Mailing List Archive: Python: Python

Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Python python RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

roy at panix

Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform?

What's the smallest/cheapest/lowest-power hardware platform I can run
Python on today? I'm looking for something to use as a hardware
controller in a battery-powered device and want to avoid writing in C
for this project.

Performance requirements are minimal. I need to monitor a few switches,
control a couple of LEDs and relays, and keep time over about a 30
minute period to 1/10th second accuracy. Nice-to-have (but not
essential) would be a speech synthesizer with a vocabulary of maybe 50
words.

The Rasberry Pi certainly looks attractive, but isn't quite available
today. Can you run Python on an Arduino? Things like
http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7250 are
more than I need, and the $129 price probably busts my budget.

rridge at csclub

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

Roy Smith <roy [at] panix> wrote:
>What's the smallest/cheapest/lowest-power hardware platform I can run
>Python on today?

Not counting the Rasberry Pi, then probably a wireless router or one of
those cheap media streaming boxes running custom firmware.

>Performance requirements are minimal. I need to monitor a few switches,
>control a couple of LEDs and relays, and keep time over about a 30
>minute period to 1/10th second accuracy. Nice-to-have (but not
>essential) would be a speech synthesizer with a vocabulary of maybe 50
>words.

Unfortunately I don't think any of these devices would have the GPIO
pins you'd want for such a project.

>The Rasberry Pi certainly looks attractive, but isn't quite available
>today. Can you run Python on an Arduino? Things like
>http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7250 are
>more than I need, and the $129 price probably busts my budget.

The Arduino uses an 8-bit micro-controller, so probably not. (The ARM
emulator based port of Linux probably doesn't meet your performance
requirements.)

I think you may need to either wait for the Rasberry Pi to become
generally available or increase your budget. You should also consider
whether any of these devices have Python bindings to interface with
their GPIO pins. If not you'll probably have to end up writing some C
code anyways.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge [at] csclub

tinnews at isbd

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

Roy Smith <roy [at] panix> wrote:
> What's the smallest/cheapest/lowest-power hardware platform I can run
> Python on today? I'm looking for something to use as a hardware
> controller in a battery-powered device and want to avoid writing in C
> for this project.
>
> Performance requirements are minimal. I need to monitor a few switches,
> control a couple of LEDs and relays, and keep time over about a 30
> minute period to 1/10th second accuracy. Nice-to-have (but not
> essential) would be a speech synthesizer with a vocabulary of maybe 50
> words.
>
> The Rasberry Pi certainly looks attractive, but isn't quite available
> today. Can you run Python on an Arduino? Things like
> http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7250 are
> more than I need, and the $129 price probably busts my budget.

Rasberry Pi is available, some have arrived, mine will arrive on
Monday or Tuesday (I'm talking about UK here).

I think getting python to run on an arduino device would be quite a
lot of effort even if it's possible. You might want to avoid C but
the 'sort of C' on the Arduino is very simple indeed, hardly more
difficult than Python.

--
Chris Green

no.email at nospam

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

Roy Smith <roy [at] panix> writes:
> The Rasberry Pi certainly looks attractive, but isn't quite available
> today. Can you run Python on an Arduino?

No. YOu want a 32-bit platform with an OS and perhaps 1 meg of memory.
And by the time you port Python to it unless it's there already, you may
as well have just written your application in C.

If you want something even cheaper than an Arduino, look at the TI
Launchpad. But you can't program that in Python either. There is
a standalone interactive Forth for it, if that's of any interest:
http://www.somersetweb.com/4E4th/EN.html

There are some fairly cheap ARM boards around that could run Python, but
they will be battery hungry compared to a Launchpad or Arduino, and
again, may not be worth the porting hassle if there's not an
already-done Python port.

Lua might be another scripting language of interest (www.lua.org). Sort
of the same idea as Python, not quite as nice, but smaller and easier to
embed. I think it wants around 50-100k of ram, still way out of the
Arduino range.

duane.kaufman at gmail

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

On Saturday, May 26, 2012 10:34:19 AM UTC-5, Roy Smith wrote:
> What's the smallest/cheapest/lowest-power hardware platform I can run
> Python on today? I'm looking for something to use as a hardware
> controller in a battery-powered device and want to avoid writing in C
> for this project.
>
> Performance requirements are minimal. I need to monitor a few switches,
> control a couple of LEDs and relays, and keep time over about a 30
> minute period to 1/10th second accuracy. Nice-to-have (but not
> essential) would be a speech synthesizer with a vocabulary of maybe 50
> words.

You might take a look at the work being done by Dean Hall (with others) on the python-on-a-chip project:
http://code.google.com/p/python-on-a-chip/

Many platforms have been ported to, including Arduino Mega, RedBee EconoTAG, Teensy++ 2.0, Microchip PIC24/dsPIC, among others

This route may be more work than others, but considering budget may be attractive.

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

In article <8ic799-gk3.ln1 [at] chris>, tinnews [at] isbd wrote:

> Rasberry Pi is available, some have arrived, mine will arrive on
> Monday or Tuesday (I'm talking about UK here).

Interesting. Newark is claiming they'll have 1 piece on June 18th, and
no further stock until October.

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=83T1943

nobody at nowhere

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

On Sat, 26 May 2012 11:34:19 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

> The Rasberry Pi certainly looks attractive, but isn't quite available
> today. Can you run Python on an Arduino? Things like
> http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7250 are
> more than I need, and the $129 price probably busts my budget.

You can't run Python on an Arduino. There are a number of boards
with ARM or PIC32 processors which can use Arduino daughter-boards
(shields), but all of the ones which I've seen have rather limited
RAM.

no.email at nospam

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

tinnews [at] isbd writes:
> Rasberry Pi is available, some have arrived, mine will arrive on
> Monday or Tuesday (I'm talking about UK here).

Early orders have been filled, more are being filled, but there is a
huge backlong and therefore a long wait if you waited til now to order.
If you want one right away, at least as of a week or so ago they were
going for $200-ish on ebay.

The Raspberry Pi is not really appropriate for a low powered portable
application anyway, because of relatively high power requirements
compared to an 8 bitter without all that media playback stuff.

The Beaglebone (www.beagleboard.org) is slightly higher end than the RPi
and runs Python nicely, though it faces the same issues.

I think a microcontroller (AVR, MSP430 etc) is a better fit for the OP's
application than anything big enough to run Python. If C is really
intolerable I know there are some micros that can be programmed in
BASIC.

rosuav at gmail

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 5:22 AM, Paul Rubin <no.email [at] nospam> wrote:
> If C is really intolerable I know there are some micros that can be
> programmed in BASIC.

Ugh. Of those, I would strongly recommend going with C.

ChrisA

roy at panix

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

In article <7x1um6928y.fsf [at] ruckus>,
Paul Rubin <no.email [at] nospam> wrote:

> The Raspberry Pi is not really appropriate for a low powered portable
> application anyway, because of relatively high power requirements
> compared to an 8 bitter without all that media playback stuff.

It sounds like I can run one on 300mA @ 5V. For my application, I'll
have about 10 A-h available at 12V (motorcycle battery). Assuming
(mumble, cough, cough) 75% down-conversion efficiency, 120 W-h @ 12V
gets me 90 W-h @ 5V, which is 18 A-h, or 60 hours of operation. Of
course, I've got to run some other stuff too, but I don't think the
Raspberry Pi is going to blow my power budget.

In any case, the dirt-cheap price makes it really attractive. With what
I save on silicon, I can afford to buy more lead :-)

solipsis at pitrou

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

Roy Smith <roy <at> panix.com> writes:

> What's the smallest/cheapest/lowest-power hardware platform I can run
> Python on today? I'm looking for something to use as a hardware
> controller in a battery-powered device and want to avoid writing in C
> for this project.

It depends *which* Python. Complete Python implementations (CPython, PyPy,
IronPython, Jython) will have stronger requirements than minimal / incomplete
implementations.

As for CPython, it needs a C compiler, decent POSIX support, a 32-bit CPU at
least, and realistically you won't do much with at least 8 MB RAM.

We actually have a buildbot which regularly tests building and running of
CPython on an ARM machine:
http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/all/buildslaves/warsaw-ubuntu-arm

It's a Cortex A8 with 1GB RAM, though, so I don't know if it's in your range
(but 1GB is not needed at all, except that it's nice when running the full
regression test suite).

Regards

Antoine.

no.email at nospam

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

Roy Smith <roy [at] panix> writes:
> It sounds like I can run one on 300mA @ 5V. For my application, I'll
> have about 10 A-h available at 12V (motorcycle battery).

OK, the RPi should be fine power-wise in that case, though I wouldn't
consider something with a 10AH motorcycle battery to be very portable.

> which is 18 A-h, or 60 hours of operation.

The Launchpad can run 60+ hours on a watch battery, if the on-board
LED's are not lit. The LED's use much more power than the processor.

> In any case, the dirt-cheap price makes it really attractive. With what
> I save on silicon, I can afford to buy more lead :-)

The RPi is an awesome value for such a powerful board, but the Launchpad
(while much less powerful) is far cheaper:

http://e2e.ti.com/group/msp430launchpad/w/default.aspx

darcy at druid

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

On 12-05-26 05:32 PM, Paul Rubin wrote:
> Roy Smith<roy [at] panix> writes:
>> It sounds like I can run one on 300mA @ 5V. For my application, I'll
>> have about 10 A-h available at 12V (motorcycle battery).
>
> OK, the RPi should be fine power-wise in that case, though I wouldn't
> consider something with a 10AH motorcycle battery to be very portable.

Unless the application involves mounting it on a motorcycle. As a biker
I am now officially curious, what's the application?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy [at] druid> | Democracy is three wolves
IM: darcy [at] Vex

rtomek at ceti

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

On Sat, 26 May 2012, Roy Smith wrote:

> What's the smallest/cheapest/lowest-power hardware platform I can run
> Python on today? I'm looking for something to use as a hardware
> controller in a battery-powered device and want to avoid writing in C
> for this project.
>
> Performance requirements are minimal. I need to monitor a few switches,
> control a couple of LEDs and relays, and keep time over about a 30
> minute period to 1/10th second accuracy. Nice-to-have (but not
> essential) would be a speech synthesizer with a vocabulary of maybe 50
> words.
>
> The Rasberry Pi certainly looks attractive, but isn't quite available
> today. Can you run Python on an Arduino? Things like
> http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7250 are
> more than I need, and the $129 price probably busts my budget.

If you are on tight budget and depend so much on Python, I'm afraid you
should either:

a. grow your budget

b. try another language

For what I know, I wouldn't touch Arduino unless I really had to. The
reason for this, I have been spoiled by machines, of which the smallest I
wanted to touch had 3mb of ram. Arduinos, with their ram in kilobytes at
best, don't qualify as interesting from my point of view.

Also, I don't think they are so much attractive price-wise. I would rather
buy myself a Beagle Bone, like this one:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/513

http://beagleboard.org/bone

However, if all that you want is flip some leds, this is huge overkill.

For led flipping, Arduino sounds ok, just not with Python-as-we-like-it.
Maybe some pseudoPython can be had on it. Myself, I would rather go with
one of Arduino's supported languages or assembly. Or Forth. If you land
among embedded systems, it's better to speak embeddish or you will feel
uncomfortable.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola

--
** A C programmer asked whether computer had Buddha's nature. **
** As the answer, master did "rm -rif" on the programmer's home **

highpointe3i at gmail

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

Here is my SS: 259 71 2451

On May 26, 2012, at 9:22 AM, tinnews [at] isbd wrote:

> Roy Smith <roy [at] panix> wrote:
>> What's the smallest/cheapest/lowest-power hardware platform I can run
>> Python on today? I'm looking for something to use as a hardware
>> controller in a battery-powered device and want to avoid writing in C
>> for this project.
>>
>> Performance requirements are minimal. I need to monitor a few switches,
>> control a couple of LEDs and relays, and keep time over about a 30
>> minute period to 1/10th second accuracy. Nice-to-have (but not
>> essential) would be a speech synthesizer with a vocabulary of maybe 50
>> words.
>>
>> The Rasberry Pi certainly looks attractive, but isn't quite available
>> today. Can you run Python on an Arduino? Things like
>> http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7250 are
>> more than I need, and the $129 price probably busts my budget.
>
> Rasberry Pi is available, some have arrived, mine will arrive on
> Monday or Tuesday (I'm talking about UK here).
>
> I think getting python to run on an arduino device would be quite a
> lot of effort even if it's possible. You might want to avoid C but
> the 'sort of C' on the Arduino is very simple indeed, hardly more
> difficult than Python.
>

> --
> Chris Green

highpointe3i at gmail

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

Here is my SS: 259 71 2451

On May 26, 2012, at 9:20 AM, Ross Ridge <rridge [at] csclub> wrote:

> Roy Smith <roy [at] panix> wrote:
>> What's the smallest/cheapest/lowest-power hardware platform I can run
>> Python on today?
>
> Not counting the Rasberry Pi, then probably a wireless router or one of
> those cheap media streaming boxes running custom firmware.
>
>> Performance requirements are minimal. I need to monitor a few switches,
>> control a couple of LEDs and relays, and keep time over about a 30
>> minute period to 1/10th second accuracy. Nice-to-have (but not
>> essential) would be a speech synthesizer with a vocabulary of maybe 50
>> words.
>
> Unfortunately I don't think any of these devices would have the GPIO
> pins you'd want for such a project.
>
>> The Rasberry Pi certainly looks attractive, but isn't quite available
>> today. Can you run Python on an Arduino? Things like
>> http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7250 are
>> more than I need, and the $129 price probably busts my budget.
>
> The Arduino uses an 8-bit micro-controller, so probably not. (The ARM
> emulator based port of Linux probably doesn't meet your performance
> requirements.)
>
> I think you may need to either wait for the Rasberry Pi to become
> generally available or increase your budget. You should also consider
> whether any of these devices have Python bindings to interface with
> their GPIO pins. If not you'll probably have to end up writing some C
> code anyways.
>
> Ross Ridge
>
> --
> l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
> [oo][oo] rridge [at] csclub
> -()-/()/ http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rridge/
> db //

highpointe3i at gmail

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

Here is my SS: 259 71 2451

On May 26, 2012, at 9:25 AM, Paul Rubin <no.email [at] nospam> wrote:

> Roy Smith <roy [at] panix> writes:
>> The Rasberry Pi certainly looks attractive, but isn't quite available
>> today. Can you run Python on an Arduino?
>
> No. YOu want a 32-bit platform with an OS and perhaps 1 meg of memory.
> And by the time you port Python to it unless it's there already, you may
> as well have just written your application in C.
>
> If you want something even cheaper than an Arduino, look at the TI
> Launchpad. But you can't program that in Python either. There is
> a standalone interactive Forth for it, if that's of any interest:
> http://www.somersetweb.com/4E4th/EN.html
>
> There are some fairly cheap ARM boards around that could run Python, but
> they will be battery hungry compared to a Launchpad or Arduino, and
> again, may not be worth the porting hassle if there's not an
> already-done Python port.
>
> Lua might be another scripting language of interest (www.lua.org). Sort
> of the same idea as Python, not quite as nice, but smaller and easier to
> embed. I think it wants around 50-100k of ram, still way out of the
> Arduino range.

highpointe3i at gmail

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

Here is my SS: 259 71 2451

On May 26, 2012, at 8:34 AM, Roy Smith <roy [at] panix> wrote:

> What's the smallest/cheapest/lowest-power hardware platform I can run
> Python on today? I'm looking for something to use as a hardware
> controller in a battery-powered device and want to avoid writing in C
> for this project.
>
> Performance requirements are minimal. I need to monitor a few switches,
> control a couple of LEDs and relays, and keep time over about a 30
> minute period to 1/10th second accuracy. Nice-to-have (but not
> essential) would be a speech synthesizer with a vocabulary of maybe 50
> words.
>
> The Rasberry Pi certainly looks attractive, but isn't quite available
> today. Can you run Python on an Arduino? Things like
> http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7250 are
> more than I need, and the $129 price probably busts my budget.

cjw at ncf

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

On 26/05/2012 12:25 PM, Paul Rubin wrote:
> Roy Smith<roy [at] panix> writes:
>> The Rasberry Pi certainly looks attractive, but isn't quite available
>> today. Can you run Python on an Arduino?
>
> No. YOu want a 32-bit platform with an OS and perhaps 1 meg of memory.
> And by the time you port Python to it unless it's there already, you may
> as well have just written your application in C.

Python is available and included with the Debian distribution for the
RPi. 32 bit and smaller operations are provided. Floating point is by
software. A FPU is available for the AIM processor, but not provided
with the BRCM 2835 board.

Colin W.

[snip]

gelonida at gmail

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

On 05/27/2012 05:37 PM, Colin J. Williams wrote:
> On 26/05/2012 12:25 PM, Paul Rubin wrote:
>> Roy Smith<roy [at] panix> writes:
>>> The Rasberry Pi certainly looks attractive, but isn't quite available
>>> today. Can you run Python on an Arduino?
>>
>> No. YOu want a 32-bit platform with an OS and perhaps 1 meg of memory.
>> And by the time you port Python to it unless it's there already, you may
>> as well have just written your application in C.
>
> Python is available and included with the Debian distribution for the
> RPi. 32 bit and smaller operations are provided. Floating point is by
> software. A FPU is available for the AIM processor, but not provided
> with the BRCM 2835 board.

DO you know which python version.Is it a pyton with or without ctypes.

Without ctypes one will have rather limited access to anything board
specific?

garabik-news-2005-05 at kassiopeia

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

Tomasz Rola <rtomek [at] ceti> wrote:

> If you are on tight budget and depend so much on Python, I'm afraid you
> should either:
>
> a. grow your budget
>
> b. try another language

such as PyMite...

benbaral at gmail

Jun 2, 2012, 1:47 PM

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

There is a 3rd party programmer for the LaunchPad
that lets you program it in Python, but I forgot what
they were called. It has an m somewhere in it and it's
3 letters. I saw it at MakerFaire. I got their card, but
lost it. If I remember the name, I'll post it here.

python at mrabarnett

Jun 2, 2012, 2:18 PM

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

On 02/06/2012 21:47, boj wrote:
> There is a 3rd party programmer for the LaunchPad
> that lets you program it in Python, but I forgot what
> they were called. It has an m somewhere in it and it's
> 3 letters. I saw it at MakerFaire. I got their card, but
> lost it. If I remember the name, I'll post it here.

Putting "LaunchPad", "Python" and "MakerFaire" into Google, plus the
"It has an m somewhere in it and it's 3 letters", quickly led me to:

http://www.mpyprojects.com

rosuav at gmail

Jun 2, 2012, 2:25 PM

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 7:18 AM, MRAB <python [at] mrabarnett> wrote:
> Putting "LaunchPad", "Python" and "MakerFaire" into Google, plus the
> "It has an m somewhere in it and it's 3 letters", quickly led me to:
>
> http://www.mpyprojects.com
> --

Heh, Google's awesome :) I was just thinking "Hm, three letters with
an M? That gives you about two thousand possibilities, not too many to
brute-force..."

That looks rather cool, but I'm minorly concerned by a heading in
http://www.mpyprojects.com/mpy-language/ that hints that the mpy
language isn't Python exactly, but doesn't have a link to the actual
page on which the differences are detailed. It might be trivial
differences like the lack of most of the standard library, but then
again, it might be more than that.

ChrisA

python at mrabarnett

Jun 2, 2012, 3:09 PM

Re: Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform? [In reply to]

On 02/06/2012 22:25, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 7:18 AM, MRAB<python [at] mrabarnett> wrote:
>> Putting "LaunchPad", "Python" and "MakerFaire" into Google, plus the
>> "It has an m somewhere in it and it's 3 letters", quickly led me to:
>>
>> http://www.mpyprojects.com
>> --
>
> Heh, Google's awesome :) I was just thinking "Hm, three letters with
> an M? That gives you about two thousand possibilities, not too many to
> brute-force..."

Well, if it's something to do with Python, there wouldn't been a good
chance that 2 of the letters would be "Py". That reduces the number of
possibilities somewhat! :-)

> That looks rather cool, but I'm minorly concerned by a heading in
> http://www.mpyprojects.com/mpy-language/ that hints that the mpy
> language isn't Python exactly, but doesn't have a link to the actual
> page on which the differences are detailed. It might be trivial
> differences like the lack of most of the standard library, but then
> again, it might be more than that.

Look at the "Software" page:

"""We use the mpy language to program the MSP430 microcontroller. MPY is
short for Microcontroller PYthon. mpy is based on the Python computer
language. In fact to keep things simple it is only a small subset of the
Python language."""