Mailing List Archive: Request Tracker: Devel

License restrictions on Java library for RT's REST interface

Request Tracker devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mailinglists at boksa

License restrictions on Java library for RT's REST interface

Hi,

as I am about to release a Java library that talks to RT's REST interface:

- Are there any restrictions on the license I can choose from?
- Is there anything else from your side I should keep in mind?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Best regards

Benjamin
--------

walter at covetel

Re: License restrictions on Java library for RT's REST interface [In reply to]

Please tell us more about this library in Java.

Cheers.

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Benjamin Boksa <mailinglists [at] boksa>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as I am about to release a Java library that talks to RT's REST interface:
>
> - Are there any restrictions on the license I can choose from?
> - Is there anything else from your side I should keep in mind?
>
> Thanks in advance for your reply.
>
> Best regards
>
> Benjamin
> --------
> List info:

Walter Vargas
Cooperativa Venezolana de Tecnologías Libres R.S.
Coordinador General.

ruz at bestpractical

Re: License restrictions on Java library for RT's REST interface [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 18:07, Benjamin Boksa <mailinglists [at] boksa> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as I am about to release a Java library that talks to RT's REST interface:
>
> - Are there any restrictions on the license I can choose from?

I don't think RT's license restricts licenses of client libraries
talking to the REST interface. License you pick for your lib may
restrict applications that are going to use it.

> - Is there anything else from your side I should keep in mind?
>
> Thanks in advance for your reply.
>
> Best regards
>
> Benjamin
> --------

Best regards, Ruslan.
--------

walter at covetel

Re: License restrictions on Java library for RT's REST interface [In reply to]

Yes, i dont think that RT have licenses restictions.

+GPL or Aristic License.

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Ruslan Zakirov <ruz [at] bestpractical>wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 18:07, Benjamin Boksa <mailinglists [at] boksa>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > as I am about to release a Java library that talks to RT's REST
> interface:
> >
> > - Are there any restrictions on the license I can choose from?
>
> I don't think RT's license restricts licenses of client libraries
> talking to the REST interface. License you pick for your lib may
> restrict applications that are going to use it.
>
> > - Is there anything else from your side I should keep in mind?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your reply.
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Benjamin
> > --------
> > List info:

> Best regards, Ruslan.
> --------

Walter Vargas
Cooperativa Venezolana de Tecnologías Libres R.S.
Coordinador General.

tjrc at sanger

Re: License restrictions on Java library for RT's REST interface [In reply to]

If you ever want your client to be packaged by Debian or Ubuntu, you should make sure the licence you pick is one of those they class as compliant:

http://people.debian.org/~bap/dfsg-faq.html

If you pick one of the compliant licences, you're pretty open-source friendly in general.

Tim

--------

mailinglists at boksa

Re: License restrictions on Java library for RT's REST interface [In reply to]

Thanks for all your answers - I decided to release the Java library (RT-REST) under the Apache License, Version 2.0 and release the RT and JasperServer integration toolkit (RT-Jasper) under the AGPLv3 (because JasperServer is released under the AGPLv3).

Guess that should be OK.

Now on to writing the release announcement ;-)