Mailing List Archive: Qmail: users

[Announce] qmail-authentication 0.7.0 -- CRAM-MD5 support added to qmail-remote

Qmail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

feh at fehcom

Aug 4, 2010, 2:05 PM

[Announce] qmail-authentication 0.7.0 -- CRAM-MD5 support added to qmail-remote

Hi everybody,

for those, who are still interested in qmail + authentication:

Finally, I integrated CRAM-MD5 as additional authentication method into
qmail-remote (as required by RFC 4945 for unencrypted SMTP connections).

Thus, by means of the qmail-authentication-070 patch, both qmail-remote
and qmail-smtpd support the methods CRAM-MD5, LOGIN, and PLAIN
uniformly.

Of course, for qmail-smtpd a suitable PAM is required.

Source: http://www.fehcom.de/qmail/smtpauth.html

regards.
--eh.

PS: This method will additional be part of SPAMCONTROL 2.7.

--
Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

lists-qmail at maexotic

Aug 6, 2010, 8:00 AM

Re: [Announce] qmail-authentication 0.7.0 -- CRAM-MD5 support added to qmail-remote [In reply to]

Hoi Erwin,

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 11:05:07PM +0200, Erwin Hoffmann wrote:
> Finally, I integrated CRAM-MD5 as additional authentication method into
> qmail-remote (as required by RFC 4945 for unencrypted SMTP connections).

Can't use CRAM-MD5 as my el cheapo checkpasswd-ldap can't handle it,
but I took your post as cause to finally have my server behind the DSL line
send the messages to my mail server via submission and SMTP AUTH (which
I wanted to do for like 4 years ;-)).

Downloading, applying and compiling the patch with netqmail-1.06, replacing
the qmail-remote binary and creating the control/authsenders file
was a matter of 5 minutes and it worked like a charm on the first try.

Great work! Thanks!

\Maex

feh at fehcom

Aug 6, 2010, 8:16 AM

Re: [Announce] qmail-authentication 0.7.0 -- CRAM-MD5 support added to qmail-remote [In reply to]

Hi Markus,

Am Freitag, den 06.08.2010, 17:00 +0200 schrieb Markus Stumpf:
> Hoi Erwin,
>
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 11:05:07PM +0200, Erwin Hoffmann wrote:
> > Finally, I integrated CRAM-MD5 as additional authentication method into
> > qmail-remote (as required by RFC 4945 for unencrypted SMTP connections).
>
> Can't use CRAM-MD5 as my el cheapo checkpasswd-ldap can't handle it,
> but I took your post as cause to finally have my server behind the DSL line
> send the messages to my mail server via submission and SMTP AUTH (which
> I wanted to do for like 4 years ;-)).
>
> Downloading, applying and compiling the patch with netqmail-1.06, replacing
> the qmail-remote binary and creating the control/authsenders file
> was a matter of 5 minutes and it worked like a charm on the first try.

Glad to hear that!

If you now use additionally TLS encryption, qmail has eventually entered
the 21st century.

regards.
--eh.