Mailing List Archive: Qmail: users

Qmail with popular patch returns error 5.7.1

Qmail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

guymerritt2 at aol

Aug 5, 2010, 9:30 PM

Qmail with popular patch returns error 5.7.1

I installed Qmail from the Qmailrocks guide - years ago - and, subsequently, have spent considerable time at the Life With Qmail site to actually get a grasp of what all that copying and pasting was actually doing (and I was 50-years-old when I first started fiddling with *Nix or, for that matter, computers in general). Recently I endeavored to upgrade my Qmail installation using some patches and run scripts from John Simpson; my presumption is that numerous people on a list, such as this, are probably familiar with John and some of his contributions to Qmail and Unix. At any rate, I have spent about 6 weeks trying to implement his most recent patch in conjunction with his supervisory scripts and I keep getting a host of errors - most notably, the 5.7.1 "not in my list of valid rcpthosts" error when I try to send mail globally (from a desktop email client - Thunderbird, specifically). I don't think the email client program has anything to with this, by the way. It almost seems like a DNS sort of thing because I get a telnet error when I endeavor to do telnet localhost 25 (under certain conditions - that is, if the IP number in the smtpd run file is set to the network box number - as John suggests is optimal).

This issue may be well beyond the scope of this list. I have been fighting with this thing for so long (about 7 weeks, off and on) that I actually bought a domain and posted a page which explains, in great detail, every step I took and every problem I've encountered. I thought that it might be easier for someone to see my mistake if they saw the "whole picture". For a complete look at what I've done you can go to http://www.qmailquestions.info. There's even a PHP comment form (yep - I am really desperate to add some of these features and get this thing working). And I must tell you....I've just about given up.

I noticed that there were copious warnings and proscriptions regarding what was acceptable on this list in terms of, well, pretty much everything - from bad thinking to bad spelling. Noticeably lacking, to my delight, were any warnings regarding posture or religion; I'm a very bad Catholic with horrible posture. I have had 2 short stories published so perhaps, if nothing else, this was a good read. Seriously, if anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Regards,
Guy Merritt
Flint, MI

daniel at nullroutes

Aug 6, 2010, 1:52 AM

Re: Qmail with popular patch returns error 5.7.1 [In reply to]

On 06/08/2010 05:30, guymerritt2 [at] aol wrote:

> I installed Qmail from the Qmailrocks guide - years ago - and,
> subsequently, have spent considerable time at the Life With Qmail site
> to actually get a grasp of what all that copying and pasting was
> actually doing (and I was 50-years-old when I first started fiddling
> with *Nix or, for that matter, computers in general). Recently I
> endeavored to upgrade my Qmail installation using some patches and run
> scripts from John Simpson; my presumption is that numerous people on a
> list, such as this, are probably familiar with John and some of his
> contributions to Qmail and Unix. At any rate, I have spent about 6 weeks
> trying to implement his most recent patch in conjunction with his
> supervisory scripts and I keep getting a host of errors - most notably,
> the 5.7.1 "not in my list of valid rcpthosts" error when I try to send
> mail globally (from a desktop email client - Thunderbird, specifically).
> I don't think the email client program has anything to with this, by the
> way. It almost seems like a DNS sort of thing because I get a telnet
> error when I endeavor to do telnet localhost 25 (under certain
> conditions - that is, if the IP number in the smtpd run file is set to
> the network box number - as John suggests is optimal).
>
> This issue may be well beyond the scope of this list. I have been
> fighting with this thing for so long (about 7 weeks, off and on) that I
> actually bought a domain and posted a page which explains, in great
> detail, every step I took and every problem I've encountered. I thought
> that it might be easier for someone to see my mistake if they saw the
> "whole picture". For a complete look at what I've done you can go to
> http://www.qmailquestions.info. There's even a PHP comment form (yep - I
> am really desperate to add some of these features and get this thing
> working). And I must tell you....I've just about given up.
>
> I noticed that there were copious warnings and proscriptions regarding
> what was acceptable on this list in terms of, well, pretty much
> everything - from bad thinking to bad spelling. Noticeably lacking, to
> my delight, were any warnings regarding posture or religion; I'm a very
> bad Catholic with horrible posture. I have had 2 short stories published
> so perhaps, if nothing else, this was a good read. Seriously, if anyone
> could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.
>
> Regards,
> Guy Merritt
> Flint, MI

From having a quick read of your website, it looks like your
/var/qmail/control/validrcptto.cdb database is not updated with a list
of local users.

In your smtp run script, the following relates:
VALIDRCPTTO_CDB="$VQ/control/validrcptto.cdb"
VALIDRCPTTO_LIMIT=10
VALIDRCPTTO_LOG=2

Perhaps disable it, or update it:

cd /var/qmail/control
mkvalidrcptto -c validrcptto.cdb
more info at http://qmail.jms1.net/scripts/mkvalidrcptto.shtml

Hope this helps.

Dan

amb-sendok-1283729389.iigoidoogbpddcbfaack at bradfo

Aug 6, 2010, 4:29 PM

Re: Qmail with popular patch returns error 5.7.1 [In reply to]

Thus said guymerritt2 [at] aol on Fri, 06 Aug 2010 00:30:51 EDT:

> his supervisory scripts and I keep getting a host of errors - most
> notably, the 5.7.1 "not in my list of valid rcpthosts" error when I
> try to send mail globally (from a desktop email client - Thunderbird,
> specifically).

This error means that your email client (and more specifically, the IP
address which your client uses), is not allowed to relay email to remote
domains through your SMTP server. Locate your tcprules file and add an
entry for your IP address, or make sure that whatever authentication
method you are using for qmail-smtpd is functioning properly and setting
RELAYCLIENT appropriately.

Andy

Qmail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded