Mailing List Archive: Quagga: Users

configure ripd to listen on all active interfaces

Quagga users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

devin.bougie at cornell

configure ripd to listen on all active interfaces

Hi, All. Any recommendations for configuring ripd to listen on all active interfaces would be greatly appreciated.

An example of our current ripd.conf is as follows:

------
! -*- rip -*-
!
hostname ripd
!
!debug rip events
!debug rip packet
!debug rip zebra
!
interface eth0
no ip rip authentication mode
!
router rip
network eth0
passive-interface default
!
log file /var/log/quagga/ripd.log
!
------

This works great for a system with eth0 as the single active network interface. However, it obviously needs to be updated for a system with additional or different active interfaces. I have not yet found a ripd.conf that tells ripd to listen for rip advertisements on all active interfaces.

Any suggestions for updating our rip configuration would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Devin

tyler at tolaris

Re: configure ripd to listen on all active interfaces [In reply to]

On 2012-04-05 15:52, Devin Bougie wrote:
> Hi, All. Any recommendations for configuring ripd to listen on all active interfaces would be greatly appreciated.

Does this work (I'm not sure):

router rip
network 0.0.0.0/0

Regards,
Tyler

--
"... that your voice is amplified to the degree where it reaches from
one end of the country to the other does not confer upon you greater

devin.bougie at cornell

Re: configure ripd to listen on all active interfaces [In reply to]

Hi Tyler,

On Apr 5, 2012, at 12:00 PM, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
> On 2012-04-05 15:52, Devin Bougie wrote:
>> Hi, All. Any recommendations for configuring ripd to listen on all active interfaces would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Does this work (I'm not sure):
>
> router rip
> network 0.0.0.0/0

Yes, it does. Thank you very much.

For what it's worth, I had previously tried this on SL4 (RHEL4 - quagga 0.98.3) and SL5 (quagga 0.98.6) and it did not work. With your encouragement I've now tried it on SL6 ( quagga 0.99.15) and it does work. That's good enough for me.

Here's our updated ripd.conf.
------
! -*- rip -*-
!
hostname ripd
!
!debug rip events
!debug rip packet
!debug rip zebra
!
interface 0.0.0.0/0
no ip rip authentication mode
!
router rip
network 0.0.0.0/0
passive-interface default
!
log file /var/log/quagga/ripd.log
!
------

Thanks again,
Devin

tyler at tolaris

Re: configure ripd to listen on all active interfaces [In reply to]

Of course, you should firewall this device. Right now your router will
insert routes sent to it from anything that speaks RIP, without authentication.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"To have a child is to give fate a hostage."
-- John F. Kennedy