Mailing List Archive: Qmail: users

Re: qmail-send using wrong MX?

Qmail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

dave.list at pixelhammer

Jan 12, 2010, 11:11 AM

Re: qmail-send using wrong MX?

DAve wrote:
> I am baffled. I have two outbound smtp servers running netqmail. All
> they do is outbound smtp. They have simcontrol and
> netqmail-1.05-tls-smtpauth-20060105.patch installed.
>
> On only one of the servers I am seeing several attempts per hour to send
> messages to 212.7.160.13, which are rejected.
>
> When I see this happening and I dig the mx for the recipient domain I
> get the correct answer. I do not understand where qmail is getting this
> IP and why it is trying to send *some* messages there.
>
> I have restarted qmail-send and dnscache both with no change in the
> behavior. Nothing has been changed in the config in several weeks.
>
> Where do I even begin looking?
>
> DAve

Ummm, that Ip is listed as one of the servers in
/etc/dnscache/root/servers/@

What gives?

DAve

--
"Posterity, you will know how much it cost the present generation to
preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you

http://appleseedinfo.org

johnsonm at gmail

Jan 12, 2010, 12:02 PM

Re: qmail-send using wrong MX? [In reply to]

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 1:11 PM, DAve <dave.list [at] pixelhammer> wrote:
> DAve wrote:
>> I am baffled. I have two outbound smtp servers running netqmail. All
>> they do is outbound smtp. They have simcontrol and
>> netqmail-1.05-tls-smtpauth-20060105.patch installed.
>>
>> On only one of the servers I am seeing several attempts per hour to send
>> messages to 212.7.160.13, which are rejected.
>>
>> When I see this happening and I dig the mx for the recipient domain I
>> get the correct answer. I do not understand where qmail is getting this
>> IP and why it is trying to send *some* messages there.
>>
>> I have restarted qmail-send and dnscache both with no change in the
>> behavior. Nothing has been changed in the config in several weeks.
>>
>> Where do I even begin looking?
>>
>> DAve
>
> Ummm, that Ip is listed as one of the servers in
> /etc/dnscache/root/servers/@
>
> What gives?
>
> DAve

You're using the Open Root Server Network? I think 212.7.160.13 was
an ORSN root server. I say was, because it looks like ORSN is toast:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Root_Server_Network
https://lists.dns-oarc.net/pipermail/dns-operations/2008-October/003339.html

Check your dnsroots.global (probably /etc/dnsroots.global) , that's
where root/servers/@ comes from when dnscache is configured. I think
you need to get both updated, quick (check the second URL).

As to why your qmail instance is sending mail there:

[me [at] somebo]$ dig A cr.yp.to @212.7.160.13

; <<>> DiG 9.4.2-P2 <<>> A cr.yp.to @212.7.160.13
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;cr.yp.to. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
cr.yp.to. 0 IN A 212.7.160.13

;; Query time: 136 msec
;; SERVER: 212.7.160.13#53(212.7.160.13)
;; WHEN: Tue Jan 12 14:01:02 2010
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 42

Notice anything funny, there?

Qmail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded