Mailing List Archive: Quagga: Dev

quagga-0.99.21:lib/vty.c sockopt_v6only

Quagga dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

kemp at network-services

Jun 21, 2012, 1:33 PM

quagga-0.99.21:lib/vty.c sockopt_v6only

I believe this line overloads some behavior people
actually want.

line 1820: sockopt_v6only (ainfo->ai_family, sock);

Fedora 14 Linux 2.6.35.10-74

bgpd -d -u quagga -g quaggavty -A :: -P 23

If you do that, you can only get to the cli using
the IPV6 address, not 127.0.0.1 or the V4 address.

If you comment out that line, then you can get to
the cli on v4, v6, and localhost.

--
John Kemp (kemp [at] network-services)
RouteViews Engineer

equinox at opensourcerouting

Jun 21, 2012, 11:40 PM

Re: quagga-0.99.21:lib/vty.c sockopt_v6only [In reply to]

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 01:33:39PM -0700, John Kemp wrote:
> I believe this line overloads some behavior people
> actually want.
>
> line 1820: sockopt_v6only (ainfo->ai_family, sock);
>
> Fedora 14 Linux 2.6.35.10-74
>
> bgpd -d -u quagga -g quaggavty -A :: -P 23
>
> If you do that, you can only get to the cli using
> the IPV6 address, not 127.0.0.1 or the V4 address.
>
> If you comment out that line, then you can get to
> the cli on v4, v6, and localhost.

As far as I remember, there were failures in other places depending on
the sequence of binds, it would bind IPv6, then fail on IPv4 and then
crash and die -- or something like that.

The "clean" solution is allowing multiple -A options.

-David
Attachments: signature.asc (0.22 KB)

kemp at network-services

Jun 22, 2012, 11:09 AM

Re: quagga-0.99.21:lib/vty.c sockopt_v6only [In reply to]

On 6/21/12 11:40 PM, David Lamparter wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 01:33:39PM -0700, John Kemp wrote:
>> I believe this line overloads some behavior people
>> actually want.
>>
>> line 1820: sockopt_v6only (ainfo->ai_family, sock);
>>
>> Fedora 14 Linux 2.6.35.10-74
>>
>> bgpd -d -u quagga -g quaggavty -A :: -P 23
>>
>> If you do that, you can only get to the cli using
>> the IPV6 address, not 127.0.0.1 or the V4 address.
>>
>> If you comment out that line, then you can get to
>> the cli on v4, v6, and localhost.
> As far as I remember, there were failures in other places depending on
> the sequence of binds, it would bind IPv6, then fail on IPv4 and then
> crash and die -- or something like that.
>
> The "clean" solution is allowing multiple -A options.
>

> -David

Yeah, I saw old quagga-dev thread related to bgp_network,
but I never saw anyone say that was a cure in relation to the vty. So I
think
this sockopt_v6only inside lib/vty.c probably didn't help anyone.

Agreed on your general solution.
But it would be nice to keep "-A ::" as one of those options.