Mailing List Archive: Qmail: users

Is there a way to control the delivery rate?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Qmail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mailinglists at net-virtual

Dec 16, 2004, 1:29 AM

Is there a way to control the delivery rate?

Hello,

I need to be able to control the rate that qmail delivers email to
certain addresses (I.E. I send emails with job listings to a mailing list
and sometimes their email server is unreachable - when it finally is
reachable again I send gobs of emails in a very short period of time and
would like to be able to do so at a slower rate).

If this is not possible with qmail, is there some other solution? I've
thought of several, but none of them seem very elegant to me....

Thanks!

- Greg

kitchen at scriptkitchen

Dec 16, 2004, 8:03 AM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

On Thursday 16 December 2004 03:29 am, Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to be able to control the rate that qmail delivers email to
> certain addresses (I.E. I send emails with job listings to a mailing list
> and sometimes their email server is unreachable - when it finally is
> reachable again I send gobs of emails in a very short period of time and
> would like to be able to do so at a slower rate).

qmail doesn't 'hammer' the remote server the instant it comes back up. In
fact, it backs off of down hosts, waiting at least an hour before it retries
if the connection times out.

If the remote server comes back up and qmail just happens to have some emails
in the queue that are scheduled to be delivered at or around the same time,
those will get tried at or around the same time, it doesn't try to find all
of the messages in the queue for that domain and deliver them.

> If this is not possible with qmail, is there some other solution?

well, it's not possible with a single qmail, however, you can set up multiple
instances of qmail, and smtproute mail for that domain into a queue that is
being processed with a lower concurrencyremote.

-Jeremy

jeremy [at] inter7 ++ www.inter7.com ++ 866.528.3530 ++ 815.776.9465 int'l
kitchen @ #qmail #gentoo on EFnet IRC ++ scriptkitchen.com/qmail
GnuPG Key ID: 481BF7E2 ++ jabber:kitchen [at] scriptkitchen

qmail at discworld

Dec 16, 2004, 8:18 AM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

Net Virtual Mailing Lists <mailinglists [at] net-virtual> wrote:

> I need to be able to control the rate that qmail delivers email to
> certain addresses (I.E. I send emails with job listings to a mailing list
> and sometimes their email server is unreachable - when it finally is
> reachable again I send gobs of emails in a very short period of time and
> would like to be able to do so at a slower rate).

You can control total remote concurrency, but not per-domain.

> If this is not possible with qmail, is there some other solution?

Typical suggestion is to deliver all mail for the domain to a maildir, and
then use serialmail's maildir2smtp to deliver it to the domain periodically,
which limits you to one connection to that domain at a time.

Charles

Dec 16, 2004, 1:41 PM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

Charles,

Thanks for your reply.... I just looked into serialmail and I don't think
it will work... I need to be able to explicitly set the delivery rate
(something like "1 message every 2 to 3 minutes").

... I was looking at maildirsmtp (I could not find maildir2smtp, so I
presume that is what you were referring to, right?).. Am I missing
something in serialmail?...

- Greg

>Net Virtual Mailing Lists <mailinglists [at] net-virtual> wrote:
>>
>> I need to be able to control the rate that qmail delivers email to
>> certain addresses (I.E. I send emails with job listings to a mailing list
>> and sometimes their email server is unreachable - when it finally is
>> reachable again I send gobs of emails in a very short period of time and
>> would like to be able to do so at a slower rate).
>
>You can control total remote concurrency, but not per-domain.
>
>> If this is not possible with qmail, is there some other solution?
>
>Typical suggestion is to deliver all mail for the domain to a maildir, and
>then use serialmail's maildir2smtp to deliver it to the domain periodically,
>which limits you to one connection to that domain at a time.
>
>Charles
>--

Dec 16, 2004, 1:41 PM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

The delivery rate I need to ensure is something like "1 message every 3
or 4 minutes", which is pretty easy for qmail to exceed.....

It is my understanding that all concurrencyremote does is control the
number of open connections to the server, but does not control the actual
delivery rate, am I missing something?

Thanks!

- Greg

>On Thursday 16 December 2004 03:29 am, Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need to be able to control the rate that qmail delivers email to
>> certain addresses (I.E. I send emails with job listings to a mailing list
>> and sometimes their email server is unreachable - when it finally is
>> reachable again I send gobs of emails in a very short period of time and
>> would like to be able to do so at a slower rate).
>
>qmail doesn't 'hammer' the remote server the instant it comes back up. In
>fact, it backs off of down hosts, waiting at least an hour before it retries
>if the connection times out.
>
>If the remote server comes back up and qmail just happens to have some
emails
>in the queue that are scheduled to be delivered at or around the same time,
>those will get tried at or around the same time, it doesn't try to find all
>of the messages in the queue for that domain and deliver them.
>
>> If this is not possible with qmail, is there some other solution?
>
>well, it's not possible with a single qmail, however, you can set up
multiple
>instances of qmail, and smtproute mail for that domain into a queue that is
>being processed with a lower concurrencyremote.
>
>-Jeremy
>
>--
>Jeremy Kitchen ++ Systems Administrator ++ Inter7 Internet Technologies, Inc.
> jeremy [at] inter7 ++ www.inter7.com ++ 866.528.3530 ++ 815.776.9465 int'l
> kitchen @ #qmail #gentoo on EFnet IRC ++ scriptkitchen.com/qmail
> GnuPG Key ID: 481BF7E2 ++ jabber:kitchen [at] scriptkitchen

clive at messagecare

Dec 16, 2004, 2:44 PM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:

>The delivery rate I need to ensure is something like "1 message every 3
>or 4 minutes", which is pretty easy for qmail to exceed.....

It sounds to me like you would want to deliver the messages to a local
holding mailbox (instead of the real recipient), then have a cron job
pick the first message up from that mailbox, inject it to the real
recipient, and delete it from the mailbox. If the cron job runs every 4
minutes, you will have your controlled rate.

Of course, this will involve some scripting, but it should be a simple
enough shell script. At simplest, if you're using maildirs, something
like this should do it (you will need to work out the details):

to=user [at] domai
file=`ls | head -1`
qmail-inject $to < $file && rm $file

If you're not using maildirs, you might do something a little more
involved using something like fetchmail.

Clive

qmail at discworld

Dec 16, 2004, 3:21 PM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

Net Virtual Mailing Lists <mailinglists [at] net-virtual> wrote:
> The delivery rate I need to ensure is something like "1 message every 3
> or 4 minutes", which is pretty easy for qmail to exceed.....

Oh, yes.

> It is my understanding that all concurrencyremote does is control the
> number of open connections to the server, but does not control the actual
> delivery rate, am I missing something?

No, you're not missing anything.

However, you never actually explained why qmail's default delivery mechanism
was unsatisfactory, or (above) why you want to limit deliveries to a given
domain to 0.25 or 0.33 msgs/minute (i.e., What Problem Are You Trying To
Solve? (tm) Russ Nelson). It's an extremely odd request, and completely at
odds with any efficient, automatic mail delivery system.

Perhaps if you explained why you want to do this, we could either suggest an
alternative method of solving the underlying problem or give other advice.

Charles

P.S. One cyncial suggestion for lowering your mail delivery rate to 0.25
msgs/minute would be to smarthost everything through an MS-Exchange or Lotus
Domino server :).
Charles Cazabon <qmail [at] discworld>
GPL'ed software available at: http://www.qcc.ca/~charlesc/software/
Read http://www.qcc.ca/~charlesc/writings/12-steps-to-qmail-list-bliss.html

clive at messagecare

Dec 16, 2004, 3:36 PM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

Clive Cleland wrote:

> Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:
>
>> The delivery rate I need to ensure is something like "1 message every 3
>> or 4 minutes", which is pretty easy for qmail to exceed.....

> qmail-inject $to < $file && rm $file

Ummm... That should probably be a direct SMTP connection, not a
qmail-inject - otherwise you just end up with the same problem if you
can't reach the host for a while. A little more involved, but still
fairly straightforward - maybe in perl?

Regardless, qmail is of little value in restricting the rate of delivery
to such an extent - most people want messages delivered quickly.

Clive

mailinglists at net-virtual

Dec 16, 2004, 4:17 PM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

The reason I need to do this is because we deliver messages to a Yahoo
group and if your delivery rate is "too high" they flag the email address
as being an auto responder and stop delivering messages. Frankly, I
think their solution to this problem is pretty dumb, but I doubt they are
going to change anything for my benefit... ;-) We also have a MSN group,
which employs a similar mechanism (although even more conservative).

Hope that clarifies!

- Greg

>Net Virtual Mailing Lists <mailinglists [at] net-virtual> wrote:
>> The delivery rate I need to ensure is something like "1 message every 3
>> or 4 minutes", which is pretty easy for qmail to exceed.....
>
>Oh, yes.
>
>> It is my understanding that all concurrencyremote does is control the
>> number of open connections to the server, but does not control the actual
>> delivery rate, am I missing something?
>
>No, you're not missing anything.
>
>However, you never actually explained why qmail's default delivery mechanism
>was unsatisfactory, or (above) why you want to limit deliveries to a given
>domain to 0.25 or 0.33 msgs/minute (i.e., What Problem Are You Trying To
>Solve? (tm) Russ Nelson). It's an extremely odd request, and completely at
>odds with any efficient, automatic mail delivery system.
>
>Perhaps if you explained why you want to do this, we could either suggest an
>alternative method of solving the underlying problem or give other advice.
>
>Charles
>
>P.S. One cyncial suggestion for lowering your mail delivery rate to 0.25
>msgs/minute would be to smarthost everything through an MS-Exchange or Lotus
>Domino server :).
>--

Dec 16, 2004, 4:20 PM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

Out of curiosity, can I call qmail-remote instead of qmail-inject in your
example?.... If so, I might just need to replace qmail-inject with
qmail-remote, because what I have right now is a spool directory where
all the messages are created in and picked up by a long running process
that keeps monitoring the directory and sending out emails using qmail-inject.

- Greg

>Clive Cleland wrote:
>
>> Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:
>>
>>> The delivery rate I need to ensure is something like "1 message every 3
>>> or 4 minutes", which is pretty easy for qmail to exceed.....

>> qmail-inject $to < $file && rm $file
>
>Ummm... That should probably be a direct SMTP connection, not a
>qmail-inject - otherwise you just end up with the same problem if you
>can't reach the host for a while. A little more involved, but still
>fairly straightforward - maybe in perl?
>
>Regardless, qmail is of little value in restricting the rate of delivery
>to such an extent - most people want messages delivered quickly.
>
>Clive

clive at messagecare

Dec 16, 2004, 4:55 PM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:

>Out of curiosity, can I call qmail-remote instead of qmail-inject in your
>example?.... If so, I might just need to replace qmail-inject with
>qmail-remote, because what I have right now is a spool directory where
>all the messages are created in and picked up by a long running process
>that keeps monitoring the directory and sending out emails using qmail-inject.

Looks like you can use qmail-remote - but you would need to parse the
output to determine successful delivery or failure. Read the
documentation for qmail-remote, and you should be cheering!

Please note that I haven't actually tried to do this, but hopefully it
can help solve your problem.

Clive

safari-qmail at safari

Dec 16, 2004, 5:03 PM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 04:17:19PM -0800, Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:
> The reason I need to do this is because we deliver messages to a Yahoo
> group and if your delivery rate is "too high" they flag the email address
> as being an auto responder and stop delivering messages. Frankly, I
> think their solution to this problem is pretty dumb, but I doubt they are
> going to change anything for my benefit... ;-) We also have a MSN group,
> which employs a similar mechanism (although even more conservative).

I don't know what kind of systems you're using back there,
but with Linux iptables/netfilter (connlimit or hashlimit module) you
can restrict number of established connections (or connections per
time unit) to e.g. yahoo's netblocks.
Two iptables commands and you're done.

Depending on how much mails you have to send out, some extra tuning
might be needed (queue reschedules, qmail-remote's TCP timeout
tables, different retry algorithm for desired netblocks
in qmail-remote.c,...).

--

xistence at x-istence

Dec 16, 2004, 5:27 PM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

On Dec 16, 2004, at 7:17 PM, Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:

> The reason I need to do this is because we deliver messages to a Yahoo
> group and if your delivery rate is "too high" they flag the email
> address
> as being an auto responder and stop delivering messages. Frankly, I
> think their solution to this problem is pretty dumb, but I doubt they
> are
> going to change anything for my benefit... ;-) We also have a MSN
> group,
> which employs a similar mechanism (although even more conservative).
>
> Hope that clarifies!
>
> - Greg

Please stop top-posting, see one of Charles's many emails explaining
how to disable it.

Is there any info about this problem at yahoo? Have you tried
contacting the yahoo postmaster for a solution? Domainkeys or something
you can implement so that it will not stop you from sending the mail to
it?

X-Istence

frob-qmail at webcentral

Dec 16, 2004, 5:56 PM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 10:17, Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:
> The reason I need to do this is because we deliver messages to a Yahoo
> group and if your delivery rate is "too high" they flag the email address
> as being an auto responder and stop delivering messages. Frankly, I
> think their solution to this problem is pretty dumb, but I doubt they are
> going to change anything for my benefit... ;-) We also have a MSN group,
> which employs a similar mechanism (although even more conservative).

Haven't noticed this with our servers, might have a closer look
at the logs. Agreed that it seems stupid.

One way to do this is to wrap qmail-remote with a rate limiter.
Move qmail-remote to qmail-remote.orig and install the script
below as qmail-remote. Create the directory control/lastdelivery
and set its ownership to qmailr. control/remoteratelimit contains
config info, colon separated domain name and minimum seconds
between deliveries. As a side effect, setting the seconds to zero
will serialize mail to the domain.

#!/usr/bin/perl

use Fcntl ':flock';

$domain = lc $ARGV[0];

if (open(FD, "</var/qmail/control/remoteratelimit")) {
%ratelimit = map { s/[\r\n]+//; (split(/:/))[0,1] } <FD>;
$^F = fileno(FD);
close(FD);
}

if (defined($ratelimit{$domain})) {
$file = "/var/qmail/control/lastdelivery/$domain";
$exists = -s $file;
if (open(FD, "+<$file") || open(FD, "+>$file")) {
if (!flock(FD, LOCK_EX|LOCK_NB)) {
print "ZUnable to acquire lock\0";
exit 0;
}
if ($exists && time < (stat(FD))[9] + $ratelimit{$domain}) {
print "ZRatelimit exceeded\0";
exit 0;
}
print FD scalar localtime;
}
}

exec "/var/qmail/bin/qmail-remote.orig", @ARGV;

Rick.

mailinglists at net-virtual

Dec 16, 2004, 5:57 PM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

What do you mean "top posting"?

There is no solution from yahoo - that is the way their system works.
Domainkeys, etc do not affect this aspect of their system.

- Greg

>On Dec 16, 2004, at 7:17 PM, Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:
>
>> The reason I need to do this is because we deliver messages to a Yahoo
>> group and if your delivery rate is "too high" they flag the email
>> address
>> as being an auto responder and stop delivering messages. Frankly, I
>> think their solution to this problem is pretty dumb, but I doubt they
>> are
>> going to change anything for my benefit... ;-) We also have a MSN
>> group,
>> which employs a similar mechanism (although even more conservative).
>>
>> Hope that clarifies!
>>
>> - Greg
>>

>Please stop top-posting, see one of Charles's many emails explaining
>how to disable it.
>
>Is there any info about this problem at yahoo? Have you tried
>contacting the yahoo postmaster for a solution? Domainkeys or something
>you can implement so that it will not stop you from sending the mail to
>it?
>
>X-Istence

mailinglists at net-virtual

Dec 16, 2004, 6:02 PM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

Richard,

Thank you very much! I hadn't thought about resolving this problem in
the way you suggested (replacing qmail-remote), I think this is a really
great solution -- thank you so much!

- Greg

lbudney at pobox

Dec 16, 2004, 7:44 PM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

Because it makes the conversation harder to follow.

Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:

> Well, what's wrong with it?
>
> Len wrote:
>>
>> It's when you write your reply above the original email.
>>
>> Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:
>>>
>>> What's top-posting?

xistence at x-istence

Dec 16, 2004, 7:51 PM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

On Dec 16, 2004, at 8:57 PM, Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:

> [...]

Your message was top-posted. Please configure your MUA to quote
correctly
before sending messages to mailing lists. If you don't know what this
means,
read this: http://www.faqs.org/docs/jargon/T/top-post.html

To learn what "quote correctly" means, read this:

If you are using MS MUA, these free add-on packages can apparently fix
their
quoting style for you: http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/

I've corrected your quoting for this reply, but will ignore further
top-posted
messages.

(Thanks Charles)

>> On Dec 16, 2004, at 7:17 PM, Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:
>>
>> Please stop top-posting, see one of Charles's many emails explaining
>> how to disable it.
>>
>> Is there any info about this problem at yahoo? Have you tried
>> contacting the yahoo postmaster for a solution? Domainkeys or
>> something
>> you can implement so that it will not stop you from sending the mail
>> it?
>>
>> X-Istence
>>
> What do you mean "top posting"?
>
> There is no solution from yahoo - that is the way their system works.
> Domainkeys, etc do not affect this aspect of their system.
>
> - Greg

That is top posting. Please read those instructions on how to fix your
quoting style. On a mailling list replies should come below the rest of
the content, that way we can find an answer or question based on the
content, and not have to scroll down and look for the relevant sections
in the message.

Also, trim your messages to just have the part that is needed in it, as
to save a few bytes of bandwidth.

X-Istence

mailinglists at net-virtual

Dec 16, 2004, 8:06 PM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

>Because it makes the conversation harder to follow.
>
>Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:
> >
> > Well, what's wrong with it?
> >
> > Len wrote:
> >>
> >> It's when you write your reply above the original email.

Are you putting words in my mouth?.. ;-) I did not write "Well, what's
wrong with it?"... Nor did I see any other messages to the list with
those words.... Hehehe...

In any event, for the 1 time every 3 or 4 years I post to this mailing
list, I will try to remember (albeit highly unlikely)...

- Greg

frob-qmail at webcentral

Dec 16, 2004, 8:31 PM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 12:02, Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:

> Thank you very much! I hadn't thought about resolving this problem in
> the way you suggested (replacing qmail-remote), I think this is a really

Note that because of the retry backoff algorithm, this may cause
substantial delays in delivery.

Rick.

qmail at discworld

Dec 17, 2004, 6:37 AM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

Net Virtual Mailing Lists <mailinglists [at] net-virtual> wrote:

> Are you putting words in my mouth?..

It was an effective demonstation of the problem.

> In any event, for the 1 time every 3 or 4 years I post to this mailing
> list, I will try to remember [to not top-post]

It's not just this mailing list. You should not top-post to any mailing list,
or indeed in any mail message. Just configure your MUA, once, to quote
correctly, and never again worry about it.

Charles
Charles Cazabon <qmail [at] discworld>
GPL'ed software available at: http://www.qcc.ca/~charlesc/software/
Read http://www.qcc.ca/~charlesc/writings/12-steps-to-qmail-list-bliss.html

kitchen at scriptkitchen

Dec 17, 2004, 9:38 AM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

On Thursday 16 December 2004 06:17 pm, Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:
> The reason I need to do this is because we deliver messages to a Yahoo
> group and if your delivery rate is "too high" they flag the email address
> as being an auto responder and stop delivering messages.

this is probably because their autoresponders are also broken and can easily
create mail loops, and confirm qsecretary notices, etc.

> Frankly, I think their solution to this problem is pretty dumb

yes, and so are their autoresponders. Just post to the ezmlm [at] list
list some time and you'll see what I mean.

> , but I doubt they are going to change anything for my benefit... ;-)

not just yours, the rest of the world.

What you *should* do is complain to yahoo about this. Even if you do
implement some sort of craziness to keep your messages from getting flagged,
you should also yell at them for doing it.

-Jeremy

jeremy [at] inter7 ++ www.inter7.com ++ 866.528.3530 ++ 815.776.9465 int'l
kitchen @ #qmail #gentoo on EFnet IRC ++ scriptkitchen.com/qmail
GnuPG Key ID: 481BF7E2 ++ jabber:kitchen [at] scriptkitchen

kitchen at scriptkitchen

Dec 17, 2004, 9:39 AM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

especially if there are off-list conversation pieces intermixed.

On Thursday 16 December 2004 09:44 pm, Leonard R. Budney wrote:
> Because it makes the conversation harder to follow.
>
> Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:
> > Well, what's wrong with it?
> >
> > Len wrote:
> >> It's when you write your reply above the original email.

-Jeremy

jeremy [at] inter7 ++ www.inter7.com ++ 866.528.3530 ++ 815.776.9465 int'l
kitchen @ #qmail #gentoo on EFnet IRC ++ scriptkitchen.com/qmail
GnuPG Key ID: 481BF7E2 ++ jabber:kitchen [at] scriptkitchen

kitchen at scriptkitchen

Dec 17, 2004, 9:40 AM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

On Thursday 16 December 2004 10:31 pm, Richard Lyons wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 12:02, Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:
> > Thank you very much! I hadn't thought about resolving this problem in
> > the way you suggested (replacing qmail-remote), I think this is a really
>
> Note that because of the retry backoff algorithm, this may cause
> substantial delays in delivery.

and given enough emails, might even cause bounces.

-Jeremy

jeremy [at] inter7 ++ www.inter7.com ++ 866.528.3530 ++ 815.776.9465 int'l
kitchen @ #qmail #gentoo on EFnet IRC ++ scriptkitchen.com/qmail
GnuPG Key ID: 481BF7E2 ++ jabber:kitchen [at] scriptkitchen

Dec 17, 2004, 3:01 PM

Re: Is there a way to control the delivery rate? [In reply to]

>On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 12:02, Net Virtual Mailing Lists wrote:
>
>> Thank you very much! I hadn't thought about resolving this problem in
>> the way you suggested (replacing qmail-remote), I think this is a really
>
>Note that because of the retry backoff algorithm, this may cause
>substantial delays in delivery.
>
>Rick.

I think I have a solution which would mitigate this somewhat... Install a
second qmail and instead of exiting (0) when the rate limit is exceeded,
just have it sleep until the rate limit is back within bounds. The
second qmail installation gets around the problem of having all qmail-
remotes in a sleep state and preventing "normal" email from getting
through the system.

- Greg