Re: [rt-devel] RT and JasperReports Server Integration (got it working, anyone interested?)

robert at robertblackwell

Re: [rt-devel] RT and JasperReports Server Integration (got it working, anyone interested?)

I agree this would be an excellent addition to RT. Is there a project
repository set up somewhere? I would be interested using this and
helping with the project.

Robert

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 6:51 AM, Cornell D. Green <cornellgreen [at] gmail> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Not much of a developer myself, I encourage you to consider at least making this available to the RT community, if not actually folding it into the RT code base.
>
> Cornell D. Green
> CIO
> CommunIT Solutions
> Let's get Your Technology to WORK!
> http://CommunIT.us/helpdesk
>
> On Apr 9, 2012, at 6:39 AM, Benjamin Boksa <mailinglists [at] boksa> wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> RT has been my primary tool to manage Tickets and other Requests since 2001 (RT 2.x) and I am still using it everyday. During the last few years I integrated some billing functions into RT (by using custom fields, workflows etc.). As a natural consequence I have reached the point where I need a function I could not find in RT itself: easily manageable print layouts (aka PDFs ;-) ) that can be custom tailored to fit my client's needs (e.g. grouping by cost unit).
>>
>> After a few days of work I now have a completely working system that allows me to create pretty, printable Reports from RT using JasperReports Server [1].
>>
>> It uses RT's REST API with customizable (query builder) queries and a simple definition (REST Interface URL, Username and Password) to access ticket data from JasperReports Server. I have done so by creating a custom DataSource [2] and a custom QueryExecuter [3] for JasperReports - all you need to know to prepare your data from RT to be used in a Jasper report are the credentials of your instance's REST Interface and the query builder query you would like to run - you should know all of these if you work with RT regularly ;-)
>>
>> You can then use tools like iReport [4] to design fantastic reporting templates for your RT data including your logo, graphs and many other cool things.
>>
>> As you already might have guessed I think I have found a pretty good solution to integrate RT and JasperReports Server. Now I am standing at the point where I wonder
>>
>> a) If this is interesting to the RT community (found some mails back in 2007)?
>> b) If anyone of you is interested in joining my efforts to improve the solution?
>> c) If there is anything else you would like to know about the solution?
>> d) As a part of the project I have also built a single J2EE component (DAO [5]) to access the RT REST Interface - would you like to see this component to be released independently?
>>
>> I would be glad to get some feedback from you to see if this will be a cool thing for myself or if it makes sense to create a project for the RT community - I have many cool ideas in the back of my head (like direct integration into the RT web interface).
>>
>> Looking forward to your answers and sending curious greetings from Cologne
>>
>> Benjamin
>>

>> P.S.: As this is a very "developerish" topic I hope it is OK to crosspost this mail...

mailinglists at boksa

Re: [rt-devel] RT and JasperReports Server Integration (got it working, anyone interested?) [In reply to]

Wow - Thanks a lot for all of your feedback.

I will try to setup a (github-)repository and some basic instructions about setting up RT4 and JasperServer on Debian 6 by the end of next week (April 22). At the moment I have to catch up on the backlog created while writing the integration toolkit - yesterday I started working on the backlog by sending out the first actual quarterly invoices created with it :-D

In the meantime feel free to send me suggestions, tell me about features you would like to see and use cases to be covered so that I can prepare a proposed roadmap as soon as we start! Also I still don't have a name for the project (my local repository is named jasper-rt which seems very boring) - if you have any cool suggestions please share them :-)

Thanks a lot for all your answers, I am sure your interest and feedback will help making this a cool tool.

Benjamin