Mailing List Archive: Qmail: users

IPv6 in qmail

Qmail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mail at sabahattin-gucukoglu

Feb 6, 2010, 10:11 AM

IPv6 in qmail

Hi all,

I want to get IPv6 support in a qmail installation. I can get tcpserver v6-enabled so qmail can accept v6 connections, but what about the sending (client) half? Does qmail's code need knowledge of address formats at all in order to log trace information, server or client?

Cheers,
Sabahattin

bturner at bltweb

Feb 6, 2010, 10:32 AM

Re: IPv6 in qmail [In reply to]

On 02/06/2010 12:11 PM, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:
> I want to get IPv6 support in a qmail installation. I can get tcpserver v6-enabled so qmail can accept v6 connections, but what about the sending (client) half? Does qmail's code need knowledge of address formats at all in order to log trace information, server or client?

I recently enabled IPv6 for my qmail server. Enabling ipv6 in tcpserver
is only half the battle. To send email to IPv6 hosts, qmail needs to
support IPv6 addresses internally and know how to look up AAAA records
from DNS. There is a patch:
http://member.wide.ad.jp/~fujiwara/qmail-1.03-v6-20021006.diff
that does this.

I've written a series of articles about my experiences here:
http://www.brandonturner.net/blog/2009/08/qmail-ipv6/
I use John Simpson's patch, and thus the articles are targeted towards
his combined patch, but you may still find it useful.

Brandon

bh at izb

Feb 7, 2010, 2:48 AM

Re: IPv6 in qmail [In reply to]

Sabahattin Gucukoglu <mail [at] sabahattin-gucukoglu> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to get IPv6 support in a qmail installation. I can get tcpserver v6-enabled so qmail can accept v6 connections, but what about the sending (client) half? Does qmail's code need knowledge of address formats at all in order to log trace information, server or client?

Somewhat this is odd choice. Use Postfix. Postfix is perfact for IPv6. I
don't think qmail's IPv6 features is stable.

Sincerely,

--
"If you wanta talk to me, get me on Pop's special phone but don't call me
unless it's really important."

mail at sabahattin-gucukoglu

Feb 7, 2010, 8:40 AM

Re: IPv6 in qmail [In reply to]

On 7 Feb 2010, at 10:48, Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
> Sabahattin Gucukoglu <mail [at] sabahattin-gucukoglu> writes:
>> I want to get IPv6 support in a qmail installation. I can get tcpserver v6-enabled so qmail can accept v6 connections, but what about the sending (client) half? Does qmail's code need knowledge of address formats at all in order to log trace information, server or client?
>
> Somewhat this is odd choice. Use Postfix. Postfix is perfact for IPv6. I
> don't think qmail's IPv6 features is stable.

Yes, indeed, it is looking very much like the eventual solution. Or Courier; that is very qmail-like but has IPv6. Or XMail.

I wish qmail were actually maintained properly though, then we wouldn't get this nonsense. I like it, just like I like artifacts of computing history, but feel strongly I must have IPv6. It's making using it on my binary-only distribution quite hard. A friend of mine just left qmail bound for Postfix, now I understand why. But qmail has a lot going for it, it's simple and not overkill, that even Postfix isn't now with its 400+ useless conf variables and its awkward master process ...

Ah, well. Thanks anyway.

Cheers,
Sabahattin

mailers at oranged

Feb 15, 2010, 2:51 PM

Re: IPv6 in qmail [In reply to]

Hi There,

IPv6 is something that I feel very strongly about and it was the final reason why we had to move out Qmail Toaster environment to Zimbra with IPv6 on the front end services. After implementing the patches for IPv6 on a x64 linux distribution we had a large number of stability problems which made us have to make some hard decisions. It's very unfortunate as I really love the qmail simplicity. There are some things that still don't behave the way we want with postfix/zimbra but at least its rock solid stable.