Mailing List Archive: RANCID: Users

get running-config to other network

RANCID users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

vincent at autistici

Jan 19, 2012, 4:49 AM

get running-config to other network

hello,
I can configure rancid to get him configuration of a switch with VLANs
management on another network?

this is possible?

--
vincent

david.rodriguez18 at upr

Jan 19, 2012, 4:56 AM

Re: get running-config to other network [In reply to]

Sorry I just subscribed to rancid looking for support.

I can configure rancid to get him configuration of a switch with VLANs
management on another network?

this is possible?

--
vincent

shouldbeq931 at gmail

Jan 19, 2012, 1:36 PM

Re: get running-config to other network [In reply to]

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:49 PM, vincent <vincent [at] autistici> wrote:
> hello,
> I can configure rancid to get him configuration of a switch with VLANs
> management on another network?
>
> this is possible?
>
> --
> vincent

As long as you have IP connectivity to the device and it is
"supported" by rancid, then its location is irrelevant.

I use rancid to collect configurations from devices on several continents

vincent at autistici

Jan 19, 2012, 2:23 PM

Re: get running-config to other network [In reply to]

Il 19/01/2012 22:36, shouldbe q931 ha scritto:

> As long as you have IP connectivity to the device and it is
> "supported" by rancid, then its location is irrelevant.
>
> I use rancid to collect configurations from devices on several continents

is ok
but I can use a router (eg 10.10.10.0/24) on which I have connectivity
as a bridge to a switch to another network (eg 20.20.20.0/24)?

--
vincent

tyler at tolaris

Jan 19, 2012, 2:50 PM

Re: get running-config to other network [In reply to]

On 2012-01-19 22:23, vincent wrote:
> Il 19/01/2012 22:36, shouldbe q931 ha scritto:
>
>> As long as you have IP connectivity to the device and it is
>> "supported" by rancid, then its location is irrelevant.
>>
>> I use rancid to collect configurations from devices on several continents
>>

> is ok
> but I can use a router (eg 10.10.10.0/24) on which I have connectivity
> as a bridge to a switch to another network (eg 20.20.20.0/24)?

Your question has nothing to do with RANCID.

>From the RANCID server, if you can telnet to the router by IP address or
hostname, then RANCID can support it. If not, you have a routing problem.
Fix that first.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"[...] we are not attacking the corporations, but endeavoring to do
away with any evil in them. We are not hostile to them; we are merely

vincent at autistici

Jan 19, 2012, 3:15 PM

Re: get running-config to other network [In reply to]

Il 19/01/2012 23:50, Tyler J. Wagner ha scritto:

> Your question has nothing to do with RANCID.
>
>>From the RANCID server, if you can telnet to the router by IP address or
> hostname, then RANCID can support it. If not, you have a routing problem.
> Fix that first.

I don't have a routing problem.
I have the following scenario:
- I have two separate networks: A=10.10.10.0/24 and B=20.20.20.0/24
- The hosts on network "A" do not need to communicate with hosts on
network "B"
- I can access (on telnet) the router that separates the two networks
(A and B)
- I can not install rancid in both networks

If the network "A" (10.10.10.0/24) I can log into the router that
divides the network, can allow rancid (with script or other method) to
perform a second authentication of network devices to the network "B"
(if: 20.20.20.1)?

--
vincent

list at soccergeek

Jan 19, 2012, 4:09 PM

Re: get running-config to other network [In reply to]

On 01/19/2012 03:15 PM, vincent wrote:
> I have the following scenario:
> - I have two separate networks: A=10.10.10.0/24 and B=20.20.20.0/24
> - The hosts on network "A" do not need to communicate with hosts on
> network "B"

At least one host on network "A" needs to communicate with hosts on
network "B" ;)

> If the network "A" (10.10.10.0/24) I can log into the router that
> divides the network, can allow rancid (with script or other method) to
> perform a second authentication of network devices to the network "B"
> (if: 20.20.20.1)?

I don't believe rancid supports bouncing through one router to get to
another. I suppose adding a static route on the RANCiD server to get to
network "B" might work, depending on what networks you're connected to
and what the routing/firewall policies are.

> I don't have a routing problem.

This seems like a routing problem to me. Your network admins either
need to let you route through to network "B" or install a RANCiD server
in both networks.

--
@@ron

ttauber at 1-4-5

Jan 20, 2012, 5:03 AM

Re: get running-config to other network [In reply to]

Actually, this question has come up before (I think even from me once)
about devices which are only reachable via some sort of gateway (e.g.
telnet from one device to another or console access via terminal server).
I haven't done it and don't have the need in my current environment but I
believe there may have been some patches or hacks devised to deal with it.

Tony

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM, Aaron Smith <list [at] soccergeek> wrote:

> On 01/19/2012 03:15 PM, vincent wrote:
>
>> I have the following scenario:
>> - I have two separate networks: A=10.10.10.0/24 and B=20.20.20.0/24
>> - The hosts on network "A" do not need to communicate with hosts on
>> network "B"
>>

> At least one host on network "A" needs to communicate with hosts on
> network "B" ;)
>

> If the network "A" (10.10.10.0/24) I can log into the router that
>> divides the network, can allow rancid (with script or other method) to
>> perform a second authentication of network devices to the network "B"
>> (if: 20.20.20.1)?
>>

> I don't believe rancid supports bouncing through one router to get to
> another. I suppose adding a static route on the RANCiD server to get to
> network "B" might work, depending on what networks you're connected to and
> what the routing/firewall policies are.
>

> > I don't have a routing problem.
>
> This seems like a routing problem to me. Your network admins either need
> to let you route through to network "B" or install a RANCiD server in both
> networks.
>
> --
> @@ron

sarikoudis at googlemail

Jan 20, 2012, 7:26 AM

Re: get running-config to other network [In reply to]

I had the same problem (some years ago)
There is a solution but I cannot remember the term used for this case
:( intermediate logon or something....
Search old list archives. (if i find something I ll come back)

2012/1/20 Tony Tauber <ttauber [at] 1-4-5>:
> Actually, this question has come up before (I think even from me once) about
> devices which are only reachable via some sort of gateway (e.g. telnet from
> one device to another or console access via terminal server).
> I haven't done it and don't have the need in my current environment but I
> believe there may have been some patches or hacks devised to deal with it.
>
> Tony
>
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM, Aaron Smith <list [at] soccergeek> wrote:
>>
>> On 01/19/2012 03:15 PM, vincent wrote:
>>>
>>> I have the following scenario:
>>>   - I have two separate networks: A=10.10.10.0/24 and B=20.20.20.0/24
>>>   - The hosts on network "A" do not need to communicate with hosts on
>>> network "B"
>>

>> At least one host on network "A" needs to communicate with hosts on
>> network "B" ;)
>>

>>> If the network "A" (10.10.10.0/24) I can log into the router that
>>> divides the network, can allow rancid (with script or other method) to
>>> perform a second authentication of network devices to the network "B"
>>> (if: 20.20.20.1)?
>>

>> I don't believe rancid supports bouncing through one router to get to
>> another.  I suppose adding a static route on the RANCiD server to get to
>> network "B" might work, depending on what networks you're connected to and
>> what the routing/firewall policies are.
>>

>> > I don't have a routing problem.
>>
>> This seems like a routing problem to me.  Your network admins either need
>> to let you route through to network "B" or install a RANCiD server in both
>> networks.
>>
>> --
>> @@ron

sarikoudis at googlemail

Jan 20, 2012, 9:24 AM

Re: get running-config to other network [In reply to]

found it
have a look on:
http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2004-November/000905.html

2012/1/20 Tony Tauber <ttauber [at] 1-4-5>:
> Actually, this question has come up before (I think even from me once) about
> devices which are only reachable via some sort of gateway (e.g. telnet from
> one device to another or console access via terminal server).
> I haven't done it and don't have the need in my current environment but I
> believe there may have been some patches or hacks devised to deal with it.
>
> Tony
>
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM, Aaron Smith <list [at] soccergeek> wrote:
>>
>> On 01/19/2012 03:15 PM, vincent wrote:
>>>
>>> I have the following scenario:
>>>   - I have two separate networks: A=10.10.10.0/24 and B=20.20.20.0/24
>>>   - The hosts on network "A" do not need to communicate with hosts on
>>> network "B"
>>

>> At least one host on network "A" needs to communicate with hosts on
>> network "B" ;)
>>

>>> If the network "A" (10.10.10.0/24) I can log into the router that
>>> divides the network, can allow rancid (with script or other method) to
>>> perform a second authentication of network devices to the network "B"
>>> (if: 20.20.20.1)?
>>

>> I don't believe rancid supports bouncing through one router to get to
>> another.  I suppose adding a static route on the RANCiD server to get to
>> network "B" might work, depending on what networks you're connected to and
>> what the routing/firewall policies are.
>>

>> > I don't have a routing problem.
>>
>> This seems like a routing problem to me.  Your network admins either need
>> to let you route through to network "B" or install a RANCiD server in both
>> networks.
>>
>> --
>> @@ron

vincent at autistici

Jan 24, 2012, 2:02 AM

Re: get running-config to other network [In reply to]

Hi,
thanks theodoros

I have modified my version on /home/rancid/bin/clogin but don't work.

This is the diff from the original clogin file:
http://paste.debian.net/153437/

I suppose the reason is the different version of clogin

This is my .cloginrc file on /home/rancid/

add user * user
add method 10.10.10.1 telnet
add method 10.10.10.1 dssh:20.20.20.1
add password 10.10.10.1 password password
add password 20.20.20.1 password password

--
vincent

vincent at autistici

Jan 30, 2012, 7:32 AM

Re: get running-config to other network [In reply to]

Il 24/01/2012 11:02, vincent ha scritto:
> Hi,
> thanks theodoros
>
> I have modified my version on /home/rancid/bin/clogin but don't work.
>
> This is the diff from the original clogin file:
> http://paste.debian.net/153437/
>
> I suppose the reason is the different version of clogin
>
> This is my .cloginrc file on /home/rancid/
>
> add user * user
> add method 10.10.10.1 telnet
> add method 10.10.10.1 dssh:20.20.20.1
> add password 10.10.10.1 password password
> add password 20.20.20.1 password password

Hi,
i tried to download the old clogin version [2.3.2a8*] for apply this
patch:

http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2006-May/001490.html

But isn't possibile download it for permission error:

$ wget ftp://ftp.shrubbery.net/pub/rancid/.old/rancid-2.3.2a8.tar.gz
--2012-01-30 16:03:58--
ftp://ftp.shrubbery.net/pub/rancid/.old/rancid-2.3.2a8.tar.gz
=> `rancid-2.3.2a8.tar.gz'
Resolving ftp.shrubbery.net... 129.250.47.99
Connecting to ftp.shrubbery.net|129.250.47.99|:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done. ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD (1) /pub/rancid/.old ... done.
==> SIZE rancid-2.3.2a8.tar.gz ... 316677
==> PASV ... done. ==> RETR rancid-2.3.2a8.tar.gz ...
No such file `rancid-2.3.2a8.tar.gz'.

But the file is present on the directory:
ftp://ftp.shrubbery.net/pub/rancid/.old/

Do you know other ways to download this old version?

If I try to apply the patch in the current version of clogin [2.3.6],
this is the result:

$ patch clogin patch-2006.diff
patching file clogin
Hunk #1 FAILED at 288.
Hunk #2 succeeded at 352 with fuzz 2 (offset 33 lines).
Hunk #3 FAILED at 642.
Hunk #4 succeeded at 871 with fuzz 2 (offset 103 lines).
2 out of 4 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file clogin.rej

this is the content of my clogin.rej files:

http://paste.debian.net/plainh/23ab99c5

[*: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/rancid/users/3285]

--
vincent