Mailing List Archive: Qmail: users

Temporary email addresses

Qmail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

phil at pricom

Dec 10, 2009, 3:38 PM

Temporary email addresses

People,

I want a simple method of qmail accepting addresses (the addresses are
generated somewhere else) of the form:

phil-date [at] pricom

eg

phil-20091211 [at] pricom

(or something like it) - I have found existing solutions but they are
overkill for my needs.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: phil [at] pricom

hanche at math

Dec 10, 2009, 6:15 PM

Re: Temporary email addresses [In reply to]

+ Philip Rhoades <phil [at] pricom>:

> I want a simple method of qmail accepting addresses (the addresses are
> generated somewhere else) of the form:
>
> phil-date [at] pricom
>
> eg
>
> phil-20091211 [at] pricom
>
> (or something like it) - I have found existing solutions but they are
> overkill for my needs.
>
> Suggestions?

You don't say what you want the date for. Do you want the addresses to
expire, so that mail received after the given date will bounce?

If so, a simple way is to create ~phil/.qmail-default containing

|if test "$EXT" '>' `date +%Y%m%d`; then echo address expired; exit 100; fi

followed by delivery instructions for the successful case. You may, of
course, choose to replace the simple one-liner with a script checking
that $EXT really has the form of a date, etc.

I used something like this a long time ago, and then I used these
addresses for my usenet postings, thinking that any spam generated
for these addresses would sooner or later get stopped. It wasn't a
great success, and it ended up pissing off a friend when he tried to
respond to a usenet posting of mine a couple months after I had posted
it. But spam for these addresses, including garbled versions including
only the date, kept coming for years after I stopped doing this.

- Harald

phil at pricom

Dec 11, 2009, 7:13 AM

Re: Temporary email addresses [In reply to]

Harald,

On 2009-12-11 13:15, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> + Philip Rhoades<phil [at] pricom>:
>
>> I want a simple method of qmail accepting addresses (the addresses are
>> generated somewhere else) of the form:
>>
>> phil-date [at] pricom
>>
>> eg
>>
>> phil-20091211 [at] pricom
>>
>> (or something like it) - I have found existing solutions but they are
>> overkill for my needs.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>
> You don't say what you want the date for. Do you want the addresses to
> expire, so that mail received after the given date will bounce?

No - it is just an arbitrary string to make each address unique (I don't
expect to get more than one a day at the moment).

> If so, a simple way is to create ~phil/.qmail-default containing
>
> |if test "$EXT" '>' `date +%Y%m%d`; then echo address expired; exit 100; fi

Cool! - Greylite seems to be stopping these mails at the moment - will
need to look more closely . .

> followed by delivery instructions for the successful case. You may, of
> course, choose to replace the simple one-liner with a script checking
> that $EXT really has the form of a date, etc.
>
> I used something like this a long time ago, and then I used these
> addresses for my usenet postings, thinking that any spam generated
> for these addresses would sooner or later get stopped. It wasn't a
> great success, and it ended up pissing off a friend when he tried to
> respond to a usenet posting of mine a couple months after I had posted
> it. But spam for these addresses, including garbled versions including
> only the date, kept coming for years after I stopped doing this.

I have greylite and my own stuff to handle the spam which so far has
been working pretty well.

Thanks!

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: phil [at] pricom

kyle-qmail at memoryhole

Dec 11, 2009, 8:52 AM

Re: Temporary email addresses [In reply to]

Qmail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded