Mailing List Archive: Qmail: users

Qmail Errors "Connected to x.x.x.x but connection died. Possible duplicate!

Qmail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

eric at xmission

Nov 22, 2005, 9:50 PM

Qmail Errors "Connected to x.x.x.x but connection died. Possible duplicate!

I have a growing problem with the number of failed messages where qmail
posts a failure with Connected to x.x.x.x but connection died. Possible
duplicate!

After doing some initial investigation I've seen a few posts from people
with a similar issue, but haven't seen any responses to the question.

Does anyone have any idea why I would be getting these messages? Is there a
known fix? What can I do to investigate why the errors are occurring?

Thank you,

Eric

jms1 at jms1

Nov 22, 2005, 11:36 PM

Re: Qmail Errors "Connected to x.x.x.x but connection died. Possible duplicate! [In reply to]

On 2005-11-23, at 0050, Eric Langheinrich wrote:
> I have a growing problem with the number of failed messages where
> qmail
> posts a failure with Connected to x.x.x.x but connection died.
> Possible
> duplicate!
>
> After doing some initial investigation I've seen a few posts from
> people
> with a similar issue, but haven't seen any responses to the question.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why I would be getting these messages? Is
> there a
> known fix? What can I do to investigate why the errors are occurring?

the only times i've seen this are when i happened to be working on a
machine whose IP was ":deny" line in the server's tcpcontrol file
(usually /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb.) if such a machine connects to a service
handled by tcpserver, the socket will be accepted and then
immediately disconnected- resulting in the error message you are seeing.

you may wish to make sure your machine's IP address isn't listed in
any of the common blacklists, and/or the receiving server (if it's
always the same server) might have some other reason to refuse mail
from your IP address.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/ has a pretty good blacklist checker- top row
center on the page.

| John M. Simpson - KG4ZOW - Programmer At Large |
| http://www.jms1.net/ <jms1 [at] jms1> |
| Mac OS X proves that it's easier to make UNIX |
| pretty than it is to make Windows secure. |
Attachments: PGP.sig (0.18 KB)

frob-qmail at webcentral

Nov 23, 2005, 12:26 AM

Re: Qmail Errors "Connected to x.x.x.x but connection died. Possible duplicate! [In reply to]

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 02:36 -0500, John Simpson wrote:

> you may wish to make sure your machine's IP address isn't listed in
> any of the common blacklists, and/or the receiving server (if it's
> always the same server) might have some other reason to refuse mail
> from your IP address.

"Possible duplicate" indicates the connection died after the
client sent DATA, often a sign that the servers content filtering
is being maxed out. We've seen an unusual amount of these today
from hotmail.

Rick.

Qmail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded