Mailing List Archive: Request Tracker: Devel

Info on writing extensions: starting points etc.

Request Tracker devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

Andy.Jewell at sysmicro

Aug 2, 2010, 6:42 AM

Info on writing extensions: starting points etc.

HI,

I need to write some simple (I hope) extensions to RT. I've got the RT Essentials book, and I've spent hours looking on the RT wiki... the best I've been able to do is look at some of the simple extensions which are available for download, but they all seem to contain a disparate bunch of files and dirs.

Is there a resource available that explains what is required and optional, and where it all should go?

For context, I need to do the following two tasks:

1. Create a new menu entry on the RT-at-a-glance page that links to an arbitrary web page and displays it "inside" RT in a frame.
2. Create an RT-at-a-glance module that allows an arbitrary web-page to be displayed in a frame/cell.

Please excuse if my question is daft - I'm new to RT :-)

Andy D'Arcy Jewell
SysMicro Linux Support

T: +44 (0) 844 991 8804
M: +44 (0) 7961 605631
F: +44 (0) 844 357 7020
E: andy.jewell [at] sysmicro
W: www.sysmicro.co.uk

CRN THE CHANNEL AWARDS 2009 WINNER
SysMicro named CRN’s Editor’s Choice for Emerging Business of the Year 2009, recognising SysMicro for our considerable growth, specifically in Enterprise Solutions.

falcone at bestpractical

Aug 2, 2010, 7:50 AM

Re: Info on writing extensions: starting points etc. [In reply to]

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 02:42:57PM +0100, Andy Jewell wrote:
> I need to write some simple (I hope) extensions to RT. I've got the
> RT Essentials book, and I've spent hours looking on the RT wiki...
> the best I've been able to do is look at some of the simple
> extensions which are available for download, but they all seem to
> contain a disparate bunch of files and dirs.
>
> Is there a resource available that explains what is required and optional, and where it all should go?

Unfortunately, there isn't a good 'intro to writing an RT extension'
wiki page yet. You may find the slides from the talk I gave at
YAPC::NA this year helpful.

http://yapc2010.com/yn2010/talk/2648

-kevin

> For context, I need to do the following two tasks:
>
> 1. Create a new menu entry on the RT-at-a-glance page that links to an arbitrary web page and displays it "inside" RT in a frame.
> 2. Create an RT-at-a-glance module that allows an arbitrary web-page to be displayed in a frame/cell.
>
> Please excuse if my question is daft - I'm new to RT :-)
>
> Andy D'Arcy Jewell
> SysMicro Linux Support
>
> T: +44 (0) 844 991 8804
> M: +44 (0) 7961 605631
> F: +44 (0) 844 357 7020
> E: andy.jewell [at] sysmicro
> W: www.sysmicro.co.uk
>
> CRN THE CHANNEL AWARDS 2009 WINNER
> SysMicro named CRN’s Editor’s Choice for Emerging Business of the Year 2009, recognising SysMicro for our considerable growth, specifically in Enterprise Solutions.

Andy.Jewell at sysmicro

Aug 2, 2010, 7:55 AM

>On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 02:42:57PM +0100, Andy Jewell wrote:
>> I need to write some simple (I hope) extensions to RT. I've got the
>> RT Essentials book, and I've spent hours looking on the RT wiki...
>> the best I've been able to do is look at some of the simple
>> extensions which are available for download, but they all seem to
>> contain a disparate bunch of files and dirs.
>>
>> Is there a resource available that explains what is required and optional, and where it all should go?
>
>Unfortunately, there isn't a good 'intro to writing an RT extension'
>wiki page yet. You may find the slides from the talk I gave at
>YAPC::NA this year helpful.
>
>http://yapc2010.com/yn2010/talk/2648
>
>-kevin

Thanks Kevin,

I'll take a look.

Andy D'Arcy Jewell
SysMicro Linux Support

T: +44 (0) 844 991 8804
M: +44 (0) 7961 605631
F: +44 (0) 844 357 7020
E: andy.jewell [at] sysmicro
W: www.sysmicro.co.uk

CRN THE CHANNEL AWARDS 2009 WINNER
SysMicro named CRN’s Editor’s Choice for Emerging Business of the Year 2009, recognising SysMicro for our considerable growth, specifically in Enterprise Solutions.

Andy.Jewell at sysmicro

Aug 2, 2010, 9:29 AM