Mailing List Archive: RSyslog: users

An Update: project Lumberjack

RSyslog users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

rgerhards at hq

Mar 1, 2012, 3:57 AM

An Update: project Lumberjack

Hi all,

there has been some very interesting things going on, and I can now talk more
openly about it. Actually, I am a day late as I attended a conference
yesterday.

I suggest you have a look at

http://blog.gerhards.net/2012/02/announcing-project-lumberjack.html

and for those of you with Windows machines, this may also be an interesting
announcement regarding the new effort:

http://blog.gerhards.net/2012/03/cee-enhanced-event-log-to-syslog.html

Rainer

sean at conman

Mar 1, 2012, 8:17 AM

Re: An Update: project Lumberjack [In reply to]

It was thus said that the Great Rainer Gerhards once stated:
> Hi all,
>
> there has been some very interesting things going on, and I can now talk more
> openly about it. Actually, I am a day late as I attended a conference
> yesterday.
>
> I suggest you have a look at
>
> http://blog.gerhards.net/2012/02/announcing-project-lumberjack.html
>
> and for those of you with Windows machines, this may also be an interesting
> announcement regarding the new effort:
>
> http://blog.gerhards.net/2012/03/cee-enhanced-event-log-to-syslog.html

So, now that you are using JSON, does that mean RFC-5424 is DOA? [1]

-spc

[1] Dead On Arrival

rgerhards at hq

Mar 1, 2012, 8:56 AM

Re: An Update: project Lumberjack [In reply to]

> > http://blog.gerhards.net/2012/03/cee-enhanced-event-log-to-
> syslog.html
>
> So, now that you are using JSON, does that mean RFC-5424 is DOA? [1]

RFC5424: no, because we need the better header

RFC5424 structured data: future will tell. My guess is "probably yes", but I
have to admit I don't care so much if it is JSON or RFC5424 structured data
or <whatever> as long as it attracts enough momentum. With cee-enhanced being
a combined effort of the CEE folks, MITRE, Red Hat, Balabit and Adiscon, it
probably has a good chance to attract that momentum.

Rainer