Mailing List Archive: Quagga: Dev

Re: [quagga-users 12819] Re: [Babel-users] Babeld merged with GPL headers against copyright holders' wishes

Quagga dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jch at pps

Mar 28, 2012, 6:07 AM

Re: [quagga-users 12819] Re: [Babel-users] Babeld merged with GPL headers against copyright holders' wishes

Now that I've set the record straight, there's hardly any point to
continuing this thread.

> What would you have preferred Paul to do instead? Not merge the code at all?

The respectful thing to do would have been to give us the choice between
adding GPL headers or not getting merged. Adding the GPL headers to our
code behind our backs is rude.

Please, let's not continue this thread.

-- Juliusz

nick at inex

Mar 28, 2012, 6:57 AM

Re: [quagga-users 12824] Re: [Babel-users] Babeld merged with GPL headers against copyright holders' wishes [In reply to]

On 28/03/2012 14:07, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> The respectful thing to do would have been to give us the choice between
> adding GPL headers or not getting merged. Adding the GPL headers to our
> code behind our backs is rude.

Juliusz, I think you need to make a decision here: is your preference to
keep the current headers with both GPL and MIT license, or do you want the
source code removed from all of the quagga git repos.

Nick

paul at jakma

Mar 28, 2012, 8:14 AM

Re: [quagga-users 12819] Re: [Babel-users] Babeld merged with GPL headers against copyright holders' wishes [In reply to]

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> The respectful thing to do would have been to give us the choice between
> adding GPL headers or not getting merged. Adding the GPL headers to our
> code behind our backs is rude.

1. We did consult with you about the options, several times. We stopped
including you after you told us that you had no wish to discuss licensing
further.

2. We considered not merging. However, we decided that it would, on
balance, be better for everyone to do the merge. We agreed it was better
for the community and Quagga generally to have a "safe" babeld published
through our tree, than to not merge and have just "unclear" versions out
there (in trees that are not ours).

Where "safe" means:

"We're reasonably confident all applicable licences are being honoured,
and best practices followed"

while "unclear" means:

"We couldn't get non-lawyer programmers involved to all agree this is
definitely safe, and we couldn't get a lawyer to tell us it's safe
either, indeed the SFLC lawyer we asked expressed some doubt."

regards,
--
Paul Jakma paul [at] jakma twitter: @pjakma PGP: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: