Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: RSyslog: users

rsyslog-5.8.11 omit syncing is always on?

 

 

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All RSyslog users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


rgerhards at hq

Jun 1, 2012, 7:09 AM

Post #26 of 28 (533 views)
Permalink
Re: rsyslog-5.8.11 omit syncing is always on? [In reply to]

> -----Original Message-----
> From: rsyslog-bounces [at] lists [mailto:rsyslog-
> bounces [at] lists] On Behalf Of Marcin Miroslaw
> Sent: Friday, June 01, 2012 1:19 PM
> To: rsyslog [at] lists
> Subject: Re: [rsyslog] rsyslog-5.8.11 omit syncing is always on?
>
> W dniu 01.06.2012 13:12, Rainer Gerhards pisze:
> > FYI: I can even reproduce a case where rsyslog does not terminate...
>
> Bug 299 strikes back?

Thankfully not - I had overlooked that you had configured a 10 sec timeout. I simply was too impatient ;)

Rainer
_______________________________________________
rsyslog mailing list
http://lists.adiscon.net/mailman/listinfo/rsyslog
http://www.rsyslog.com/professional-services/
What's up with rsyslog? Follow https://twitter.com/rgerhards


marcin at mejor

Jun 4, 2012, 1:34 AM

Post #27 of 28 (550 views)
Permalink
Re: rsyslog-5.8.11 omit syncing is always on? [In reply to]

W dniu 2012-06-01 15:24, Rainer Gerhards pisze:
> Yes, that was exactly the problem. A patch is available here:
>
> http://git.adiscon.com/?p=rsyslog.git;a=commitdiff;h=fd46d10a4f49da35758ab9201f6f863d69d5d4f5
>
> It works for me, at least during quick testing. Would be great if you could also try it out.
>
> Note, however, that it does not (and cannot) solve the issue that a filled-up action message queue will cause delays on the main queue. You can reproduce this problem if you remove the disk queue and let your script run. There is no way to prevent this without discarding messages in the action queue. However, I need to check if the action queue is configurable enough so that one can configure immediate discarding on queue full state. I think that's currently not possible.

Hello!

The patch is very short but works!:)
I think i have to read much more about queues in rsyslog. But i tried
mentioned example. I turned off diskqueue ( commented out
"$ActionQueueType" and "$WorkDirectory" ), i added
"$ActionQueueTimeoutEnqueue 0". Now i can observe:
- debug log (when message arrives):

> 7904.390975526:7f604188e700: --------imuxsock calling select, active file descriptors (max 3): 3
> 7904.391001800:7f604188e700: Message from UNIX socket: #3
> 7904.391025237:7f604188e700: queue.c:2447:qqueueEnqObj: mutex 0x1aa3360 waiting on lock, held by queue.c:2447 [7f604088c700]
> 7904.391030565:7f604188e700: queue.c:2447:qqueueEnqObj: mutex 0x1aa3360 aquired
> 7904.391036094:7f604188e700: main Q: queue nearly full (10000 entries), but could not drop msg (iRet: 0, severity 5)
> 7904.391041638:7f604188e700: main Q: enqueueMsg: queue FULL - waiting to drain.
> 7904.980815118:7f604088c700: wti worker in full delay timed out, checking termination...
> 7905.980900166:7f604088c700: wti worker in full delay timed out, checking termination...
> 7906.391115725:7f604188e700: main Q: enqueueMsg: cond timeout, dropping message!
> 7906.391138282:7f604188e700: queue.c:2459:qqueueEnqObj: mutex 0x1aa3360 UNlocked
> 7906.391143964:7f604188e700: main Q: EnqueueMsg advised worker start
> 7906.391153498:7f604188e700: --------imuxsock calling select, active file descriptors (max 3): 3

- my one-liner takes ages to finish, in exim_log i can see one message
per two seconds (when main queue becomes full)
- nothing appears in /var/log/wszystko.log
- in debug log (when no message arrives to rsyslog) i can see:
8192.787179727:7f604088c700: wti worker in full delay timed out,
checking termination...
8193.787273011:7f604088c700: wti worker in full delay timed out,
checking termination...

- everything starts to work correctly wneh relp destonation becomes
available

Is everything correct in this behavior? Especially long executing of logger?
Thanks for fix!
Marcin
_______________________________________________
rsyslog mailing list
http://lists.adiscon.net/mailman/listinfo/rsyslog
http://www.rsyslog.com/professional-services/
What's up with rsyslog? Follow https://twitter.com/rgerhards


rgerhards at hq

Jun 4, 2012, 1:59 AM

Post #28 of 28 (537 views)
Permalink
Re: rsyslog-5.8.11 omit syncing is always on? [In reply to]

> -----Original Message-----
> From: rsyslog-bounces [at] lists [mailto:rsyslog-
> bounces [at] lists] On Behalf Of Marcin Miroslaw
> Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 10:35 AM
> To: rsyslog [at] lists
> Subject: Re: [rsyslog] rsyslog-5.8.11 omit syncing is always on?
>
> W dniu 2012-06-01 15:24, Rainer Gerhards pisze:
> > Yes, that was exactly the problem. A patch is available here:
> >
> >
> http://git.adiscon.com/?p=rsyslog.git;a=commitdiff;h=fd46d10a4f49da35758ab
> 9201f6f863d69d5d4f5
> >
> > It works for me, at least during quick testing. Would be great if you could also
> try it out.
> >
> > Note, however, that it does not (and cannot) solve the issue that a filled-up
> action message queue will cause delays on the main queue. You can reproduce
> this problem if you remove the disk queue and let your script run. There is no
> way to prevent this without discarding messages in the action queue. However, I
> need to check if the action queue is configurable enough so that one can
> configure immediate discarding on queue full state. I think that's currently not
> possible.
>
> Hello!
>
> The patch is very short but works!:)
Great!

> I think i have to read much more about queues in rsyslog. But i tried
> mentioned example. I turned off diskqueue ( commented out
> "$ActionQueueType" and "$WorkDirectory" ), i added

If you comment out queueType, you keep the action without a queue, so it is sync and any delay will stop processing on the main queue as well. To just remove the disk queue, simply remove the queue file name directive.

> "$ActionQueueTimeoutEnqueue 0". Now i can observe:
> - debug log (when message arrives):
>
> > 7904.390975526:7f604188e700: --------imuxsock calling select, active file
> descriptors (max 3): 3
> > 7904.391001800:7f604188e700: Message from UNIX socket: #3
> > 7904.391025237:7f604188e700: queue.c:2447:qqueueEnqObj: mutex
> 0x1aa3360 waiting on lock, held by queue.c:2447 [7f604088c700]
> > 7904.391030565:7f604188e700: queue.c:2447:qqueueEnqObj: mutex
> 0x1aa3360 aquired
> > 7904.391036094:7f604188e700: main Q: queue nearly full (10000 entries), but
> could not drop msg (iRet: 0, severity 5)
> > 7904.391041638:7f604188e700: main Q: enqueueMsg: queue FULL - waiting
> to drain.
> > 7904.980815118:7f604088c700: wti worker in full delay timed out, checking
> termination...
> > 7905.980900166:7f604088c700: wti worker in full delay timed out, checking
> termination...
> > 7906.391115725:7f604188e700: main Q: enqueueMsg: cond timeout,
> dropping message!
> > 7906.391138282:7f604188e700: queue.c:2459:qqueueEnqObj: mutex
> 0x1aa3360 UNlocked
> > 7906.391143964:7f604188e700: main Q: EnqueueMsg advised worker start
> > 7906.391153498:7f604188e700: --------imuxsock calling select, active file
> descriptors (max 3): 3
>
> - my one-liner takes ages to finish, in exim_log i can see one message
> per two seconds (when main queue becomes full)
> - nothing appears in /var/log/wszystko.log
> - in debug log (when no message arrives to rsyslog) i can see:
> 8192.787179727:7f604088c700: wti worker in full delay timed out,
> checking termination...
> 8193.787273011:7f604088c700: wti worker in full delay timed out,
> checking termination...
>
> - everything starts to work correctly wneh relp destonation becomes
> available
>
> Is everything correct in this behavior? Especially long executing of logger?
Yes, because you run the action in direct mode.
Rainer

> Thanks for fix!
> Marcin
> _______________________________________________
> rsyslog mailing list
> http://lists.adiscon.net/mailman/listinfo/rsyslog
> http://www.rsyslog.com/professional-services/
> What's up with rsyslog? Follow https://twitter.com/rgerhards
_______________________________________________
rsyslog mailing list
http://lists.adiscon.net/mailman/listinfo/rsyslog
http://www.rsyslog.com/professional-services/
What's up with rsyslog? Follow https://twitter.com/rgerhards

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All RSyslog users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.