Has anyone any experience/dos/donts for this?

I am writing this while the update of the android sdk is happening and
its taking forever.
So just wondering if its worth the effort.

Any specific tips will of course be welcome but also the general idea
-- is android really python friendly (yet)?

Thanks

no.email at nospam

Re: python for android anyone? [In reply to]

rusi <rustompmody [at] gmail> writes:
> Ive been wanting to try the sl4a for a new android phone Ive got hold
> of as spelt out at
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10940
>
> Has anyone any experience/dos/donts for this?

One of my co-workers used it for something, and I've been looking into
it but haven't tried it yet.

One issue is there's not a real nice way to access the Android GUI stuff
for it, and there's no tkinter port. Some websearch indicated someone
was working on one, but right now there seems to be no code available.

The simplest way to write a GUI application with it seems to be use a
web browser control, with HTML layout and javascript actions. Yikes :)

rustompmody at gmail

Re: python for android anyone? [In reply to]

On May 28, 9:13 pm, Paul Rubin <no.em...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> rusi <rustompm...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Ive been wanting to try the sl4a for a new android phone Ive got hold
> > of as spelt out at
> >http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10940
>
> > Has anyone any experience/dos/donts for this?
>
> One of my co-workers used it for something, and I've been looking into
> it but haven't tried it yet.
>
> One issue is there's not a real nice way to access the Android GUI stuff
> for it, and there's no tkinter port.  Some websearch indicated someone
> was working on one, but right now there seems to be no code available.
>
> The simplest way to write a GUI application with it seems to be use a
> web browser control, with HTML layout and javascript actions.  Yikes :)

Ok thanks for the thumbs up (or down). Hitting Ctrl-C (after an 820M
download!)

lamialily at cleverpun

Re: python for android anyone? [In reply to]

On Mon, 28 May 2012 08:56:51 -0700 (PDT), rusi <rustompmody [at] gmail>
wrote:

>Ive been wanting to try the sl4a for a new android phone Ive got hold
>of as spelt out at
>http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10940
>
>Has anyone any experience/dos/donts for this?
>
>I am writing this while the update of the android sdk is happening and
>its taking forever.
>So just wondering if its worth the effort.
>
>Any specific tips will of course be welcome but also the general idea
>-- is android really python friendly (yet)?
>
>Thanks

I myself use it, though primarily for testing out concepts or blocks
of code I think up on the road (or a quick and dirty profile if I
think of two ways to do something and want to decide which is the
best).

I can't comment on its usefulness for app development, but looking
over the article, it looks like for any such development you'd still
be better off grabbing the Android SDK.

~Temia
--
When on earth, do as the earthlings do.

cousinstanley at gmail

Re: python for android anyone? [In reply to]

rusi wrote:

> Any specific tips will of course be welcome
< but also the general idea
> -- is android really python friendly (yet)?

You might take a look at Kivy ....

http://kivy.org/

"It is built with Cython ( C extensions for Python )
and, in order to create apps, Python knowledge
is required.

The platforms currently supported are Linux, Windows,
Mac OS X and Android."

The gallery is impressive ....

http://kivy.org/#gallery

I have very limited experience with Kivy
using Debian Linux as the development platform
and installing a couple of simple demo apps
on an ArchOS tablet running Android ICS ....

Back at the first of this month I had problems
trying to build android packages using
the newest versions of the android sdk / ndk packages
on Debian ....

Advice at the time was to drop back a version and try again
or wait for kivy versioning to catch up a bit ....

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being