Hi,

It is confusing to me what the best workflow is for python module
development. There is setup.py, egg. Also, pip, easy_install.

Could any expert suggest an authoritative and complete guide for
developing python modules? Thanks!

Regards,
Peng

gordon at panix

Re: python module development workflow [In reply to]

In <2900f481-fbe9-4da3-a7ca-5485d1cebc78 [at] m13g2000yqc> Peng Yu <pengyu.ut [at] gmail> writes:

> It is confusing to me what the best workflow is for python module
> development. There is setup.py, egg. Also, pip, easy_install.

It's unclear what you are asking.

How to develop your own modules?

How to package and distribute your own modules once they're finished?

How to install modules that other people have developed?

gordon [at] panix B is for Basil, assaulted by bears

pengyu.ut at gmail

Re: python module development workflow [In reply to]

On Apr 11, 10:25 am, John Gordon <gor...@panix.com> wrote:
> In <2900f481-fbe9-4da3-a7ca-5485d1ceb...@m13g2000yqc.googlegroups.com> Peng Yu <pengyu...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > It is confusing to me what the best workflow is for python module
> > development. There is setup.py, egg. Also, pip, easy_install.
>
> It's unclear what you are asking.
>
> How to develop your own modules?
>
> How to package and distribute your own modules once they're finished?

I'm asking these two questions.

miki.tebeka at gmail

Re: python module development workflow [In reply to]

> Could any expert suggest an authoritative and complete guide for
> developing python modules? Thanks!
I'd start with http://docs.python.org/distutils/index.html

nagle at animats

Re: python module development workflow [In reply to]

On 4/11/2012 1:04 PM, Miki Tebeka wrote:
>> Could any expert suggest an authoritative and complete guide for
>> developing python modules? Thanks!
> I'd start with http://docs.python.org/distutils/index.html

Make sure that

python setup.py build
python setup.py install

works.

Don't use the "rotten egg" distribution system.
(http://packages.python.org/distribute/easy_install.html)

John Nagle

rustompmody at gmail

Re: python module development workflow [In reply to]

On Apr 11, 8:38 pm, Peng Yu <pengyu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 11, 10:25 am, John Gordon <gor...@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > In <2900f481-fbe9-4da3-a7ca-5485d1ceb...@m13g2000yqc.googlegroups.com> Peng Yu <pengyu...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > > It is confusing to me what the best workflow is for python module
> > > development. There is setup.py, egg. Also, pip, easy_install.
>
> > It's unclear what you are asking.
>
> > How to develop your own modules?
>
> > How to package and distribute your own modules once they're finished?
>
> I'm asking these two questions.

You need to ask these two questions separately.

For the first you'll get good answers here if you can be more
specific.

The second is a good question which will not get useful answers
because python's package and distribute system(s) are in a flux. In
all fairness this is so for most languages which have as bad messes in
this domain. eg Haskell's cabal
http://cdsmith.wordpress.com/2011/01/16/haskells-own-dll-hell/
http://ivanmiljenovic.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/repeat-after-me-cabal-is-not-a-package-manager/