Mailing List Archive: Quagga: Users

OSPFd unstability problem

Quagga users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mayamta00 at yahoo

Jul 13, 2012, 11:04 PM

OSPFd unstability problem

Hello,

I'm using quagga-0.99.15 on OpenSuse 10.2, trying to run OSPF routing protocol.

I  checked my configuration, they're all correct. also i checked my cables and NICs. they worked well, but the problem is that sometimes routing does not work correct(my routers can not ping each other while other times everything works well)

does anyone encounter such problems?
why this problem happens?
is it related to my quagga version and Linux?

Thanks In Advance for your help

troglobit at gmail

Jul 14, 2012, 1:18 PM

Re: OSPFd unstability problem [In reply to]

Have you tried a later Quagga version?

I would recommend 0.99.17 which is very stable, or later, but only with the
following patch to
fix a certain regression.

https://github.com/troglobit/quagga/commit/ba72bcdfdc8d5116dfac22d9ec58635b9016adda

Regards
/Joachim

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Maryam Ta <mayamta00 [at] yahoo> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using quagga-0.99.15 on OpenSuse 10.2, trying to run OSPF routing
> protocol.
> I checked my configuration, they're all correct. also i checked my cables
> and NICs. they worked well, but the problem is that sometimes routing does
> not work correct(my routers can not ping each other while other times
> everything works well)
>
> does anyone encounter such problems?
> why this problem happens?
> is it related to my quagga version and Linux?
>
> Thanks In Advance for your help

tyler at tolaris

Jul 14, 2012, 3:03 PM

Re: OSPFd unstability problem [In reply to]

On 2012-07-14 07:04, Maryam Ta wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using quagga-0.99.15 on OpenSuse 10.2, trying to run OSPF routing
> protocol.
> I checked my configuration, they're all correct. also i checked my cables
> and NICs. they worked well, but the problem is that sometimes routing does
> not work correct(my routers can not ping each other while other times
> everything works well)

That doesn't describe an instability in OSPF. That is one possible cause of
the issue you are seeing - that you cannot reliably ping. Or it could be
many other things. Some questions:

1. When ping doesn't work, have the OSPF-announced routes disappeared from
the Linux kernel routing table?

2. Is there anything indicating a problem in the debug logs? Turn on
logging and read them.

3. Does your routing setup have multiple paths between two routers? If so,
you could be seeing problems with rp_filter, the reverse path filter. This
is my personal demon:

http://www.tolaris.com/2009/07/13/disabling-reverse-path-filtering-in-complex-networks/

Regards,
Tyler

--
"Scientific theories can be altered by publishing a paper with
reproducible results, and political principles can be changed every two

mayamta00 at yahoo

Jul 15, 2012, 3:03 AM

Re: OSPFd unstability problem [In reply to]

1.Oh!  I'm a newbie and i have'nt think of checking OSPF routes
2.sure! I will turn on logging for further tests and check what will happen.
3.No, I have'nt multiple routes between routers.

Thanks for your help

________________________________
[...]

Jul 15, 2012, 3:07 AM

Re: OSPFd unstability problem [In reply to]

well, i've tried different Quagga versions also 0.99.17.
does linux has any limitations on Quagga versions? i mean are all Quagga versions compatible with all Linux distros and versions?

________________________________

Have you tried a later Quagga version?

I would recommend 0.99.17 which is very stable, or later, but only with the following patch to
fix a certain regression.

https://github.com/troglobit/quagga/commit/ba72bcdfdc8d5116dfac22d9ec58635b9016adda

Regards
 /Joachim

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Maryam Ta <mayamta00 [at] yahoo> wrote:

Hello,

>I'm using quagga-0.99.15 on OpenSuse 10.2, trying to run OSPF routing protocol.
>
>I  checked my configuration, they're all correct. also i checked my cables and NICs. they worked well, but the problem is that sometimes routing does not work correct(my routers can not ping each other while other times everything works well)
>

>does anyone encounter such problems?
>why this problem happens?
>is it related to my quagga version and Linux?
>

>Thanks In Advance for your help

mayamta00 at yahoo

Jul 17, 2012, 5:15 AM

Re: OSPFd unstability problem [In reply to]

does anyone know the answer,please?

________________________________

well, i've tried different Quagga versions also 0.99.17.
does linux has any limitations on Quagga versions? i mean are all Quagga versions compatible with all Linux distros and versions?

________________________________

Have you tried a later Quagga version?

I would recommend 0.99.17 which is very stable, or later, but only with the following patch to
fix a certain regression.

https://github.com/troglobit/quagga/commit/ba72bcdfdc8d5116dfac22d9ec58635b9016adda

Regards
 /Joachim

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Maryam Ta <mayamta00 [at] yahoo> wrote:

Hello,

>I'm using quagga-0.99.15 on OpenSuse 10.2, trying to run OSPF routing protocol.
>
>I  checked my configuration, they're all correct. also i checked my cables and NICs. they worked well, but the problem is that sometimes routing does not work correct(my routers can not ping each other while other times everything works well)
>

>does anyone encounter such problems?
>why this problem happens?
>is it related to my quagga version and Linux?
>

>Thanks In Advance for your help

nick at inex

Jul 17, 2012, 5:49 AM

Re: OSPFd unstability problem [In reply to]

On 17/07/2012 13:15, Maryam Ta wrote:
> cables and NICs. they worked well, but the problem is that sometimes
> routing does not work correct(my routers can not ping each other while
> other times everything works well)

if your routers cannot ping each other, your problems are not related to
quagga. They're related to a possibly broken network infrastructure. You
need to fix this first before dealing with any quagga issues.

Nick

bclark at spectraaccess

Jul 17, 2012, 6:23 AM

Re: OSPFd unstability problem [In reply to]

Enable logging and see what it is getting printed in the log file. ospf
works fine in Quagga, we've been using it for years through our network
without any problems.

On 07/17/2012 08:15 AM, Maryam Ta wrote:
> does anyone know the answer,please?:( sad

> **
>
> well, i've tried different Quagga versions also 0.99.17.
> does linux has any limitations on Quagga versions? i mean are all
> Quagga versions compatible with all Linux distros and versions?

> **
> Have you tried a later Quagga version?
>
> I would recommend 0.99.17 which is very stable, or later, but only
> with the following patch to
> fix a certain regression.
>
> https://github.com/troglobit/quagga/commit/ba72bcdfdc8d5116dfac22d9ec58635b9016adda
>
> Regards
> /Joachim
>
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Maryam Ta <mayamta00 [at] yahoo
> <mailto:mayamta00 [at] yahoo>> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm using quagga-0.99.15 on OpenSuse 10.2, trying to run OSPF
> routing protocol.
> I checked my configuration, they're all correct. also i checked
> my cables and NICs. they worked well, but the problem is that
> sometimes routing does not work correct(my routers can not ping
> each other while other times everything works well)
>
> does anyone encounter such problems?
> why this problem happens?
> is it related to my quagga version and Linux?
>
> Thanks In Advance for your help

mayamta00 at yahoo

Jul 17, 2012, 10:04 PM

Re: OSPFd unstability problem [In reply to]

@Nick : well,  i'm not sure the problem is related to the network infrastructure. i've reviewed different config files and am  sure of structure and configuration (testing a very simple one(just 3 routers and 2 areas)).

@Bret : I will enable it for my other tests to see  what will happen

I just want to become sure of my choices for Linux  & Quagga version.

Thanks all for your answers.

tyler at tolaris

Jul 17, 2012, 10:53 PM

Re: OSPFd unstability problem [In reply to]

On 2012-07-18 06:04, Maryam Ta wrote:
> I just want to become sure of my choices for Linux & Quagga version.

Your choices there are fine. Start with the simple possible issues ("it is
unplugged") before guessing at complicated ones ("the computerised timing
system is needs adjustments").

Regards,
Tyler

--
"Copyright is a bargain, not property. We agreed not to copy because
they agreed it would only be for a short period of time. They have broken