since I can just move RT_SiteConfig.pm to the default folder but it may confuse me down the road.

If you've done a local install over the top of the Debian package you
are almost guaranteed confusion later (such as when an update is
released to 12.04. or when you upgrade to a newer Ubuntu release).

--
Dominic Hargreaves, Systems Development and Support Team
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

davidtg at u

Re: RT update from ubuntu distro [In reply to]

Thanks for the reply - I did download 4 files from the quantal dev release,

request-tracker4_4.0.5-2.dsc
request-tracker4_4.0.5-2.debian.tar.gz
request-tracker4_4.0.5-2.orig-thrid-party-source.tar.gz
request-tracker4_4.0.5-2.orig.tar.gz

I opened these up and poked around but I not quite knowledgeable enough to know how to install from these. Which as you say would be better than what I've tried.

David
David T. Grayston     Systems & Database Administrator
University of Washington   School of Public Health

dominic.hargreaves at oucs

Re: RT update from ubuntu distro [In reply to]

Hi,

That's the Debian source package. You can rebuild the binary packages
if you want, but I suspect the prebuilt binary packages will be adequate
(look for request-tracker*4.deb and rt4-*.deb).

Re: RT update from ubuntu distro [In reply to]

Dominic - thanks for the reply. A few more clicks got me to this page,

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/request-tracker4/4.0.5-2/+build/3460357

That has the *.deb files for RT 4.0.5 Quantal. I restored my server back to the 4.0.4 install and dpkg with these new *.deb files. All appears to have gone ok but I wasn't prompted about upgrading the database at the end from 4.0.4 - did it happen automatically?

Re: RT update from ubuntu distro [In reply to]

I don't believe there were any DB upgrades between 4.0.4 or 4.0.5.