Invalid username

mgiammarco at gmail

Mar 13, 2012, 6:06 AM

Invalid username

Hello,
I have just tried request tracker 4.0.1 on Ubuntu and 4.0.5
on Debian, the result
is the same.

I create an user "foo" and when I try to add the user to
a queue, a custom field
I fill the text box with the username and I get always
"invalid username".

Proably related to this: when I create a custom field
for tickets in the "new
ticket" of user "foo" there is no custom field.

But if I create the ticket I get an error
"failed validation" because I put a
regular expression for the ticket field.

So it seems that the field is not shown but is present.

Can you help me?

Mario

falcone at bestpractical

Mar 13, 2012, 8:31 AM

Re: Invalid username [In reply to]

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 01:06:58PM +0000, Mario Giammarco wrote:
> Hello,
> I have just tried request tracker 4.0.1 on Ubuntu and 4.0.5
> on Debian, the result
> is the same.
>
> I create an user "foo" and when I try to add the user to
> a queue, a custom field
> I fill the text box with the username and I get always
> "invalid username".

Where do you try to add them, in what text box.
Also, it isn't clear what you mean by adding them to a custom field.

> Proably related to this: when I create a custom field
> for tickets in the "new
> ticket" of user "foo" there is no custom field.
>
> But if I create the ticket I get an error
> "failed validation" because I put a
> regular expression for the ticket field.
>
> So it seems that the field is not shown but is present.

Do you see the custom field as you expect if you log in as root?

-kevin

mgiammarco at gmail

Mar 14, 2012, 3:40 AM

Re: Invalid username [In reply to]

Kevin Falcone <falcone <at> bestpractical.com> writes:

> Where do you try to add them, in what text box.
> Also, it isn't clear what you mean by adding them to a custom field.

Many places, example:

tools->configuration->queue->select->"general">user rights->
now on the left you can input an user name. Then I click on checkbox
"view custom fields value" and immediately "invalid user" appears.

> Do you see the custom field as you expect if you log in as root?

Root user sees custom field

falcone at bestpractical

Mar 14, 2012, 4:47 PM

Re: Invalid username [In reply to]

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:40:52AM +0000, Mario Giammarco wrote:
> Kevin Falcone <falcone <at> bestpractical.com> writes:
> > Where do you try to add them, in what text box.
> > Also, it isn't clear what you mean by adding them to a custom field.
>
> Many places, example:
>
> tools->configuration->queue->select->"general">user rights->
> now on the left you can input an user name. Then I click on checkbox
> "view custom fields value" and immediately "invalid user" appears.

You shouldn't be granting user rights, put the user in a group and
grant group rights.

I believe the autocompleter for user rights may restrict to Privileged
users which may be the problem you're having. Go search for the user
you're trying to use and ensure that they are Privileged.

If you want to give Unprivileged users the ability to see/edit CFs,
you can grant to Unprivileged directly, or to Requestors of tickets.

-kevin

mgiammarco at gmail

Mar 18, 2012, 12:19 PM

Re: Invalid username [In reply to]

Kevin Falcone <falcone <at> bestpractical.com> writes:

> You shouldn't be granting user rights, put the user in a group and
> grant group rights.

Ok it is the first thing I have tried but my problem was
that unprivileged users
do not see custom fields when they open a ticket. BUT the custom fields
validation is present and so the ticket creation is refused.
It seems a bug to me: you cannot see CF, you cannot fill it,
but request tracker
give you an error that you have not filled it.

> I believe the autocompleter for user rights may restrict to Privileged
> users which may be the problem you're having. Go search for the user
> you're trying to use and ensure that they are Privileged.

Will try but my problem is above.

> If you want to give Unprivileged users the ability to see/edit CFs,
> you can grant to Unprivileged directly, or to Requestors of tickets.

Explain better please. I think I have tried all possible combinations of
permissions in the hope to let an unprivileged user to see CFs.

Thanks again!

Mario