Mailing List Archive: RSyslog: users

Need patch for queue index file fix

RSyslog users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

karthikde at gmail

Jul 19, 2012, 10:08 AM

Need patch for queue index file fix

Hello,

I am building rsyslog version 5.8.6, and have hit this issue described
in this thread :
(lots of queue files left in working directory)
*http://www.mail-archive.com/rsyslog [at] lists/msg06228.html*
it looks like this was fixed in 5.8.9 as per the update in
(*http://www.rsyslog.com/tag/5-8-9/*)

A. Would it be possible to provide a patch for this fix on 5.8.6 ?
(upgrading to a higher version is not an option for me as of now)

B. Also, is there anyway for me to be sure that i am hitting this
issue ? (setting MainMsgQueueCheckpointInterval and
ActionQueueCheckpointInterval did not help)
I see the following :
1. After queue files and queue index files are generated in the
working directory, I stop the local rsyslogd.
2. Now when i start rsyslogd, i see that most messages from the
queue are sent to the remote node after restart.(not all)
3. Again when i stop rsyslogd, The queue files remain the working
directory and only the *.qi(queue index) files are deleted.
Thanks,
Karthik

david at lang

Jul 19, 2012, 2:09 PM

Re: Need patch for queue index file fix [In reply to]

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012, Karthik De wrote:

> I am building rsyslog version 5.8.6, and have hit this issue described
> in this thread :
> (lots of queue files left in working directory)
> *http://www.mail-archive.com/rsyslog [at] lists/msg06228.html*
> it looks like this was fixed in 5.8.9 as per the update in
> (*http://www.rsyslog.com/tag/5-8-9/*)
>
> A. Would it be possible to provide a patch for this fix on 5.8.6 ?
> (upgrading to a higher version is not an option for me as of now)

The normal thing when dealing with community supported software is that
you need to upgrade to the latest version to get the fixes.

to get fixes backported to older versions you need to pay for support
(either by paying your distro vendor and contacting them, or in the case
of rsyslog, paying Adiscon for support of older versions)

All that being said, someone may be willing to do the work to backport
this patch for you, you'll have to see if anyone responds.

David Lang

> B. Also, is there anyway for me to be sure that i am hitting this
> issue ? (setting MainMsgQueueCheckpointInterval and
> ActionQueueCheckpointInterval did not help)
> I see the following :
> 1. After queue files and queue index files are generated in the
> working directory, I stop the local rsyslogd.
> 2. Now when i start rsyslogd, i see that most messages from the
> queue are sent to the remote node after restart.(not all)
> 3. Again when i stop rsyslogd, The queue files remain the working
> directory and only the *.qi(queue index) files are deleted.
> Thanks,
> Karthik

karthikde at gmail

Jul 26, 2012, 3:13 AM

Re: Need patch for queue index file fix [In reply to]

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:39 AM, <david [at] lang> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012, Karthik De wrote:
>
> I am building rsyslog version 5.8.6, and have hit this issue described
>> in this thread :
>> (lots of queue files left in working directory)
>> *http://www.mail-archive.com/**rsyslog [at] lists/**msg06228.html*<http://www.mail-archive.com/rsyslog [at] lists/msg06228.html*>
>>
>> it looks like this was fixed in 5.8.9 as per the update in
>> (*http://www.rsyslog.com/tag/**5-8-9/*<http://www.rsyslog.com/tag/5-8-9/*>
>> )
>>

>> A. Would it be possible to provide a patch for this fix on 5.8.6 ?
>> (upgrading to a higher version is not an option for me as of now)
>>

> The normal thing when dealing with community supported software is that
> you need to upgrade to the latest version to get the fixes.
>
> to get fixes backported to older versions you need to pay for support
> (either by paying your distro vendor and contacting them, or in the case of
> rsyslog, paying Adiscon for support of older versions)
>
> All that being said, someone may be willing to do the work to backport
> this patch for you, you'll have to see if anyone responds.
>
> David Lang

Thanks for your response, I am currently on 5.8.6, what would be the most
stable version (5.8.X) to upgrade to ? I see that the latest version is
5.8.12 .

Karthik

> B. Also, is there anyway for me to be sure that i am hitting this
>> issue ? (setting MainMsgQueueCheckpointInterval and
>> ActionQueueCheckpointInterval did not help)
>> I see the following :
>> 1. After queue files and queue index files are generated in the
>> working directory, I stop the local rsyslogd.
>> 2. Now when i start rsyslogd, i see that most messages from the
>> queue are sent to the remote node after restart.(not all)
>> 3. Again when i stop rsyslogd, The queue files remain the working
>> directory and only the *.qi(queue index) files are deleted.
>> Thanks,
>> Karthik

david at lang

Jul 26, 2012, 11:54 AM

Re: Need patch for queue index file fix [In reply to]

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, Karthik De wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:39 AM, <david [at] lang> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012, Karthik De wrote:
>>
>> I am building rsyslog version 5.8.6, and have hit this issue described
>>> in this thread :
>>> (lots of queue files left in working directory)
>>> *http://www.mail-archive.com/**rsyslog [at] lists/**msg06228.html*<http://www.mail-archive.com/rsyslog [at] lists/msg06228.html*>
>>>
>>> it looks like this was fixed in 5.8.9 as per the update in
>>> (*http://www.rsyslog.com/tag/**5-8-9/*<http://www.rsyslog.com/tag/5-8-9/*>
>>> )
>>>

>>> A. Would it be possible to provide a patch for this fix on 5.8.6 ?
>>> (upgrading to a higher version is not an option for me as of now)
>>>

>> The normal thing when dealing with community supported software is that
>> you need to upgrade to the latest version to get the fixes.
>>
>> to get fixes backported to older versions you need to pay for support
>> (either by paying your distro vendor and contacting them, or in the case of
>> rsyslog, paying Adiscon for support of older versions)
>>
>> All that being said, someone may be willing to do the work to backport
>> this patch for you, you'll have to see if anyone responds.
>>
>> David Lang
>>

> Thanks for your response, I am currently on 5.8.6, what would be the most
> stable version (5.8.X) to upgrade to ? I see that the latest version is
> 5.8.12 .

as far as I know, the latest 5.8.x would be the one to go to, so right now
5.8.12.

David Lang

> Karthik
>

>> B. Also, is there anyway for me to be sure that i am hitting this
>>> issue ? (setting MainMsgQueueCheckpointInterval and
>>> ActionQueueCheckpointInterval did not help)
>>> I see the following :
>>> 1. After queue files and queue index files are generated in the
>>> working directory, I stop the local rsyslogd.
>>> 2. Now when i start rsyslogd, i see that most messages from the
>>> queue are sent to the remote node after restart.(not all)
>>> 3. Again when i stop rsyslogd, The queue files remain the working
>>> directory and only the *.qi(queue index) files are deleted.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Karthik

karthikde at gmail

Aug 1, 2012, 4:25 AM

Re: Need patch for queue index file fix [In reply to]

On 7/27/12, david [at] lang <david [at] lang> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, Karthik De wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:39 AM, <david [at] lang> wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012, Karthik De wrote:
>>>
>>> I am building rsyslog version 5.8.6, and have hit this issue described

>>> The normal thing when dealing with community supported software is that
>>> you need to upgrade to the latest version to get the fixes.
>>>
>>> to get fixes backported to older versions you need to pay for support
>>> (either by paying your distro vendor and contacting them, or in the case
>>> of
>>> rsyslog, paying Adiscon for support of older versions)
>>>
>>> All that being said, someone may be willing to do the work to backport
>>> this patch for you, you'll have to see if anyone responds.
>>>
>>> David Lang
>>>

>> Thanks for your response, I am currently on 5.8.6, what would be the most
>> stable version (5.8.X) to upgrade to ? I see that the latest version is
>> 5.8.12 .
>
> as far as I know, the latest 5.8.x would be the one to go to, so right now
> 5.8.12.
>
> David Lang

As per my tests, I dont see the issue reproducing in 5.8.12 , however
i would like to confirm that the fix for this issue is present there.

I was under the impression that the code changes that fix the issue is :
http://git.adiscon.com/?p=rsyslog.git;a=commitdiff;h=16cc84fc699fc3f830b0c28d677d6ae0daa35723

but this is missing from the 5.8.12 code. What should i look out for
to know that the fix to address this issue is present in 5.8.12.

Thanks,
Karthik