Mailing List Archive: Quagga: Users

Redistrubiting of static routes versus kernel routes

Quagga users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

dtoman at fortech

Oct 7, 2010, 5:01 AM

Redistrubiting of static routes versus kernel routes

Hi,

On our linux boxes I use static routes in Zebra daemon to define IP
blocks we want to send to outside using OSPF. On each linux then the
larger IP blocks are heavily fragmented (routed as /30 usually).
So I have for example following definition

1.2.3.0/24 Null0

in zebra

and

1.2.3.0/30 via x.y
1.2.3.4/30 via x.z

It works fine. Zebra creates a /24 blackhole and kernel has the /24
fragmented into smaller subnets. OSPF redistributes static and
connected (but no kernel) routes so it redistributes 1.2.3.0/24.

But on one server I have a situation where the static route and the
kernel one have equal bitmask. OSPF in this case doesn't announce the
subnet to OSPF neighbor.

For example:
sh ip route 10.0.0.0
Routing entry for 10.0.0.0/22
Known via "static", distance 1, metric 0, blackhole
directly connected, Null0

Routing entry for 10.0.0.0/22
Known via "kernel", distance 0, metric 0, best
* x.y.x.y, via eth1

Is there an easy way how to configure quagga to redistribute
10.0.0.0/22 in such a case?

Regards
D. Toman

craig.miskell at opus

Oct 7, 2010, 12:29 PM

Re: Redistrubiting of static routes versus kernel routes [In reply to]

dtoman at fortech

Oct 12, 2010, 10:33 AM

Re: Redistrubiting of static routes versus kernel routes [In reply to]

On Thursday, October 07, 2010 9:29 PM ,
Craig Miskell <craig.miskell [at] opus> wrote:

> Dalibor Toman wrote:
>> Hi,
>> But on one server I have a situation where the static route and the
>> kernel one have equal bitmask. OSPF in this case doesn't announce
>> the
>> subnet to OSPF neighbor.
>>
>> For example:
>> sh ip route 10.0.0.0
>> Routing entry for 10.0.0.0/22
>> Known via "static", distance 1, metric 0, blackhole
>> directly connected, Null0
>>
>> Routing entry for 10.0.0.0/22
>> Known via "kernel", distance 0, metric 0, best
>> * x.y.x.y, via eth1
>>
>> Is there an easy way how to configure quagga to redistribute
>> 10.0.0.0/22 in such a case?
> Is there any reason you can't tell OSPF to redistribute the kernel
> routes: router ospf
> redistribute kernel
>
> on the server that needs it. It's not a great solution, but it
> might
> be what you're after in this case.

there is more than 1100 /30 and /29 (and there are larger subnets
too) routes on the Linux box and I don't want to export them to OSPF
ouside this area.

And I saw several notes on WWW that redistributing kernel routes in
quagga is a bad idea..

Regars
Dalibor Toman

quagga-users at alexis

Oct 12, 2010, 3:46 PM

Re: Redistrubiting of static routes versus kernel routes [In reply to]

It's fine if you're careful to filter them. Use a prefix-list and specify exactly which routes you want.

/a