Mailing List Archive: RSyslog: users

making it easier to upgrade

RSyslog users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jrhett at netconsonance

making it easier to upgrade

On Apr 4, 2012, at 11:09 PM, david [at] lang wrote:
> You should also think about upgrading, rsyslgo 4.6 is old enough that it's no longer really supported (except via a support contract or by RedHat) and there are a LOT of improvements in later versions

I believe that for you to expect this of people, we need to get working ports (*bsd) and RPMs of the software out there. I know that when I last tried rsyslog from ports on freebsd it was quite old, and the port didn't work out of the box. This person is probably using an RHEL6 variant which ships with 4.6. Likewise many people are still running RHEL5 variants, which ship with 3.22.

And the packages page from rsyslog.com indicates exactly that -- it says "rsyslog is available as part of the core distribution" -- perhaps it should say "there's an old version in the distribution, here's a link to how to get a modern version".

So yes, I agree that we should all be running more modern versions -- let's make it easier for people. I've spent a few hours modifying the one from EPEL to function on RHEL5. I'll submit that revision back to this list when I am done. Likewise I'll do the FreeBSD port, but those are the only two platforms I have easy access to right now.

For people running Fedora, this seems to work with only a minor version number change:
http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/fedora/updates/16/x86_64/rsyslog-5.8.7-1.fc16.x86_64.html

--
Jo Rhett

rgerhards at hq

Re: making it easier to upgrade [In reply to]

I full back the idea of having more current RPMs. Unfortunately, the day has
only so many hours, so I don't manage to create them. Will gladly link to any
that's available. I appreciate the effort you put into building and
contributing yours.
Rainer

trefalgar at realitybytes

Re: making it easier to upgrade [In reply to]

Quoting Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards [at] hq>:
> I full back the idea of having more current RPMs. Unfortunately, the day has
> only so many hours, so I don't manage to create them. Will gladly link to any
> that's available. I appreciate the effort you put into building and
> contributing yours.
> Rainer

But isn't there just a generic issue with RedHat (at least) where a
lot of their packages are years old? Look at Net-SNMP if you want
another example - talk about stuck in the dark ages.

I *think* that's a problem with RedHat, not with the maintainers of
the individual products, thus a problem we're not likely to have a
chance of affecting.

Jacob

rgerhards at hq

Re: making it easier to upgrade [In reply to]

Well... I just today had a chat with s/o from red hat and it look RHEL 6.3
will have a quite recent rsyslog. But they won't change the older versions
for sure...

Rainer

> Jacob

jrhett at netconsonance

Re: making it easier to upgrade [In reply to]

On Apr 5, 2012, at 10:32 AM, Jacob Steinberger wrote:
> But isn't there just a generic issue with RedHat (at least) where a lot of their packages are years old? Look at Net-SNMP if you want another example - talk about stuck in the dark ages.
>
> I *think* that's a problem with RedHat, not with the maintainers of the individual products, thus a problem we're not likely to have a chance of affecting.

What ships in the distro isn't within our control. But telling people to upgrade to a modern version without providing any information on how to do so is pretty harsh. If you want them to use modern versions, then you need to give them a means to get a modern version.

I build and rebuild RPMs on a daily basis, and I spent almost 5 hours getting a working RPM of 5.8.9 (updated to 5.8.10 this amů) Most people aren't up to this level of effort.

--
Jo Rhett