Mailing List Archive: Qmail: users

Sorry, I couldn't find any host named ktc.com. (#5.1.2)

Qmail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

doherty at tri

Nov 6, 2002, 12:03 PM

Sorry, I couldn't find any host named ktc.com. (#5.1.2)

I have recently started getting the above error on all out going
email. I believe
this might be a DNS problem, but I was wondering were I configure which DNS
qmail-send uses. Does is use the Linux (7.2) RH default set in
/etc/reslov.conf ?

thanks

Jim Doherty
Principal Member Technical Staff

============================== ERROR ============================

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at job.jdoherty.net.

From: "James M Doherty \(JADM\)" <jadm [at] jdoherty>

dcj-dated-1036609837.nlloemff at palomine

Nov 6, 2002, 12:16 PM

Re: Sorry, I couldn't find any host named ktc.com. (#5.1.2) [In reply to]

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:03:53PM -0600, Doherty, Jim wrote:
> I have recently started getting the above error on all out going
> email.

Do you mean literally that you get the error "Sorry, I couldn't find any host
named ktc.com" for all outgoing mail, or only mail that you're trying to send
to *@ktc.com, or do you mean that whatever the domain is, you always get a
"Sorry, I couldn't find any host named X" for some value of X?

> I believe this might be a DNS problem, but I was wondering were I configure
> which DNS qmail-send uses. Does is use the Linux (7.2) RH default set in
> /etc/reslov.conf ?

It does normal DNS lookups, just like you'd do from the command line. (By the
way, if your file is really called /etc/reslov.conf, that may be your problem.)

Are you able to resolve the MX record for ktc.com from that computer?

Chris

doherty at jdoherty

Nov 6, 2002, 12:20 PM

Re: Sorry, I couldn't find any host named ktc.com. (#5.1.2) [In reply to]

I get it on any outbound mail with the appropriate domain for that out bound
message.

Jim
> On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:03:53PM -0600, Doherty, Jim wrote:
> > I have recently started getting the above error on all out going
> > email.
>
> Do you mean literally that you get the error "Sorry, I couldn't find any
host
> named ktc.com" for all outgoing mail, or only mail that you're trying to
send
> to *@ktc.com, or do you mean that whatever the domain is, you always get a
> "Sorry, I couldn't find any host named X" for some value of X?
>
> > I believe this might be a DNS problem, but I was wondering were I
configure
> > which DNS qmail-send uses. Does is use the Linux (7.2) RH default set in
> > /etc/reslov.conf ?
>
> It does normal DNS lookups, just like you'd do from the command line. (By
the
> way, if your file is really called /etc/reslov.conf, that may be your
problem.)

> Are you able to resolve the MX record for ktc.com from that computer?
>
> Chris

doherty at tri

Nov 6, 2002, 12:21 PM

RE: Sorry, I couldn't find any host named ktc.com. (#5.1.2) [In reply to]

No not specific to that host, I get it on all outbound messages with
The domain may be different depending on the destination...

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:03:53PM -0600, Doherty, Jim wrote:
> I have recently started getting the above error on all out going
> email.

Do you mean literally that you get the error "Sorry, I couldn't find any
host named ktc.com" for all outgoing mail, or only mail that you're trying
to send to *@ktc.com, or do you mean that whatever the domain is, you always
get a "Sorry, I couldn't find any host named X" for some value of X?

> I believe this might be a DNS problem, but I was wondering were I
> configure which DNS qmail-send uses. Does is use the Linux (7.2) RH
> default set in /etc/reslov.conf ?

It does normal DNS lookups, just like you'd do from the command line. (By
the way, if your file is really called /etc/reslov.conf, that may be your
problem.)

Are you able to resolve the MX record for ktc.com from that computer?

Chris

doherty at tri

Nov 6, 2002, 12:22 PM

RE: Sorry, I couldn't find any host named ktc.com. (#5.1.2) [In reply to]

The /etc/resolv.conf was a typo..

jim

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:03:53PM -0600, Doherty, Jim wrote:
> I have recently started getting the above error on all out going
> email.

Do you mean literally that you get the error "Sorry, I couldn't find any
host named ktc.com" for all outgoing mail, or only mail that you're trying
to send to *@ktc.com, or do you mean that whatever the domain is, you always
get a "Sorry, I couldn't find any host named X" for some value of X?

> I believe this might be a DNS problem, but I was wondering were I
> configure which DNS qmail-send uses. Does is use the Linux (7.2) RH
> default set in /etc/reslov.conf ?

It does normal DNS lookups, just like you'd do from the command line. (By
the way, if your file is really called /etc/reslov.conf, that may be your
problem.)

Are you able to resolve the MX record for ktc.com from that computer?

Chris

qmail at discworld

Nov 6, 2002, 12:23 PM

Re: Sorry, I couldn't find any host named ktc.com. (#5.1.2) [In reply to]

Please put error messages and such in the body of your message; don't rely on
the Subject: or other header field contents. I've corrected this for this
reply.

Doherty, Jim <doherty [at] tri> wrote:

> I have recently started getting "Sorry, I couldn't find any host named
> ktc.com. (#5.1.2)" errors on all out going email. I believe this might be a
> DNS problem, but I was wondering were I configure which DNS qmail-send uses.
> Does is use the Linux (7.2) RH default set in /etc/reslov.conf ?

Yes, qmail will use the resolver(s) listed in /etc/resolv.conf. I presume
that was just a typo on your part?

Charles
Charles Cazabon <qmail [at] discworld>
GPL'ed software available at: http://www.qcc.ca/~charlesc/software/
Read http://www.qcc.ca/~charlesc/writings/12-steps-to-qmail-list-bliss.html

japc at co

Nov 7, 2002, 9:52 AM

Re: Sorry, I couldn't find any host named ktc.com. (#5.1.2) [In reply to]

Words by Doherty, Jim [Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:21:25PM -0600]:
> No not specific to that host, I get it on all outbound messages with
> The domain may be different depending on the destination...

Check your smtproutes and check your /etc/resolv.conf. Can you resolve
from the command line (try dig)?

--
Jose Celestino || SysAdmin::SAPO.pt http://www.sapo.pt
http://xpto.org/~japc

Qmail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded