Mailing List Archive: RANCID: Users

BNT help?

RANCID users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jonmills at renci

BNT help?

Does anyone have experience using rancid with a Blade Network
Technologies (BNT) switch? BNT is now owned by IBM, however. Running a
'show version' states the switch OS as:

"IBM Networking Operating System RackSwitch G8052"

Any advice would be much appreciated!

--
Jonathan Mills
Systems Administrator

jonmills at renci

Re: BNT help? [In reply to]

For instance, I can confirm that I am able to login to it, and get into
enable mode, using /usr/libexec/rancid/clogin. So, it's kinda like
Cisco. Where it fails, is that it can't answer all the commands that
rancid wants to send. I'm new to rancid, and I don't get how to manage
(or filter?) the commands I want it to run. Only things I really want
it to do (all of which work, when I put them on the command like ( -c )
using clogin):

show version
show boot
show vlans
show running-config

--

On 04/09/2012 04:07 PM, Jonathan Mills wrote:
> Does anyone have experience using rancid with a Blade Network
> Technologies (BNT) switch? BNT is now owned by IBM, however. Running a
> 'show version' states the switch OS as:
>
> "IBM Networking Operating System RackSwitch G8052"
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated!

jbaldwin at antinode

Re: BNT help? [In reply to]

You should be able to make a copy of rancid to, for instance, bntrancid and modify the @commandtable array to only include the commands you want then add it to the %vendortable in rancid-fe.

Re: BNT help? [In reply to]

James et al:

So I created a file, /usr/libexec/rancid/bntrancid, a copy of
/usr/libexec/rancid/rancid, with a modified commandtable, which looks
like this:

# Main
@commandtable = (
{'show version' => 'ShowVersion'},
{'show vlan' => 'ShowVLAN'},
{'show running-config' => 'WriteTerm'},
{'write term' => 'WriteTerm'},
);
# Use an array to preserve the order of the commands and a hash for mapping
# commands to the subroutine and track commands that have been completed.
@commands = map(keys(%$_), @commandtable);
%commands = map(%$_, @commandtable);

I further edited /usr/libexec/rancid/rancid-fe thus:

%vendortable = (
'agm' => 'agmrancid',
'alteon' => 'arancid',
'arista' => 'arrancid',
'avocent' => 'avorancid',
'baynet' => 'brancid',
'ibmbnt' => 'bntrancid',

And in /var/rancid/mygroup/router.db, I've added a line containing

myhostname:ibmbnt:up

It almost works, but something is snagging. The logs show the following:

=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 1.
8052.renci.xo: End of run not found
end
8264.renci.xo: End of run not found
end
8052.bbn.xo: End of run not found
end
8264.bbn.xo clogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
8264.bbn.xo: missed cmd(s): show version,write term,show
running-config,show vlan
8264.bbn.xo: End of run not found
!
=====================================

Re: BNT help? [In reply to]

Is the shell terminator the same as a Cisco? That is, is it using a # mark or a different terminator?

Re: BNT help? [In reply to]

It is using a #

On Apr 9, 2012, at 5:50 PM, "James Baldwin" <jbaldwin [at] antinode> wrote:

> Is the shell terminator the same as a Cisco? That is, is it using a # mark or a different terminator?
>
> On Apr 9, 2012, at 3:23 PM, Jonathan Mills wrote:
>
>> For instance, I can confirm that I am able to login to it, and get into enable mode, using /usr/libexec/rancid/clogin. So, it's kinda like Cisco. Where it fails, is that it can't answer all the commands that rancid wants to send. I'm new to rancid, and I don't get how to manage (or filter?) the commands I want it to run. Only things I really want it to do (all of which work, when I put them on the command like ( -c ) using clogin):
>>
>> show version
>> show boot
>> show vlans
>> show running-config
>>
>> --
>> Jonathan Mills
>> Systems Administrator
>> Renaissance Computing Institute
>> UNC-Chapel Hill
>>
>> On 04/09/2012 04:07 PM, Jonathan Mills wrote:
>>> Does anyone have experience using rancid with a Blade Network
>>> Technologies (BNT) switch? BNT is now owned by IBM, however. Running a
>>> 'show version' states the switch OS as:
>>>
>>> "IBM Networking Operating System RackSwitch G8052"
>>>
>>> Any advice would be much appreciated!

david.gomez at grupoversia

Feb 19, 2014, 3:27 AM

Re: BNT help? [In reply to]

Jonathan Mills <jonmills <at> renci.org> writes:

> It is using a #

Hi Jonathan,

I am in your same situation.
┬┐Did you finally get how to get the rackswitch configuration with rancid?

Greetings!