Mailing List Archive: Quagga: Dev

trilld for Linux

Quagga dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

08beesmmkazmi at seecs

trilld for Linux

Hi,
I am porting the trilld for solaris to linux. I have modified it
because solaris uses 'libdladm' library which is not available for
linux by commenting that part of code temporarily. Then I have make
and make install it. It is done fine. But i don't understand how to
invoke 'trilld' from the '/usr/local/sbin' and for starting purpose
what are the initial inputs and how would i give these inputs to the
'trilld'.

regards,
Syed M. Mohsin Kazmi

carlsonj at workingcode

Re: trilld for Linux [In reply to]

On 4/27/12 6:42 PM, Syed Muhammad Mohsin Kazmi wrote:
> Hi,
> I am porting the trilld for solaris to linux. I have modified it
> because solaris uses 'libdladm' library which is not available for
> linux by commenting that part of code temporarily. Then I have make
> and make install it. It is done fine. But i don't understand how to
> invoke 'trilld' from the '/usr/local/sbin' and for starting purpose
> what are the initial inputs and how would i give these inputs to the
> 'trilld'.

If you've successfully ported it, and if you have all of the kernel
support for TRILL in place, it should run with just the name of the
bridge. The normal invocation on Solaris looks like this:

/usr/sbin/trilld -i "" instancename

Where "instancename" is the name of the bridge. It's also possible to
use the "-f" option to specify an alternate configuration file, which is
useful when debugging so that you can enable the VTY interface.

--
James Carlson 42.703N 71.076W <carlsonj [at] workingcode>

carlsonj at workingcode

Jun 14, 2012, 11:59 AM

Re: trilld for Linux [In reply to]

Syed Muhammad Mohsin Kazmi wrote:
> Hi,
> I have successfully ported trilld for Linux. But forwarding tables
> are not generated by "trill_create_nickfwdtable". I have attached the
> running state of trilld and wireshark capture. The topology that i used
> is very basic. Two virtual machines attached to rbridge1 and one virtual
> machine to rbridge2.
>
> I don't know what is the problem.

It's been quite a few years since I worked on this stuff, but if I
recall correctly, you won't see any forwarding entries calculated in a
network that's this simple, because every node can reach every other
node through the shared network.

I believe you need something like this:

<linkA>--RB1--<linkB>--RB2--<linkC>--RB3--<linkD>

RB1 will become the appointed forwarder for linkA, RB3 for linkD, and
they'll negotiate for linkB and linkC.

Then RB1 should calculate forwarding entries for at least RB3 and RB3
will calculate for RB1.

--
James Carlson 42.703N 71.076W <carlsonj [at] workingcode>