Mailing List Archive: Request Tracker: Devel

add attachments from previous txn to reply and comment

Request Tracker devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

cloos at netcologne

Jul 16, 2012, 7:13 AM

add attachments from previous txn to reply and comment

Hi RT Developer,

I saw you branch 4.2/attach-from-transactions on github and hope that
this feature will be available in 4.2.
I currently writing an extension that brings this feature to 3.8 and 4.0.

Why are you showing only attachments if you are quoting an reply/comment
and limit the attachments to that transaction?

The feature request from our users (and some other users on the
mailinglist) is to present all ticket attachments no matter if you
quoting an transaction or create an new reply/comment.

Chris

Christian Loos
Network Documentation & Fibre Management
NETCOLOGNE Gesellschaft für Telekommunikation mbH
Am Coloneum 9 | 50829 Köln
Tel: 0221 2222-276 | Fax: 0221 2222-7276 | Mobil: 0177 8888276

www.netcologne.de

Geschäftsführer:
Dr. Hans Konle (Sprecher)
Dipl.-Ing. Karl-Heinz Zankel
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates:
Dr. Andreas Cerbe
HRB 25580, AG Köln

Diese Nachricht (inklusive aller Anhänge) ist vertraulich. Sollten Sie diese Nachricht versehentlich erhalten haben, bitten wir, den Absender (durch Antwort-E-Mail) hiervon unverzüglich zu informieren und die Nachricht zu löschen. Die E-Mail darf in diesem Fall weder vervielfältigt noch in anderer Weise verwendet werden.

--------

ruz at bestpractical

Jul 16, 2012, 11:43 AM

Re: add attachments from previous txn to reply and comment [In reply to]

2012/7/16 Christian Loos <cloos [at] netcologne>:
> Hi RT Developer,
>
> I saw you branch 4.2/attach-from-transactions on github and hope that
> this feature will be available in 4.2.
> I currently writing an extension that brings this feature to 3.8 and 4.0.
>
> Why are you showing only attachments if you are quoting an reply/comment
> and limit the attachments to that transaction?
>
> The feature request from our users (and some other users on the
> mailinglist) is to present all ticket attachments no matter if you
> quoting an transaction or create an new reply/comment.

Create a new branch on top of the branch, make it configurable, push to
github and may be it will be clean enough for merge.

Note that I have nothing to do with the branch and didn't discuss above
answer within BPS :)

> Chris
>
> Christian Loos
> Network Documentation & Fibre Management
> NETCOLOGNE Gesellschaft für Telekommunikation mbH
> Am Coloneum 9 | 50829 Köln
> Tel: 0221 2222-276 | Fax: 0221 2222-7276 | Mobil: 0177 8888276
>
> www.netcologne.de
>
> Geschäftsführer:
> Dr. Hans Konle (Sprecher)
> Dipl.-Ing. Karl-Heinz Zankel
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates:
> Dr. Andreas Cerbe
> HRB 25580, AG Köln
>

> Diese Nachricht (inklusive aller Anhänge) ist vertraulich. Sollten Sie diese Nachricht versehentlich erhalten haben, bitten wir, den Absender (durch Antwort-E-Mail) hiervon unverzüglich zu informieren und die Nachricht zu löschen. Die E-Mail darf in diesem Fall weder vervielfältigt noch in anderer Weise verwendet werden.
>

> --------

Best regards, Ruslan.
--------

trs at bestpractical

Jul 16, 2012, 6:11 PM

Re: add attachments from previous txn to reply and comment [In reply to]

On 07/16/2012 07:13 AM, Christian Loos wrote:
> Hi RT Developer,
>
> I saw you branch 4.2/attach-from-transactions on github and hope that
> this feature will be available in 4.2.

It needs more polishing, particularly in the UI and display of such
attachments in the history. Hopefully it'll be 4.2.

> I currently writing an extension that brings this feature to 3.8 and 4.0.

FWIW, the 4.2 branch was sponsored by a customer and as part of that
sponsorship we backported the branch as a 4.0 extension. It may be
easier for you to do the same rather than starting from scratch.

> Why are you showing only attachments if you are quoting an reply/comment
> and limit the attachments to that transaction?

A ticket has potentially dozens of attachments, while transactions are
likely to have much less. In addition to UI concerns of a huge
attachment list on the reply/comment page, there's also a significant
performance concern.

On top of that, showing all attachments on the ticket wasn't a
requirement of the sponsor. The sponsor ultimately decided to change
tack after user testing and have us implement a different attachment
solution, so progress on the branch languished.

> The feature request from our users (and some other users on the
> mailinglist) is to present all ticket attachments no matter if you
> quoting an transaction or create an new reply/comment.

As Ruslan suggested, it would be pretty easy to branch from the branch
and add this as an option.
--------