Mailing List Archive: Request Tracker: Devel

Custom Roles in RT4

Request Tracker devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

tom+rt at oneshoeco

Aug 15, 2011, 12:31 AM

Custom Roles in RT4

Hi list,

I'm looking at a config which would benefit from one (or maybe more) additional role(s) alongside Cc and AdminCc, so that I could do some group permissions assignment to specific tickets without giving up my existing usage of Cc and AdminCc.

It was suggested to me that this may have been attempted before (back in 3.x land) - has anyone looked into doing so or could suggest the best way to implement something like this, and even better, has anyone looked to do this for RT4?

I've taken a look around and can see there are a number of places that the assumption is hard-coded that the only valid roles are AdminCc, Cc, Owner, Requestor.

I'm getting the impression that it may be significantly more difficult to add a generic role implementation instead of adding a single, additional, hard-coded new role...

Regards,
Tom

--------
RT Training Sessions (http://bestpractical.com/services/training.html)
* Chicago, IL, USA September 26 & 27, 2011
* San Francisco, CA, USA October 18 & 19, 2011
* Washington DC, USA October 31 & November 1, 2011
* Melbourne VIC, Australia November 28 & 29, 2011
* Barcelona, Spain November 28 & 29, 2011
List info: http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-devel

ruz at bestpractical

Aug 15, 2011, 4:56 AM

Re: Custom Roles in RT4 [In reply to]

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Tom Lanyon <tom+rt [at] oneshoeco> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm looking at a config which would benefit from one (or maybe more) additional role(s) alongside Cc and AdminCc, so that I could do some group permissions assignment to specific tickets without giving up my existing usage of Cc and AdminCc.

Not that popular demand, but we want to implement custom named role
groups.

> It was suggested to me that this may have been attempted before (back in 3.x land) - has anyone looked into doing so or could suggest the best way to implement something like this, and even better, has anyone looked to do this for RT4?
>
> I've taken a look around and can see there are a number of places that the assumption is hard-coded that the only valid roles are AdminCc, Cc, Owner, Requestor.
>
> I'm getting the impression that it may be significantly more difficult to add a generic role implementation instead of adding a single, additional, hard-coded new role...

I'm pretty sure nobody extended RT 3.x that far. While RT's DB already
capable to store arbitrary role groups, but code isn't even even close
to do that.

We have a bit in 3.999 experimental branch that should be ported in RT
4.2 to move things closer to the goal, but everything else have to be
developed.

At this point adding one hard coded group may be easier. If you're
going to do that I would love to see patches that at least concentrate
list of groups in one place without changing API (method names and
arguments, new methods are fine).

--
Best regards, Ruslan.

--------
RT Training Sessions (http://bestpractical.com/services/training.html)
* Chicago, IL, USA September 26 & 27, 2011
* San Francisco, CA, USA October 18 & 19, 2011
* Washington DC, USA October 31 & November 1, 2011
* Melbourne VIC, Australia November 28 & 29, 2011
* Barcelona, Spain November 28 & 29, 2011
List info: http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-devel

falcone at bestpractical

Aug 15, 2011, 6:54 AM

Re: Custom Roles in RT4 [In reply to]

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 05:01:26PM +0930, Tom Lanyon wrote:
> It was suggested to me that this may have been attempted before (back in 3.x land) - has anyone looked into doing so or could suggest the best way to implement something like this, and even better, has anyone looked to do this for RT4?

I suggested that it was implemented in 3.999, the abandoned start of
RT4 a number of years ago. No work was done on this in RT 3.x or the
current RT4

-kevin

Request Tracker devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded