Mailing List Archive: Request Tracker: Devel

Just getting started

Request Tracker devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

ptomblin at xcski

Feb 19, 2012, 9:37 AM

Just getting started

I am just getting started a project to do some customization of RT, and I'm
finding the documentation confusing and the book a little bit out of date.
I'm wondering if there is a standard way to deliver your customizations
(dashboards, scrips, saved queries etc) to the production database? Do you
just write database scripts, or what? Do you copy over a database dump
file?

Also, is there any documentation for the REST api other than trying to find
the appropriate scripts and doing a "perldoc" on them?

--
http://www.linkedin.com/in/paultomblin
http://careers.stackoverflow.com/ptomblin

ruz at bestpractical

Feb 21, 2012, 4:55 AM

Re: Just getting started [In reply to]

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 21:37, Paul Tomblin <ptomblin [at] xcski> wrote:
> I am just getting started a project to do some customization of RT, and I'm
> finding the documentation confusing and the book a little bit out of date.
>  I'm wondering if there is a standard way to deliver your customizations
> (dashboards, scrips, saved queries etc) to the production database?  Do you
> just write database scripts, or what?  Do you copy over a database dump
> file?

Use extensions with initialdata files. Extensions can have tests (just
borrow Test.pm file from modern extension) and at least this would
simplify greatly dropping DB and re-inserting your initialdata file
for testing.

> Also, is there any documentation for the REST api other than trying to find
> the appropriate scripts and doing a "perldoc" on them?

Use REST client from CPAN or use rt command line utility to catch
requests and responses.

> --
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/paultomblin
> http://careers.stackoverflow.com/ptomblin
>

> --------
> * Boston — March 5 & 6, 2012

Best regards, Ruslan.
--------
RT Training Sessions (http://bestpractical.com/services/training.html)
* Boston March 5 & 6, 2012

trs at bestpractical

Feb 21, 2012, 6:58 AM

Re: Just getting started [In reply to]

On 02/21/2012 07:55 AM, Ruslan Zakirov wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 21:37, Paul Tomblin <ptomblin [at] xcski> wrote:
>> I am just getting started a project to do some customization of RT, and I'm
>> finding the documentation confusing and the book a little bit out of date.
>> I'm wondering if there is a standard way to deliver your customizations
>> (dashboards, scrips, saved queries etc) to the production database? Do you
>> just write database scripts, or what? Do you copy over a database dump
>> file?
>
> Use extensions with initialdata files. Extensions can have tests (just
> borrow Test.pm file from modern extension) and at least this would
> simplify greatly dropping DB and re-inserting your initialdata file
> for testing.

Note that initialdata files can not only contain the basic object
definitions allowed, but you can put arbitrary code in subrefs pushed
into @Final.

Thomas
--------