Mailing List Archive: Python: Python

import curses -> no module named curses

hanshrodeck at compuserve

Jan 23, 2002, 11:03 AM

import curses -> no module named curses

While exploring python 2.2 for Windows with : python test_curses.py, I
get the message: import error no module named curses.
I cant find the file curses.py in the python-directories and can
therefore not control the module-search-path. Did I miss something in
the documentation and I have to get this module from another source?

phd at phd

Jan 23, 2002, 11:16 AM

import curses -> no module named curses [In reply to]

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 07:03:14PM +0100, Hans-Henning Rodeck wrote:
> While exploring python 2.2 for Windows with : python test_curses.py, I
> get the message: import error no module named curses.
> I cant find the file curses.py in the python-directories and can
> therefore not control the module-search-path. Did I miss something in
> the documentation and I have to get this module from another source?

You missed directory curses and module _cursesmodule.c.

Oleg.
--
Oleg Broytmann http://phd.pp.ru/ phd [at] phd

akuchlin at mems-exchange

Jan 23, 2002, 12:16 PM

import curses -> no module named curses [In reply to]

In article <3C4EFAE2.B8C8552B [at] compuserve>, Hans-Henning Rodeck wrote:
> While exploring python 2.2 for Windows with : python test_curses.py, I
> get the message: import error no module named curses.

Curses isn't available for Windows. If you want text-mode interfaces
on Windows, you're better off using the 'console' package, available at
http://effbot.org/downloads/ .

--amk (www.amk.ca)
A man who recognizes no God is probably placing an inordinate value on
himself.
-- Robertson Davies, _Conversations_

phd at phd

Jan 23, 2002, 2:12 PM

import curses -> no module named curses [In reply to]

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 07:16:33PM +0000, A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> Curses isn't available for Windows.

Curses IS vailable on Windows, but not by default. One needs to install
PDcurses (PDcurses.sf.net) and Python wrapper for it (the wrapper's site is
temporary offline, though).

Oleg.
--
Oleg Broytmann http://phd.pp.ru/ phd [at] phd

chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers

Jan 23, 2002, 10:28 PM

import curses -> no module named curses [In reply to]

> In article <3C4EFAE2.B8C8552B [at] compuserve>, Hans-Henning Rodeck wrote:
> > While exploring python 2.2 for Windows with : python test_curses.py, I
> > get the message: import error no module named curses.
>
> Curses isn't available for Windows. If you want text-mode interfaces
> on Windows, you're better off using the 'console' package, available at
> http://effbot.org/downloads/ .

I had so much trouble getting the console module to work correctly,
that I wrote my own, WConio. It works much better for me, particularly
in the interactive interpreter.

http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/wconio.html

However I'm not running 2.2 yet and so have not built this package for that
version yet. Any volunteers?