Mailing List Archive: Python: Python

John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words

xahlee at gmail

John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words

John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words

http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2012/04/26/functional-programming-in-c/

where was he ten years ago?

O, and btw, i heard that Common Lispers don't do functional
programing, is that right?

Fuck Common Lispers. Yeah, fuck them. One bunch of Fuckfaces. (and
Fuck Pythoners. Python fucking idiots.)

O, don't forget,

〈Programing: What are OOP's Jargons and Complexities (Object Oriented
Program as Functional Program)〉
http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/t2/oop.html

please you peruse of it.

your servant, humbly

Xah

miguel.a.guedes at gmail

Re: John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words [In reply to]

On 27/04/12 03:11, Xah Lee wrote:
> John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words
>
> http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2012/04/26/functional-programming-in-c/
>
> where was he ten years ago?
>
> O, and btw, i heard that Common Lispers don't do functional
> programing, is that right?
>
> Fuck Common Lispers. Yeah, fuck them. One bunch of Fuckfaces. (and
> Fuck Pythoners. Python fucking idiots.)
>
> O, don't forget,
>
> 〈Programing: What are OOP's Jargons and Complexities (Object Oriented
> Program as Functional Program)〉
> http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/t2/oop.html
>
> please you peruse of it.

I'm not a 'Common Lisper' or a 'Pythoner' so I'm not directly or
personally affected by your retarded and offensive comment. However, who
the fuck do you think you are to post stuff of this nature? (I believe)
I'll understand if you've got some sort of psychological issue affecting
your behaviour.

jaialai.technology at gmail

Re: John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words [In reply to]

> I'm not a 'Common Lisper' or a 'Pythoner' so I'm not directly or
> personally affected by your retarded and offensive comment. However, who
> the fuck do you think you are to post stuff of this nature? (I believe)
> I'll understand if you've got some sort of psychological issue affecting
> your behaviour.
OP lives out of his car and his main source of income seems to be ad
revenue from his website.
He may be nuts be he is pretty smart and some of the articles he has up
there are worth reading. Still, he has to promote it in some way and by
constantly posting these sorts of things he brings people to his site.
I'm honestly impressed he can survive this way so I am willing to
ignore or maybe killfile his postings and leave him be.

tfb at tfeb

Re: John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words [In reply to]

On 2012-05-02 14:44:36 +0000, jaialai.technology [at] gmail said:

> He may be nuts

But he's right: programmers are pretty much fuckwits[*]: if you think
that's not true you are not old enough.

[*] including me, especially.

rtomek at ceti

Re: John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words [In reply to]

On Wed, 2 May 2012, jaialai.technology [at] gmail wrote:

> > I'm not a 'Common Lisper' or a 'Pythoner' so I'm not directly or
> > personally affected by your retarded and offensive comment. However, who
> > the fuck do you think you are to post stuff of this nature? (I believe)
> > I'll understand if you've got some sort of psychological issue affecting
> > your behaviour.
> OP lives out of his car and his main source of income seems to be ad
> revenue from his website.
> He may be nuts be he is pretty smart and some of the articles he has up
> there are worth reading. Still, he has to promote it in some way and by
> constantly posting these sorts of things he brings people to his site.
> I'm honestly impressed he can survive this way so I am willing to
> ignore or maybe killfile his postings and leave him be.

He may be smart but obviously hasn't figured out this yet: positive aura
drives more people and more permamently towards you. Perhaps he should
develop an alter ego that could stand side by side with Dalai Lama and see
which one gets more attention.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola

--
** A C programmer asked whether computer had Buddha's nature. **
** As the answer, master did "rm -rif" on the programmer's home **

tim.wintle at teamrubber

Re: John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words [In reply to]

On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 17:31 +0200, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> positive aura drives more people and more permamently towards you. Perhaps he should
> develop an alter ego that could stand side by side with Dalai Lama and see
> which one gets more attention.

Really?

<http://www.google.com/trends/?q=bin+laden,dalai
+lama&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0>

If all you want is attention then "being nice" doesn't seem to be the
best option.

(of course if you want any respect...)

rosuav at gmail

Re: John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words [In reply to]

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:31 AM, Tomasz Rola <rtomek [at] ceti> wrote:
> He may be smart but obviously hasn't figured out this yet: positive aura
> drives more people and more permamently towards you.

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but who wants to catch flies?

I don't see much value in Xah Lee's posts, myself; if he wants to use
LISP and hate Python then he's free to, but why ramble about it on
this list?

ChrisA

rtomek at ceti

Re: John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words [In reply to]

On Wed, 2 May 2012, Tim Wintle wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 17:31 +0200, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> > positive aura drives more people and more permamently towards you. Perhaps he should
> > develop an alter ego that could stand side by side with Dalai Lama and see
> > which one gets more attention.
>
> Really?
>
> <http://www.google.com/trends/?q=bin+laden,dalai
> +lama&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0>
>
> If all you want is attention then "being nice" doesn't seem to be the
> best option.
>
> (of course if you want any respect...)

Okay, I should have given the idea a second thought. OTOH, see for
yourself:

http://www.google.com/trends/?q=xah+lee,dalai+lama&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

Esp. "xah lee does not have enough search volume for ranking"...

For me, the conclusion is simple. If he wants to achieve anything, he
should mimic Dalai Lama first and only after becoming comparable to the
guy, if he's still dissatisfied, only then he should follow OBL. But by
all means he should stop being himself. If becoming DL-like is too hard (I
believe it is), he might find something even easier, like Miyamoto
Musashi, a sword/Zen master.

http://www.google.com/trends/?q=miyamoto+musashi,+dalai+lama&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

Regards,
Tomasz Rola

--
** A C programmer asked whether computer had Buddha's nature. **
** As the answer, master did "rm -rif" on the programmer's home **
** directory. And then the C programmer became enlightened... **
** **
** Tomasz Rola mailto:tomasz_rola [at] bigfoot **

lamialily at cleverpun

Re: John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words [In reply to]

>On 27/04/12 03:11, Xah Lee wrote:
>> John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words
>>
>> http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2012/04/26/functional-programming-in-c/
>>
>> where was he ten years ago?
>>
>> O, and btw, i heard that Common Lispers don't do functional
>> programing, is that right?
>>
>> Fuck Common Lispers. Yeah, fuck them. One bunch of Fuckfaces. (and
>> Fuck Pythoners. Python fucking idiots.)
>>
>> O, don't forget,
>>
>> 〈Programing: What are OOP's Jargons and Complexities (Object Oriented
>> Program as Functional Program)〉
>> http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/t2/oop.html
>>
>> please you peruse of it.
>
>I'm not a 'Common Lisper' or a 'Pythoner' so I'm not directly or
>personally affected by your retarded and offensive comment. However, who
>the fuck do you think you are to post stuff of this nature? (I believe)
>I'll understand if you've got some sort of psychological issue affecting
>your behaviour.

And another one gets trolled.

~Temia
--
When on earth, do as the earthlings do.

rtomek at ceti

Re: John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words [In reply to]

On Thu, 3 May 2012, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:31 AM, Tomasz Rola <rtomek [at] ceti> wrote:
> > He may be smart but obviously hasn't figured out this yet: positive aura
> > drives more people and more permamently towards you.
>
> You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but who wants to
> catch flies?

Nah. Who invents such distorted examples only to prove himself right :-).

I think you can catch more girls with honey and I'm not sure if I'd like
to catch those who prefer vinegar. I think we can make it into some kind
of law, say Angelico-Rola Law (of girlscatching), ok?

"One cannot catch a girl on honey without catching some flies in the
process."

Or is it a hypothesis?

> I don't see much value in Xah Lee's posts, myself; if he wants to use
> LISP and hate Python then he's free to, but why ramble about it on
> this list?

Well, it is strange because about half of his every post are filled up
with f and sh words. Even I feel a bit dirty after reading them (and I
swear without giving it much of second thought). Myself, I think I
shouldn't try too hard to understand his motives - because one can easily
become what one understands. Especially that he doesn't seem to be
interested in getting feedback, so chances are there is some force of
chaos behind all this. Or his feelings have been hurt by
Lisp/Python/Emacs/Perl community (but I couldn't care less, really).

Either way, I greet Xah for taking my mind off a subject of writing some
piece of code that should have been written a while ago :-).

Regards,
Tomasz Rola

--
** A C programmer asked whether computer had Buddha's nature. **
** As the answer, master did "rm -rif" on the programmer's home **
** directory. And then the C programmer became enlightened... **
** **
** Tomasz Rola mailto:tomasz_rola [at] bigfoot **

torriem at gmail

Re: John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words [In reply to]

On 05/02/2012 09:31 AM, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2012, jaialai.technology [at] gmail wrote:
>> OP lives out of his car and his main source of income seems to be ad
>> revenue from his website.

I'm always curious about this sort of thing. Do you know this for a
fact, jaialai.technology?

>> He may be nuts be he is pretty smart and some of the articles he has up
>> there are worth reading. Still, he has to promote it in some way and by
>> constantly posting these sorts of things he brings people to his site.
>> I'm honestly impressed he can survive this way so I am willing to
>> ignore or maybe killfile his postings and leave him be.
>
> He may be smart but obviously hasn't figured out this yet: positive aura
> drives more people and more permamently towards you. Perhaps he should
> develop an alter ego that could stand side by side with Dalai Lama and see
> which one gets more attention.

He appears to have some degree of the Aspergers/autism spectrum
disorder. He quite literally cannot understand how people see him and
why other people don't recognize his genius (both real and imagined).
At least this is one possibility.

Others who have crossed this list appear to have aspergers or autism
too, such as Ranting Rick. He pops up occasionally, posts quite
normally and even helpfully, and then lapses back into periods of
ranting about how he can fix python and we all should be doing
something. He refuses to write code to put his ideas into practice, and
berates the list readers for being lazy and unwilling to code this
ideas. Then eventually he disappears for months even years at a time
before resurfacing. I've always been curious to know more about Rick.
Where does he work? How does he live, and what does he do outside of
the python list (he appears to only use his e-mail address on this list).

Then other times I just worry about coding something cool in python.

rtomek at ceti

Re: John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words [In reply to]

On Wed, 2 May 2012, Michael Torrie wrote:

> On 05/02/2012 09:31 AM, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 May 2012, jaialai.technology [at] gmail wrote:
> >> OP lives out of his car and his main source of income seems to be ad
> >> revenue from his website.
>
> I'm always curious about this sort of thing. Do you know this for a
> fact, jaialai.technology?

I guess everything we can tell about Xah comes from his own website's
"about me" pages :-).

> >> He may be nuts be he is pretty smart and some of the articles he has up
> >> there are worth reading. Still, he has to promote it in some way and by
> >> constantly posting these sorts of things he brings people to his site.
> >> I'm honestly impressed he can survive this way so I am willing to
> >> ignore or maybe killfile his postings and leave him be.
> >
> > He may be smart but obviously hasn't figured out this yet: positive aura
> > drives more people and more permamently towards you. Perhaps he should
> > develop an alter ego that could stand side by side with Dalai Lama and see
> > which one gets more attention.
>
> He appears to have some degree of the Aspergers/autism spectrum
> disorder. He quite literally cannot understand how people see him and
> why other people don't recognize his genius (both real and imagined).
> At least this is one possibility.

>From what I have learned, Aspergers know there is a "language" that other
people speak that makes them comfortable with each other, but are unable
to reproduce it (in a manner similar to, say, Englishman living in France
for years, with Frenchmen not very content about his broken accent). OTOH
people with autism, even so called Highly Functioning Autism, neither
understand there is such a language, nor give a damn (abovementioned
Englishman lives in France without realizing guys around him speak
differently).

About geniuses - I have heard they stand up and deliver, do not rant. Xah
has his strong points - they come up on his website, but interaction is
probably not one of them.

Perhaps Xah (and other guys) have particularly hard time with being
attacked by depression and react by ranting? This, or some kind of
narcistic delirium.

Of course, all of those are just my somewhat-semi-educated guesses.

> Others who have crossed this list appear to have aspergers or autism
> too, such as Ranting Rick. He pops up occasionally, posts quite
> normally and even helpfully, and then lapses back into periods of
> ranting about how he can fix python and we all should be doing
> something. He refuses to write code to put his ideas into practice, and
> berates the list readers for being lazy and unwilling to code this
> ideas. Then eventually he disappears for months even years at a time

Well? I thought there were some languages similar in form to Python, that
could satisfy anybody looking for such form "only with few features
different". I don't remember their names - but just staying here and doing
like you describe does not look rational.

> before resurfacing. I've always been curious to know more about Rick.
> Where does he work? How does he live, and what does he do outside of
> the python list (he appears to only use his e-mail address on this list).

Yep. It is always interesting, in a way.

I think if they do not have constant income, they probably live a
miserable lifes in some shack, working on hardware in a pre-death state,
reanimated and resuscitated and breaking again...

Or maybe not. Afterall, ability to resuscitate computer can be sold, too.

> Then other times I just worry about coding something cool in python.

Or some other language :-)

Regards,
Tomasz Rola

Re: John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words [In reply to]

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:22 AM, Tomasz Rola <rtomek [at] ceti> wrote:
> I think you can catch more girls with honey and I'm not sure if I'd like
> to catch those who prefer vinegar. I think we can make it into some kind
> of law, say Angelico-Rola Law (of girlscatching), ok?
>
> "One cannot catch a girl on honey without catching some flies in the
> process."
>
> Or is it a hypothesis?

This has the makings of a publication in a respected scientific
journal, I think. We should totally pursue that... next time we're
bored and have no interesting problems to solve by writing code.

Also, I lolled. :)

ChrisA

rosuav at gmail

Re: John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words [In reply to]

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Michael Torrie <torriem [at] gmail> wrote:
> Others who have crossed this list appear to have aspergers or autism
> too, such as Ranting Rick. He pops up occasionally, posts quite
> normally and even helpfully, and then lapses back into periods of
> ranting about how he can fix python and we all should be doing
> something. He refuses to write code to put his ideas into practice, and
> berates the list readers for being lazy and unwilling to code this
> ideas. Then eventually he disappears for months even years at a time
> before resurfacing. I've always been curious to know more about Rick.
> Where does he work? How does he live, and what does he do outside of
> the python list (he appears to only use his e-mail address on this list).

My first thought was that he was the alt of some regular poster - that
he's the email account used for trolling, keeping it separate from the
regular address. But that theory hasn't really gained credence.

ChrisA

pjb at informatimago

Re: John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words [In reply to]

Tim Bradshaw <tfb [at] tfeb> writes:

> On 2012-05-02 14:44:36 +0000, jaialai.technology [at] gmail said:
>
>> He may be nuts
>
> But he's right: programmers are pretty much fuckwits[*]: if you think
> that's not true you are not old enough.
>
> [*] including me, especially.

You need to watch:
http://blog.ted.com/2012/02/29/the-only-way-to-learn-to-fly-is-to-fly-regina-dugan-at-ted2012/