Mailing List Archive: Qmail: users

Smtproute : more one name/ip ? Email based ?

Qmail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jerome at phibee

Jan 22, 2010, 10:11 PM

Smtproute : more one name/ip ? Email based ?

Hi

I want know if it's possible:

* Specifie into the smtproute file more that one server ? if first
are down, he use the second
Or only use a DNS name with round robin

* Can i specify a server destination base on the email ? sample:
test [at] mydomaine:192.168.10.100
mydomaine.com:192.168.10.50
Mail vers test are sent at the server 192.168.10.100 and other at
192.168.10.50

Thanks for your help
Jerome

--
Jerome Schevingt
Ingénieur Systèmes et Réseaux

feh at fehcom

Jan 23, 2010, 3:07 AM

Re: Smtproute : more one name/ip ? Email based ? [In reply to]

Hi,

--On Saturday, January 23, 2010 07:11:29 +0100 Jerome SCHEVINGT
<jerome [at] phibee> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want know if it's possible:
>
> * Specifie into the smtproute file more that one server ? if first
> are down, he use the second
> Or only use a DNS name with round robin

AFAIK, this is not possible.

> * Can i specify a server destination base on the email ? sample:
> test [at] mydomaine:192.168.10.100
> mydomaine.com:192.168.10.50
> Mail vers test are sent at the server 192.168.10.100 and other at
> 192.168.10.50

You can mimic this behaviour with my SMTP Authentication patch for qmail
(-rmote). Here, you define "authroutes" having precedence over standard
routes.
Typically. you would set up a userid/password. But you don't need to.

regards.
--eh.

> Thanks for your help
> Jerome
>

> --
> Jerome Schevingt
> Ingénieur Systèmes et Réseaux
> PHIBEE
> Tel: +33(0)426847860
> Mobile: +33(0)607759222
> Fax: +33(0)426847861
> Mail: jerome [at] phibee

Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de/

search-web-for-address at pyropus

Jan 23, 2010, 7:19 AM

Re: Smtproute : more one name/ip ? Email based ? [In reply to]

Jerome SCHEVINGT <jerome [at] phibee> wrote:

> I want know if it's possible:
>
> * Specifie into the smtproute file more that one server ? if first
> are down, he use the second
> Or only use a DNS name with round robin

You can only specify one destination per domain in smtproutes, but that
destination can be a DNS record which has multiple A records, in which case
qmail will be able to try multiple servers if the first one it tries is down.

> * Can i specify a server destination base on the email ? sample:
> test [at] mydomaine:192.168.10.100
> mydomaine.com:192.168.10.50

No, that's not supported.

Charles
Charles Cazabon
GPL'ed software available at: http://pyropus.ca/software/
Read http://pyropus.ca/personal/writings/12-steps-to-qmail-list-bliss.html

fines at macalester

Jan 23, 2010, 4:11 PM

Re: Smtproute : more one name/ip ? Email based ? [In reply to]

There is a patch called "moresmtproutes" that allows you to specify server
destination on a per e-mail address basis.

When we used it, we were migrating users between two mail systems.
Mid-migration, users who had been migrated needed their mail sent on to the
new mail server, while non-migrated users did not.

Here are my notes on it, with a link to the patch and a minor modification
to the patch to make it not be case sensitive.
http://www.apecity.com/qmail/moresmtproutes.txt

Ted