Mailing List Archive: Request Tracker: Devel

mail header parse order for ticket requestor

Request Tracker devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

CLoos at netcologne

mail header parse order for ticket requestor

Hi,

can anybody tell me why the Reply-To header is parsed
before the From header to get the ticket requestor in
RT::Interface::Email::ParseSenderAddressFromHead ?

Thanks!

Chris

ruz at bestpractical

Re: mail header parse order for ticket requestor [In reply to]

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Loos, Christian <CLoos [at] netcologne> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can anybody tell me why the Reply-To header is parsed
> before the From header to get the ticket requestor in
> RT::Interface::Email::ParseSenderAddressFromHead ?

History. May be a comment in a RFC. Developer's mood :)

> Thanks!
>
> Chris

Best regards, Ruslan.

jesse at bestpractical

Re: mail header parse order for ticket requestor [In reply to]

On Fri 20.May'11 at 11:43:00 +0200, Loos, Christian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can anybody tell me why the Reply-To header is parsed
> before the From header to get the ticket requestor in
> RT::Interface::Email::ParseSenderAddressFromHead ?

Because it seems more right to have RT pick up the Reply-To rather than
the From if they're different.

> Thanks!
>
> Chris

cloos at netcologne

Re: mail header parse order for ticket requestor [In reply to]

We have an monitoring system that send notifications with
From: monitoring@...
so the ticket requestor is nobody. ;-)

If you would have more systems that send mail in this way I thought it
would be better to use the From instead of the Reply-To header to
distinguish the different ticket creators.
But the RFC says that a Reply-To header supersedes a From header so you
are right with the current parse order.

Chris