Mailing List Archive: RSyslog: users

How should I configure rsyslog to gather information on multiple hosts, namely how to get also other app logs defined in log4j written to rsyslog?

RSyslog users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

t.guentner at ecircle

Jul 13, 2012, 1:37 AM

How should I configure rsyslog to gather information on multiple hosts, namely how to get also other app logs defined in log4j written to rsyslog?

Hello Guys,

We'd like to install LogAnalyzer which will obtain data gathered by rsyslog.
We decided for rsyslog because in our QA testlab we have only Linux boxes.

Our goal, to gather all the system messages from /var/log directory and the logs from other applications (e.g., in /var/<app_name> or /usr/local/tomcat ...) by using rsyslog. Those applications are running on different hosts and log4j logging utility is using for them.

My question would be how to configure rsyslog deamon to get all the apps logs + system logs gathered? What do I need to do that log4j communicate with rsyslog?

Grateful if you can look into it! I would appreciate if you could help us further.

Many thanks,
Tatjana Güntner

Tatjana Güntner
Quality Assurance

[http://news.ecircle.com/img/banner/elogo.gif]<http://www.ecircle.com/index.php?id=9&L=0&WT.mc_id=ecircle_email_signature_de_homepage>

P: +49 89 12009-748 | F: +49 89 12009-750 | E: t.guentner [at] ecircle<mailto:t.guentner [at] ecircle>
Nymphenburger Höfe NYII, Dachauer Straße 63, 80335 München

Stay in touch
Web<http://www.ecircle.com/de/home.html?WT.mc_id=ecircle_email_signature_de_web> | Newsletter<http://www.ecircle.com/index.php?id=63&L=0&WT.mc_id=ecircle_email_signature_de_newsletter>

Für Hilfe mit dem eC-messenger wenden Sie sich bitte an unseren Support unter
Tel +49 (0)89 120 09 866 oder support-de [at] ecircle<mailto:support-de [at] ecircle>
[http://news.ecircle.com/lmcont/signature/banner-CloudDataManagement.jpg]<http://www.ecircle.com/de/produkte/e-mail-marketing-software/cloud-data-management.html>

eCircle GmbH, HRB 184 478, Handelsregister München, Geschäftsführung: Volker Wiewer (Vorsitzender), Alexander Meyer, Thomas Wilke, Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Dr. Arnold Bahlmann

radu0gheorghe at gmail

Jul 13, 2012, 3:18 AM

Re: How should I configure rsyslog to gather information on multiple hosts, namely how to get also other app logs defined in log4j written to rsyslog? [In reply to]

Hi Tatjana,

I'm not sure if this is what you need, but you can take a look at imfile:
http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/imfile.html

Best regards,
Radu

2012/7/13 Tatjana Güntner <t.guentner [at] ecircle>:
> Hello Guys,
>
> We'd like to install LogAnalyzer which will obtain data gathered by rsyslog.
> We decided for rsyslog because in our QA testlab we have only Linux boxes.
>
> Our goal, to gather all the system messages from /var/log directory and the logs from other applications (e.g., in /var/<app_name> or /usr/local/tomcat ...) by using rsyslog. Those applications are running on different hosts and log4j logging utility is using for them.
>
> My question would be how to configure rsyslog deamon to get all the apps logs + system logs gathered? What do I need to do that log4j communicate with rsyslog?
>
> Grateful if you can look into it! I would appreciate if you could help us further.
>
> Many thanks,
> Tatjana Güntner
>

> Tatjana Güntner
> Quality Assurance
>
> [http://news.ecircle.com/img/banner/elogo.gif]<http://www.ecircle.com/index.php?id=9&L=0&WT.mc_id=ecircle_email_signature_de_homepage>
>
> P: +49 89 12009-748 | F: +49 89 12009-750 | E: t.guentner [at] ecircle<mailto:t.guentner [at] ecircle>
> Nymphenburger Höfe NYII, Dachauer Straße 63, 80335 München
>
> Stay in touch
> Web<http://www.ecircle.com/de/home.html?WT.mc_id=ecircle_email_signature_de_web> | Newsletter<http://www.ecircle.com/index.php?id=63&L=0&WT.mc_id=ecircle_email_signature_de_newsletter>
>
> Für Hilfe mit dem eC-messenger wenden Sie sich bitte an unseren Support unter
> Tel +49 (0)89 120 09 866 oder support-de [at] ecircle<mailto:support-de [at] ecircle>
> [http://news.ecircle.com/lmcont/signature/banner-CloudDataManagement.jpg]<http://www.ecircle.com/de/produkte/e-mail-marketing-software/cloud-data-management.html>
>
> eCircle GmbH, HRB 184 478, Handelsregister München, Geschäftsführung: Volker Wiewer (Vorsitzender), Alexander Meyer, Thomas Wilke, Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Dr. Arnold Bahlmann

JJames at parts-unltd

Jul 13, 2012, 6:45 AM

Re: How should I configure rsyslog to gather information on multiple hosts, namely how to get also other app logs defined in log4j written to rsyslog? [In reply to]

Hi Tatjana,

I second imfile. We have been testing this module for about a month now and it works really well for formatting java stack traces. My biggest complaint is that we lose severity levels, but there are workarounds for that as well at the application level ie logging exceptions to one file etc...

Jason

I'm not sure if this is what you need, but you can take a look at imfile:
http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/imfile.html

Best regards,
Radu

2012/7/13 Tatjana Güntner <t.guentner [at] ecircle>:
> Hello Guys,
>
> We'd like to install LogAnalyzer which will obtain data gathered by rsyslog.
> We decided for rsyslog because in our QA testlab we have only Linux boxes.
>
> Our goal, to gather all the system messages from /var/log directory and the logs from other applications (e.g., in /var/<app_name> or /usr/local/tomcat ...) by using rsyslog. Those applications are running on different hosts and log4j logging utility is using for them.
>
> My question would be how to configure rsyslog deamon to get all the apps logs + system logs gathered? What do I need to do that log4j communicate with rsyslog?
>
> Grateful if you can look into it! I would appreciate if you could help us further.
>
> Many thanks,
> Tatjana Güntner
>

> Tatjana Güntner
> Quality Assurance
>
> [http://news.ecircle.com/img/banner/elogo.gif]<http://www.ecircle.com/index.php?id=9&L=0&WT.mc_id=ecircle_email_signature_de_homepage>
>
> P: +49 89 12009-748 | F: +49 89 12009-750 | E: t.guentner [at] ecircle<mailto:t.guentner [at] ecircle>
> Nymphenburger Höfe NYII, Dachauer Straße 63, 80335 München
>
> Stay in touch
> Web<http://www.ecircle.com/de/home.html?WT.mc_id=ecircle_email_signature_de_web> | Newsletter<http://www.ecircle.com/index.php?id=63&L=0&WT.mc_id=ecircle_email_signature_de_newsletter>
>
> Für Hilfe mit dem eC-messenger wenden Sie sich bitte an unseren Support unter
> Tel +49 (0)89 120 09 866 oder support-de [at] ecircle<mailto:support-de [at] ecircle>
> [http://news.ecircle.com/lmcont/signature/banner-CloudDataManagement.jpg]<http://www.ecircle.com/de/produkte/e-mail-marketing-software/cloud-data-management.html>
>
> eCircle GmbH, HRB 184 478, Handelsregister München, Geschäftsführung: Volker Wiewer (Vorsitzender), Alexander Meyer, Thomas Wilke, Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Dr. Arnold Bahlmann

david at lang

Jul 13, 2012, 11:29 AM

Re: How should I configure rsyslog to gather information on multiple hosts, namely how to get also other app logs defined in log4j written to rsyslog? [In reply to]

for java logs, imfile is not a great choice due to the lines being
multi-line and imfile by default only deals with one line at a time. I
submitted a patch to allow for a paragraph mode, but it seems to have
disappeared somewhere along the line (I don't see it in 6.3.12 anyway)

thee is the log4j module that Rainer wrote that's available at
www.rsyslog.com/tcp-syslog-rfc5424=log4j-appender that properly handles
the logs and sends them as one unit.

There is a syslog option in the standard java log4j stuff, but it
truncates your messages at 1K.

David Lang

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012, Radu Gheorghe wrote:

> Hi Tatjana,
>
> I'm not sure if this is what you need, but you can take a look at imfile:
> http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/imfile.html
>
> Best regards,
> Radu
>
> 2012/7/13 Tatjana G?ntner <t.guentner [at] ecircle>:
>> Hello Guys,
>>
>> We'd like to install LogAnalyzer which will obtain data gathered by rsyslog.
>> We decided for rsyslog because in our QA testlab we have only Linux boxes.
>>
>> Our goal, to gather all the system messages from /var/log directory and the logs from other applications (e.g., in /var/<app_name> or /usr/local/tomcat ...) by using rsyslog. Those applications are running on different hosts and log4j logging utility is using for them.
>>
>> My question would be how to configure rsyslog deamon to get all the apps logs + system logs gathered? What do I need to do that log4j communicate with rsyslog?
>>
>> Grateful if you can look into it! I would appreciate if you could help us further.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Tatjana G?ntner
>>

>> Tatjana G?ntner
>> Quality Assurance
>>
>> [http://news.ecircle.com/img/banner/elogo.gif]<http://www.ecircle.com/index.php?id=9&L=0&WT.mc_id=ecircle_email_signature_de_homepage>
>>
>> P: +49 89 12009-748 | F: +49 89 12009-750 | E: t.guentner [at] ecircle<mailto:t.guentner [at] ecircle>
>> Nymphenburger H?fe NYII, Dachauer Stra?e 63, 80335 M?nchen
>>
>> Stay in touch
>> Web<http://www.ecircle.com/de/home.html?WT.mc_id=ecircle_email_signature_de_web> | Newsletter<http://www.ecircle.com/index.php?id=63&L=0&WT.mc_id=ecircle_email_signature_de_newsletter>
>>
>> F?r Hilfe mit dem eC-messenger wenden Sie sich bitte an unseren Support unter
>> Tel +49 (0)89 120 09 866 oder support-de [at] ecircle<mailto:support-de [at] ecircle>
>> [http://news.ecircle.com/lmcont/signature/banner-CloudDataManagement.jpg]<http://www.ecircle.com/de/produkte/e-mail-marketing-software/cloud-data-management.html>
>>
>> eCircle GmbH, HRB 184 478, Handelsregister M?nchen, Gesch?ftsf?hrung: Volker Wiewer (Vorsitzender), Alexander Meyer, Thomas Wilke, Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Dr. Arnold Bahlmann

rgerhards at hq

Jul 13, 2012, 12:57 PM

Re: How should I configure rsyslog to gather information on multiple hosts, namely how to get also other app logs defined in log4j written to rsyslog? [In reply to]

That wouldn't have been intentional. But I just did a quick check on git master branch, and the patch seems to be there and functional.

Rainer

> thee is the log4j module that Rainer wrote that's available at
> www.rsyslog.com/tcp-syslog-rfc5424=log4j-appender that properly handles
> the logs and sends them as one unit.
>
> There is a syslog option in the standard java log4j stuff, but it
> truncates your messages at 1K.
>
> David Lang
>
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2012, Radu Gheorghe wrote:
>
> > Hi Tatjana,
> >
> > I'm not sure if this is what you need, but you can take a look at
> imfile:
> > http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/imfile.html
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Radu
> >
> > 2012/7/13 Tatjana G?ntner <t.guentner [at] ecircle>:
> >> Hello Guys,
> >>
> >> We'd like to install LogAnalyzer which will obtain data gathered by
> rsyslog.
> >> We decided for rsyslog because in our QA testlab we have only Linux
> boxes.
> >>
> >> Our goal, to gather all the system messages from /var/log directory
> and the logs from other applications (e.g., in /var/<app_name> or
> /usr/local/tomcat ...) by using rsyslog. Those applications are running
> on different hosts and log4j logging utility is using for them.
> >>
> >> My question would be how to configure rsyslog deamon to get all the
> apps logs + system logs gathered? What do I need to do that log4j
> communicate with rsyslog?
> >>
> >> Grateful if you can look into it! I would appreciate if you could
> help us further.
> >>
> >> Many thanks,
> >> Tatjana G?ntner
> >>

> >> Tatjana G?ntner
> >> Quality Assurance
> >>

> [http://news.ecircle.com/img/banner/elogo.gif]<http://www.ecircle.com/i
> ndex.php?id=9&L=0&WT.mc_id=ecircle_email_signature_de_homepage>
> >>
> >> P: +49 89 12009-748 | F: +49 89 12009-750 | E:
> t.guentner [at] ecircle<mailto:t.guentner [at] ecircle>
> >> Nymphenburger H?fe NYII, Dachauer Stra?e 63, 80335 M?nchen
> >>
> >> Stay in touch
> >>
> Web<http://www.ecircle.com/de/home.html?WT.mc_id=ecircle_email_signatur
> e_de_web> |
> Newsletter<http://www.ecircle.com/index.php?id=63&L=0&WT.mc_id=ecircle_
> email_signature_de_newsletter>
> >>
> >> F?r Hilfe mit dem eC-messenger wenden Sie sich bitte an unseren
> Support unter
> >> Tel +49 (0)89 120 09 866 oder support-de [at] ecircle<mailto:support-
> de [at] ecircle>
> >> [http://news.ecircle.com/lmcont/signature/banner-
> CloudDataManagement.jpg]<http://www.ecircle.com/de/produkte/e-mail-
> marketing-software/cloud-data-management.html>
> >>
> >> eCircle GmbH, HRB 184 478, Handelsregister M?nchen,
> Gesch?ftsf?hrung: Volker Wiewer (Vorsitzender), Alexander Meyer, Thomas
> Wilke, Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Dr. Arnold Bahlmann

david at lang

Jul 13, 2012, 1:26 PM

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012, Rainer Gerhards wrote:

>> for java logs, imfile is not a great choice due to the lines being
>> multi-line and imfile by default only deals with one line at a time. I
>> submitted a patch to allow for a paragraph mode, but it seems to have
>> disappeared somewhere along the line (I don't see it in 6.3.12 anyway)
>
> That wouldn't have been intentional. But I just did a quick check on git
> master branch, and the patch seems to be there and functional.

since the paragraph mode never made it into the documentation, I went to
try and find what the parameter was in the code and didn't see it. I'll
do some more digging.

David Lang

JJames at parts-unltd

Jul 13, 2012, 1:31 PM

Re: How should I configure rsyslog to gather information on multiple hosts, namely how to get also other app logs defined in log4j written to rsyslog? [In reply to]

$InputFileReadMode 2 is the "indent" mode, which formats the java stack traces nicely.

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012, Rainer Gerhards wrote:

>> for java logs, imfile is not a great choice due to the lines being
>> multi-line and imfile by default only deals with one line at a time. I
>> submitted a patch to allow for a paragraph mode, but it seems to have
>> disappeared somewhere along the line (I don't see it in 6.3.12 anyway)
>
> That wouldn't have been intentional. But I just did a quick check on git
> master branch, and the patch seems to be there and functional.

since the paragraph mode never made it into the documentation, I went to
try and find what the parameter was in the code and didn't see it. I'll
do some more digging.

David Lang

rgerhards at hq

Jul 13, 2012, 1:38 PM

Re: How should I configure rsyslog to gather information on multiple hosts, namely how to get also other app logs defined in log4j written to rsyslog? [In reply to]

I have to admit I do not necessarily try to fix missing doc in contributions - I am bad enough with that for my own stuff ;)

Rainer

t.guentner at ecircle

Jul 17, 2012, 6:57 AM

Re: How should I configure rsyslog to gather information on multiple hosts, namely how to get also other app logs defined in log4j written to rsyslog? [In reply to]

Thanks a lot, for all your replies!!!
I'll come back to you if I have more questions :)

Cheers,
Tatjana